Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #21
coreymtl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido

Please Login to Remove!

Actually it did. Before I was on the CityFido plan which gave limited reception especially in places like my basement or garage. I would end up with either zero or one bars. Now I have like 4 bars since I think adding the BB connect put me on the Rogers network which we normally pay extra for. However, that is not available on the City Fido plan. WOOHOO!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 PM   #22
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

;) glad to help Corey

edit:

he speaks the truth about the reception thing... fido users have the options to have expanded network added to the account which will let you access rogers towers... with the BB Connect, since its all off rogers towers, we can now use all the towers there are both fido and rogers...

Last edited by Cory Scheuer; 05-20-2008 at 10:33 PM..
Old 05-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #23
DataCentre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 3GS
Carrier: Rogers

I wanted to go up on the BB Connect plan, and I too was told that I had to stick with my crappy plan as it's no longer available. Crappy!

Oh...yeah....when I got my new BB with the plan, my reception also boosted up. I'm able to talk on my phone in places I never used to have any signal. Woohoo!
Old 05-22-2008, 11:14 PM   #24
prodigee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Fido (City, Unlimited)

yeah, i just call fido & tell them to add the bb connect pkg. no questions asked. if they do ask, i'll tell them to just add it because i want it & i've been a loyal customer for years.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #25
WorldIRC
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Expanded network option is so that you don't pay an extra 25cents a minute for when you are OUTSIDE THE ORIGINAL FIDO COVERAGE area...you are still utilizing the FULL Rogers network..the difference is paying for it or not. Don't forget, the networks were completely merged into one network for ROGERS AND FIDO USERS a few years ago. There is no more "fido towers" or "rogers towers"...the only difference now is the zone in which you pay to use vs not paying extra to use.

I work for the company...trust me on this.

Last edited by WorldIRC; 05-23-2008 at 01:54 PM..
Old 05-23-2008, 07:13 PM   #26
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

World, i work as well for the company... specifically in tech support
Old 07-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #27
fjiwa

hi, i called fido today to add blackberry service to my account and was told they are no longer offering blackberry service. is there any way around this? any ideas? I purchased a 8320 today and was shocked to learn that fido no longer offers this service. it was only reason i purchased this phone. been with fido for years (whole family is with fido!). don't want to switch to rogers as I have the city fido plan.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #28
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: it is under my battery, and status page
Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't even have fido on my blackberry
Old 07-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #29
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Sounds like FIDO is turning into a dog.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:23 AM   #30
Horizon Wireless
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 9920
PIN: 3218B513
Carrier: ROGERS AND FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeypants View Post
There is no way around this. They killed of BBC a month or so ago. The only way to get it is to take over the contract of someone who already has it.
Well to be honest, i fought tooth and nail with retention for 45 min and i got it AFTER it was canceled.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #31
fjiwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon Wireless View Post
Well to be honest, i fought tooth and nail with retention for 45 min and i got it AFTER it was canceled.
saw your reply to my post.

I need BB Connect on my Fido plan. I have a 8320 i bought which is unlocked but useless without a blackberry plan.

can you tell me how you got the service after it was cancelled? I have talked to retention twice and they say nothing they can do. I don't want to switch to rogers because I have the city fido plan.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #32
tarisea

Model: 8100
Default Blackberry 8100 Pearl

I have the Pearl and I love it. It is unlocked from T-Mobile and I am using it on Fido. I have the old City Fido which gives me the bigger network area and the unlimited minutes. If it weren't for City Fido I would have left Fido a very long time ago. Anyway other than the up button for my volume being broken (and I hear this is pretty common) my pearl works great. My only problem is I cannot access the internet. I don't have a data package but I should still be able to access the internet correct? I would just get charged through the nose. No internet period. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks for the help gurus.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #33
DataCentre

I was lucky to have caught the BB Connect plan before they discontinued it, but I wanted to increase my data plan and was told that I was stuck with my 3MB /month plan for $15. I really have to watch what I do on my phone, so actually this month I'm going to Rogers and taking advantage of their 6GB /month data on a 3 yr contract. So I'm going for the Curve and retiring my 8100. I don't mind the contract as I've been with FIDO for about 5 years now, and I do need a cell phone...no worries.

All I have to do is get Rogers to get me about equal to what I pay per month with FIDO or better. Have a corporate rate with Rogers through the company I work with.

Anyone know if Rogers has an option to add on unlimited incoming calls?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #34
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarisea View Post
I have the Pearl and I love it. It is unlocked from T-Mobile and I am using it on Fido. I have the old City Fido which gives me the bigger network area and the unlimited minutes. If it weren't for City Fido I would have left Fido a very long time ago. Anyway other than the up button for my volume being broken (and I hear this is pretty common) my pearl works great. My only problem is I cannot access the internet. I don't have a data package but I should still be able to access the internet correct? I would just get charged through the nose. No internet period. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks for the help gurus.

No you will not be able to access the internet at all without a blackberry data plan, which fido no longer offers... sorry
Old 07-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #35
tarisea

Default You're kidding

Unbelievable. All this started because of a game I wanted to throw on my phone which is only available by downloading directly to the phone. I always figured at some point I would add a data plan but I wanted to see what the internet looked like on the Pearl first. So no game, no email and no internet. the only reason I stay is no one can beat the original city fido.

The Fido Hostage.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #36
tarisea

Default wait

if I can't get internet then what's this
fido.ca/web/content/sdp/wia_options[/url]

it even says non-certified phones
Old 07-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #37
DataCentre

They are meaning phones that FIDO does not sell in their stores. But they won't give you BB Connect, but you can still sign up for Internet Browsing. Not sure tho if it will work on the BB. Still....signing a 3 year contract with Rogers for a 6GB /month data plan for $30 is your best bet.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:44 AM   #38
ianspam

Model: 7100
Carrier: fido
Default Fido has made my nokia e62 obsolete

I have the nokia e62 and have been using the blackberry push email option. As promised Fido has allowed me to cancel and buy back into this option whenever I want - until this month. Without any prior warning they have disconnected the service and don't offer an alternative which makes the phone's original purpose for me useless, although my contract still has over 1 year left. Fido can't make up their mind if there is a work around solution but customer service suggests that a "fetch" email could be setup. Customer service is unable to walk me through it technically and won't allow me to speak with tech support directly. Anyone suggestions?
Old 08-18-2008, 12:41 AM   #39
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

email me at [email address] and i will try to help you out the best i can...
Old 09-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #40
herewego83

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Help a husband and wife

I live in Philly and my wife is in Toronto until july. We want to be able to communicate as much as possible. She has Fido, and it looks like she cannot get a blackberry plan so we can Blackberry message each other.... which stinks.
I was informed that yahoo messenger is a great messenger app for the blackberry, and uses data...

If she has an unlocked blackberry and uses that on her Fido plan, is there a way she can add data (one Fido rep said $30 for 6gb) and use yahoo messenger on her phone? That way we can message back and forth without huge text message costs....

any other suggestions? she cannot start a new contract since she will be leaving canada in july.
Closed Thread