Old 11-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
rextilleon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Bee Jive Pricing Models

Please Login to Remove!

I'm amazed. I bought Jive Talk for my Curve a couple of weeks ago. My Curve was stolen this week. I tried to download and use my PAID for copy of Jive Talk on my new Curve and Bee Jive claims I can't because my copy isn't transferable.

Wouldn't it be simple enough to cancel the service on the stolen Curve and create a new license number tied to the pin on your new unit?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Do you have your old key. I think you can unregister your old device and register your key to your new device.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Also, did you buy the $20 license or the $30 license? The $30 license is the only one that is transferrable.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Which version did you purchase?

They have a device version 19.95. Can only be used on one device

They have a user version for 29.95. can be transferred to new devices as you get them (one at a time)
Old 11-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

so that explains it. maybe you can upgrade. If they hassle you come back here and point them to this thread. For 10 bucks they ought to keep people happy.

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 11-10-2007 at 09:29 AM..
Old 11-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8800: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

They are reputable, honest people. Maybe they can do you a favor, and maybe you will read what you are buying in the future, since you are given a choice, as pointed out above.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
rextilleon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks guys----I just paid the 19.95 not bothering to read about paying another ten bucks for a transferable license. I have been trying to get hold of them, but they don't seem to respond to emails.

Anyway, I really think this is a bogus way to sell software. The facts are simple, people change their phones, update their phones, have their phones stolen. To charge a ten dollar premium to pay for the "honor" of legimately transferring a license is in my mind, the ultimate in greed. Remember, they allow you to transfer licenses on line if you have spent the additional ten dollars so how complex can it be---you cancel one pin and put in your new pin. They are protected in that the software is used on only one device, so I don't buy the piracy argument.

Licenses are transferable in the software world, without fee. For instance, I just sold a copy of Photoshop to a friend, and Adobe had no problem transffering my license to his name.

Anyhow, maybe if they would respond, I wouldn't be as ticked off. I like the software and have recommended it to several people. Now, I will call them back and tell them to be leery.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
Thanks guys----I just paid the 19.95 not bothering to read about paying another ten bucks for a transferable license. I have been trying to get hold of them, but they don't seem to respond to emails.

Anyway, I really think this is a bogus way to sell software. The facts are simple, people change their phones, update their phones, have their phones stolen. To charge a ten dollar premium to pay for the "honor" of legimately transferring a license is in my mind, the ultimate in greed. Remember, they allow you to transfer licenses on line if you have spent the additional ten dollars so how complex can it be---you cancel one pin and put in your new pin. They are protected in that the software is used on only one device, so I don't buy the piracy argument.

Licenses are transferable in the software world, without fee. For instance, I just sold a copy of Photoshop to a friend, and Adobe had no problem transffering my license to his name.

Anyhow, maybe if they would respond, I wouldn't be as ticked off. I like the software and have recommended it to several people. Now, I will call them back and tell them to be leery.
But they offer a transferable one and its plainly stated. I had the same issue is it beejives fault no its mine I only bought the device lic. Now i am having to buy the user one now and spoend twice as much money. No one to blame but my self for being a cheapskate.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:

If they were 'hiding' the fact that the $19.99 license was non-transferable I'd agree with you. However, since you stated you didn't 'bother' to read about the other license, then it's not BeeJive's fault - it's yours.

And posting your irritation on multiple forums (when it's your own fault) may not win you any sympathy when they do return your emails.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

Yep, and I've posted it here MANY times that I recommend paying the extra $10 for the transferrable license. Otherwise one will be in your predicament.

Honestly, BeeJive owes you nothing. You went the cheaper route and took a gamble. Personally, I think they should just do away with the one device license and sell only the transferrable license for $29 but that's just me.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #11
rextilleon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
If they were 'hiding' the fact that the $19.99 license was non-transferable I'd agree with you. However, since you stated you didn't 'bother' to read about the other license, then it's not BeeJive's fault - it's yours.

And posting your irritation on multiple forums (when it's your own fault) may not win you any sympathy when they do return your emails.
My assumption was that one device meant one device at a time--yes my fault. Nevertheless, I still stand by what I said. Its a bogus policy. Again, its just another way to squeeze people. Its easy enough to assure that one purchased license goes on one phone-----they do it themselves on the website.

By the way, I agree with the poster---sell only the 29 dollar license. The other is moronic and screams greed.

Last edited by rextilleon; 11-10-2007 at 12:31 PM..
Old 11-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #12
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
By the way, are you stalking me. Mind your own business. There is no law against posting on several different forums. Obviously you read them.
That's funny.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #13
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Slow down there, Turbo. I was around when they started JiveTalk. They wanted $29 for their license but were concerned that might be too expensive for some. So, they included a cheaper, one device, license. It was not a way to squeeze more money out. They have to maintain a server for the system to work on, provide ongoing support, etc. A one-time, $29 is not too much for a quality app like JiveTalk. If you don't think it's reasonably priced, go check out IM+.

Nobody is stalking you. Some of us do post on multiple boards. It's not stalking. It's called helping others. Ranting about something like this on multiple boards is not going to help your cause. You are the first one I've seen complain about JiveTalk's pricing structure.

Next time READ the license agreement. It's right there for you to see. It's YOUR fault. Not mine. Not Juwaack's. Not BeeJive's.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #14
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Slow down there, Turbo. I was around when they started JiveTalk. They wanted $29 for their license but were concerned that might be too expensive for some. So, they included a cheaper, one device, license. It was not a way to squeeze more money out. They have to maintain a server for the system to work on, provide ongoing support, etc. A one-time, $29 is not too much for a quality app like JiveTalk. If you don't think it's reasonably priced, go check out IM+.

Nobody is stalking you. Some of us do post on multiple boards. It's not stalking. It's called helping others. Ranting about something like this on multiple boards is not going to help your cause. You are the first one I've seen complain about JiveTalk's pricing structure.

Next time READ the license agreement. It's right there for you to see. It's YOUR fault. Not mine. Not Juwaack's. Not BeeJive's.

Preach on Brother
Old 11-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #15
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
I'm amazed. I bought Jive Talk for my Curve a couple of weeks ago. My Curve was stolen this week. I tried to download and use my PAID for copy of Jive Talk on my new Curve and Bee Jive claims I can't because my copy isn't transferable.

Wouldn't it be simple enough to cancel the service on the stolen Curve and create a new license number tied to the pin on your new unit?
Some comments I'd like to make:

(1) BeeJive might be a small company - I think a single amazing developer wrote JiveTalk as a home business and it became a blockbuster application. (one person, possibly two people -- one to develop software, and one for everything else). Meaning he might get too much emails;

(2) Spam filters have been way too aggressive these days; your email may have not been seen. Try sending to them from a different email address, or through a website form;

(3) There are a few people trying to con companies out of free copies of software, and it's very hard for them to tell apart the genuine requests from the fraudulent requests.

Try forwarding your registration email to them (Fwd: JiveTalk Registration) and typing something at the top of the forward, explaining your situation and see if they help. They might not be able to, but I would suggest giving BeeJive some slack because what I know they are pretty good people; just I think there's legitimate reasons why they didn't respond, as I've explained. As I am a consultant myself, I can relate to the difficulties of a small startup that aims to sell enough software to pay to put food on the table.

An idea to to BeeJive: Perhaps they could set up a tech support offer: "Upgrade Offer: JiveTalk $17.95 upgrade for people who want to upgrade to the transferrable version, for reasons such as stolen or lost unit, as long as we can find proof of registration". (This is only $5 more expensive - and puts $19.95 + 17.95 = $37.90 in BeeJive's pocket while eliminating your need to pay $29.95 all over again, and makes people happy)

$29.95 - Transferrable license
$19.95 - Non-transferrable license
$17.95 - Upgrade a non-transferrable license to a transferrable license

Or it could be:
$29.95 - License allowing BONUS FREE transfers to future phones!
$19.95 - License that requires $15 per transfer
$15.00 - Transfer Fee: To Transfer JiveTalk to another BlackBerry

(I like the latter better: It's easier for Average Joe Users to understand: It's like a phone number transfer, etc.)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 11-10-2007 at 03:03 PM..
Old 11-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #16
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
PIN: Montblanc
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
$29.95 - Transferrable license
$19.95 - Non-transferrable license
$17.95 - Upgrade a non-transferrable license to a transferrable license

Or it could be:
$29.95 - License allowing BONUS FREE transfers to future phones!
$19.95 - License that requires $15 per transfer
$15.00 - Transfer Fee: To Transfer JiveTalk to another BlackBerry

(I like the latter better: It's easier for Average Joe Users to understand: It's like a phone number transfer, etc.)
I think they should just pick ONE price - $24.95 or $29.95 and make it transferrable. No choice to make, no tiered pricing structure. Doesn't get any simpler.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #17
Black Magic
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireproof View Post
I think they should just pick ONE price - $24.95 or $29.95 and make it transferrable. No choice to make, no tiered pricing structure. Doesn't get any simpler.
I agree.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #18
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

I am jumping back in here. I really don't care who read what or what read whom. I have dealt with many BB developers. Beejive should just make it right and fix their program going foward. The bad press, right or wrong aint worth it.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #19
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I disagree. While BeeJive may "take it in the shorts" and help this guy out because they are a reputable company and don't want the bad press, I don't believe they should have to. It's up to BeeJive, but personally, I don't think they have to do anything.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #20
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Carrier: at&t

Does this even qualify as "bad press" or a user complaining about not understanding what they bought? If they do nothing in regard to this issue, more than likely, they will see very little impact to their business. If anything more people will buck up and pay for the transferable version, seeing this example.