BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #101
miladinoski

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile US

Please Login to Remove!

I just want to note to you, I have a BlackBerry Pearl 8100 on a family plan (with 1000 msgs and unlimited voice) w/o BES/BIS and voice/txt work great, so there's nothing there for me to complain.

By entering the APN wap.voicestream.com and resending the generic TMo service books, some apps even started to work (like MilkSync, IM+ Lite, BB Maps, but not OMini, etc.) I am very satisfied with the phone and so far it's doing a great job for me without the additional $30 per month.

So to the OP, he can try switching to T-Mobile and it will work, at least it did for me.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #102
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by miladinoski
I just want to note to you, I have a BlackBerry Pearl 8100 on a family plan (with 1000 msgs and unlimited voice) w/o BES/BIS and voice/txt work great, so there's nothing there for me to complain.

By entering the APN wap.voicestream.com and resending the generic TMo service books, some apps even started to work (like MilkSync, IM+ Lite, BB Maps, but not OMini, etc.) I am very satisfied with the phone and so far it's doing a great job for me without the additional $30 per month.

So to the OP, he can try switching to T-Mobile and it will work, at least it did for me.
I don't know how you are using blackberry maps given your description; maybe a third-party mapping and navigation application, but not the blackberry/RIM mapping application. But I've never personally tried with a blackberry that didn't have a blackberry data plan.

Have you been billed yet since you have been using the TCP/IP APN data?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #103
miladinoski

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted

I don't know how you are using blackberry maps given your description; maybe a third-party mapping and navigation application, but not the blackberry/RIM mapping application. But I've never personally tried with a blackberry that didn't have a blackberry data plan.

I am using the BB Maps (not Google Maps or other 3rd party app) rerouted through the TMo APN through an application called Aerize WifiX, which I luckily have the license for (and is not sold anymore) and which can reroute applications to access the appropriate hosts through Wifi and/or TCP (applications that otherwise can't be used without BIS/BES). Not all applications work though, even after adding the hosts and chaning the connection type through it.

I haven't been billed (even though I don't have a data plan) and have been using this for something more than 2 months.

You can find a lot more details on this on Google, methinks.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #104
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

It's most likely Google Maps.

As far as I am aware, T-Mobile does not require a data plan on the 8100 devices.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 05-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #105
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by miladinoski
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted

I am using the BB Maps (not Google Maps or other 3rd party app) rerouted through the TMo APN through an application called Aerize WifiX, which I luckily have the license for (and is not sold anymore) and which can reroute applications to access the appropriate hosts through Wifi and/or TCP (applications that otherwise can't be used without BIS/BES). Not all applications work though, even after adding the hosts and chaning the connection type through it.

I haven't been billed (even though I don't have a data plan) and have been using this for something more than 2 months.

You can find a lot more details on this on Google, methinks.
You didn't mention Aerize WifiX earlier. That's news to me, but I'll take your word for it.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #106
miladinoski

Nope, actually Google Maps doesn't work, even w/ Aerize, but the BB Maps do, trust my word.

(even though I would wish it was the other way around, since GM is better than the RIM provided ones)...
Closed Thread