Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default Threads about using BB's without BB plans

Please Login to Remove!

Is anyone else as sick of this crap as I am?

You cheapskates need to just fork out the money for the right plan, rather than trying to work around it. If you can afford the device, you should be able to afford the plan. If you have T-Mobile, you definitely have no excuse. BB service can cost as little as $20/mo. with a voice plan.

If all you want is a keyboard, then buy a Nokia E61i, E70, or a Windows Mobile device.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Is anyone else as sick of this crap as I am?

You cheapskates need to just fork out the money for the right plan, rather than trying to work around it. If you can afford the device, you should be able to afford the plan. If you have T-Mobile, you definitely have no excuse. BB service can cost as little as $20/mo. with a voice plan.

If all you want is a keyboard, then buy a Nokia E61i, E70, or a Windows Mobile device.

LOL agreed. the fact is data really isn't cheap...with the small exception to T-Mobile. All of the whiners in the US should move to Canada and experience what it's like to get charged per MB of usage by Rogers...that's rapage if I ever heard of it. Everyone in the US is spoiled with their unlimited data plans lol.

I have T-Mobile and I think it's the best deal around for data. Coverage wise it may be lacking, but I'll be making a complete switch to Verizon in 4 months. Right now I have a Verizon cell phone with a T-Mobile BB plan (just the way it worked out when I first started at my company with a Verizon company phone)
Old 07-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

I actually get a kick out of all the folks who think they can beat the system.

"I had a Motorola and I could seem edit what I wanted, so I'll find a way to hack the BB to work cause I know everything about hacking mobile phones from my Motorola" <--By far my favourite logic people give for how they'll be able to do what no one else can.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
jdub71

Model: 9530
Carrier: Alltel

Wirelessly posted (Pearl 8100: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.8295/1690; en; U; ssr))

I've been one of those trying to use a bberry without a bberry plan. Cellular one of east Texas doesn't offer a bberry plan but the have the only reliable gsm service in my area since att re-bought Cingular. I pay 40 for my unlimited data plan to a regional carrier and love the pearl so I'm doing my best to make it work. There are a few of us trying to do this and are getting close to usable since gmail offers a downloadable mail program. So its not just cheapskates.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Yup tired of it as well. ATT didnt really by Cingular the two companys that owned cingy merged and took the ATT name as I understand it
Old 07-05-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Buying a Berry (or any other converged device) and not getting a data plan seems like buying an expensive steak dinner and only eating the baked potato. Wouldn't it make more sense to just order a baked potato?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

I grew tired of it a long time ago. But i see some of them are due to no BB service in there area. I wouldnt buy a blackberry with out the BB plan because thats the only thing that makes it worth having.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 07-31-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
silicontrip

Model: Pearl
PIN: 25096285
Carrier: Telstra

I am one of these unfortunate users that are unable to get a BB data plan. My carrier doesn't support it and I'm locked in a contract.

I was under the false assumption that when the sales guy said, you need data services, he was refering to the internet data services which I did have on my previous phone.

I went over budget to purchase the phone because it appeared to be able to "do it all" rather than a cheaper phone that will require finding software. Thinking "ok, it's 700 dollars but I won't have to worry about spending anymore for additional services"
Only to discover that the device cannot "do it all" without the BB data plan.

Now I'm looking at needing to change my phone number, which I've had for over 10 years. And paying more than double my current monthly spend, to have the service enabled, with a different carrier.

It really does seem to be the realm of business people who can claim it against their tax, or people who have disposable incomes "I want it and I don't care how much it costs"

Normally in the computer industry, you buy a cheap device (printer) and pay through the nose for consumables (ink)
Or buy and expensive device with cheaper running costs.

It seems like this device has the worst of both worlds. Premium device cost and premium service cost.

Is it just Australia where we get reemed for anything mentioning mobile and internet?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:31 PM   #9
Tucker

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A

I am one of the people looking for a way to have the BB with out the plan. Cheap maybe but I work for a local goverment that is too cheap to spend money on new technology so we do what we can with what we have to work with. We are able to purchase the devices fairly cheap but if we don't use the BB for anything but access to email and other outlook info then why pay for the plan if there is a way around it. I would like to think that if this is the town your pay your taxes in you might appreciate some of us "cheap" people...
Old 08-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Uh, ok. Can you help me think of a way around paying my taxes, then?

There are ways to avoid getting a Data Plan, yes. None of those options give you the BB experience or full data as you would have with the true Data Plan. Possible, yes. Optimal, no.

Likewise, I can avoid paying my taxes and there are ways around such, but the alternative of sitting in jail does not compare with the freedom I have by paying the taxes in the first place.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:45 PM   #11
Tucker

Model: 8300
Wink

Very nicely put.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

But please don't misunderstand me... I am fine with anyone who wants to use the workarounds to get internet via Opera Mini and tcp, etc. The carriers know about those loopholes and would block them if they wanted.

It is those people for which that doesn't work for some reason, or who demand more (like well why can't I get the push email too, etc) who become irritating. (I can respect persistence, but not being a jerk). Or those who just want to rant and cuss when they find out AFTER the fact of buying the BB, that they also need a BlackBerry Data Plan. I have very little patience for those.

Last edited by JSanders; 08-02-2007 at 09:12 PM..
Old 08-02-2007, 09:06 PM   #13
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I am on the other side of the fence.... I can't stand people who want to cheat, steal and fraud the carriers... In the end all they are doing is rasing OUR bill... Someone is paying for their dishonesty and it's not the carriers...

Kris
Old 08-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I wouldn't call it "stealing" data from them. The carriers make the data available that way and even give out the apn settings so that users can use their data with a BB.

I see nothing wrong with those who wish to purchase a BB without a BB data plan. They should get no less help than others here who pay for the BB data plan. There are many reasons people don't get BB data plans. Some have been posted here already. Even I have provided my wife a new white TMo Pearl, unlocked it, and let her use it with her Unicel account. Unicel doesn't even offer a BB data plan but the Pearl makes a nice phone/pda. She likes the calendar application and the capability of syncing it with her Outlook so she has access to her calendar when she's out and about.

Everyone has a right to their opinion. Likewise, everyone has a right to ask for help on this forum even though they don't have a data plan. gprs phone plans work well on the BB with the right setup and we should help all those looking for help with it.

Let's be tolerant of everyone.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #15
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Well said JC and I do agree... I have no problems if someone wants to use a BB without a data plan.... I know more than a few who do for the exact reason as you stated... Calendar, sync with Outlook, and a qwerty BB is a sms machine!

My comments are more directed at the ones who try and override the system, dream up all kinds of crazy ways of getting a data plan... The most recent was to carry a laptop with a belt clip on it next to the BB.... At least that's what the persons fix amounted to.....

Kris
Old 08-03-2007, 12:24 AM   #16
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndub33 View Post
Buying a Berry (or any other converged device) and not getting a data plan seems like buying an expensive steak dinner and only eating the baked potato. Wouldn't it make more sense to just order a baked potato?
I agree. A co worker picked up a Treo on ebay then activated without a data plan. When I questioned him on it, he said he only really wanted it for the calendar and didn't want to spend the whole $15 Sprint commands for its unlimited data plan. Every time I see him with his basically dumb brick on his belt, I laugh to myself.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:26 AM   #17
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
I am on the other side of the fence.... I can't stand people who want to cheat, steal and fraud the carriers... In the end all they are doing is rasing OUR bill... Someone is paying for their dishonesty and it's not the carriers...

Kris
Neither can Sprint, that is why they dumped all those customers.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:43 AM   #18
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I agree. A co worker picked up a Treo on ebay then activated without a data plan. When I questioned him on it, he said he only really wanted it for the calendar and didn't want to spend the whole $15 Sprint commands for its unlimited data plan. Every time I see him with his basically dumb brick on his belt, I laugh to myself.
Some do not need email, PIN, or net access... I am fine with that... It's when they need it and steal it that bothers me...

LunkJr has an 8100 with NO data plan but he is NOT asking for ways to steal service either....
Old 08-05-2007, 11:13 PM   #19
xspeedy

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT

There are always reasons for things. Blackberry phones are thought to be excellent handsets in general. I'm in a situation where my work pays for my phone, but won't pay for BB service. In other words, I have a regular WAP data plan that I can access.

I have a Samsung Blackjack that works reasonably well, but doesn't interoperate well with my BMW BT system. I know the Blackberries work well. I also prefer the BB mini-USB port for charging - it offers more flexibility than the proprietary Samsung port. The battery life on the 8800 is supposed to be much better and the integrated GPS on the 8800 doesn't hurt to have.

I picked up a refurb to try out. I'll see if I can get Opera Mini to access the web using my regular data plan, and I'll see if I can get Google Maps to work with the internal GPS. I'm sure there are challenges, but I won't know unless I try.

Perhaps BB should make a unit for those that don't want BB services.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:23 PM   #20
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Why would they? BlackBerrys were made as an email machine, requiring data.

Let's see if BMW will make a car without wheels and doesn't require gas (ALL that extra money each month!). After all, somebody might want one for the cool sound system and comfortable seats--EVEN though it was made to be car.
Closed Thread