BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
demik1020
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7510
Carrier: Sprint
Default Which Bb Provider Do I Go With!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Login to Remove!

i'm ready to get a handheld. but i dont really want to deal with nextel anymore, so i'm looking for another provider. which is good?!?! i was really thinking of going over to tmobile since they have the new BB that i like.
which provider is better for BB?

which handheld is better? the MDA "TMOBILE", TREO, BB, OR SIDEKICK? why?

Email : [email address]
Aim : demik1020
yahoo : demik1020
Old 04-20-2006, 05:41 AM   #2
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

1) I have had 5 BB's with T-Mobile and have had great customer service with all of them. I have heard HORROR stories about Cingular BlackBerry service. Nextel seems to be improving except for their messaging services. Maybe some of the other users here with other carriers can offer input.

2) BlackBerry is much better than the Sidekick as far as reliability (I lost count of how many times I called about signal problems). Granted I had 5 BlackBerries but they had other problems also (I had 2 lose signal and 1 of them also had problems with the power button) but that's much better than having to call every 2 months for a new phone (rehashed my Original Color Sidekick last Nov. Got my first SK 2 in December and my 2nd SK2 in February). But the most reliable thing I found is that they take a lot of abuse and still keep ticking.

3) You'd be amazed at some of the drops I've heard from other BlackBerry users. Treo's I have heard are nothing but trouble.

4) I almost bought an SDA (didn't like the MDA) but I couldn't break my BlackBerry (aka CrackBerry) addiction and they will become addicting once you get one.

Hope this helps, and if u get a BlackBerry, you just got one of the most addicting devices on the planet.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #3
paradisephoto
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

Had Nextel, had Cingular, have friends with T-MO, have friends with Sprint, which is why I am with Verizon.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I'd choose based on coverage first. TMO does have much better customer service IMO.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
robber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by demik1020
which handheld is better? the MDA "TMOBILE", TREO, BB, OR SIDEKICK? why?
These are all very different devices.

BB is best for email. Also most are great on the voice side. Stable as hell with good battery life. Plans are expensive.

MDA/PPC are the most robust devices available. Streaming audio/video, mp3, fast processors- also the most complicated. These need significant tweaking out of the box to perform well IMO. Phone side is secondary and never much to write home about...pdaphonehome.com is an excellent resource for support

Treo- If you were to get a new treo 650 with the latest firmware and a new SIM you would be in pretty good shape. These devices were a disaster at first but over the last 2 years have really better. BB like push email is available- but not quite as reliable and requires a $30 program and an IMAP mailbox that is a couple bucks a month. Treos will do more multi-media stuff than a BB but not quite as much as a PPC. Battery life is good, treocentral.com is an excellent resource for support.

No experience with the sidekick.

Last edited by robber; 04-20-2006 at 01:40 PM..
Old 04-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
bcoutlander
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

I have to say I really have liked the Blackberry 7250 from Sprint when I have tried it. But, the problem is that I really don't want to have to pay the $45/month for the BB service. I currently use the Treo 650 and love it and with ChatterEmail you can have push-like email without the monthly fee. The Treo has been very stable for the 9 months or so for me. I may get a reset about every 2 or 3 weeks and most of that is due to the fact I am always trying out different programs.

If money were no object I would probably go for a BB on the Verizon network since they seem to have much better data coverage on the areas I travel alot.

What I will probably end up doing is waiting until the 7130 and Treo 700P are available for Sprint(I get a nice 30% total discount with Sprint) and decide between those two this summer. I am guessing I will end up with another Treo because for me of the cheaper monthly cost, the SD card for storage and the camera. While the camera is not the greatest it is pretty nice to have on hand with a growing little girl. Now if RIM ever came out with an 87xxx/71xx for Sprint with a camera, and some kind of external storage card, I would most likely switch to the BB at that point.

All that being said I would say look at the following things and decide which is most important: coverage, cost, reliablity and durablity. And then try out a device or two and then choose which one you like the best. Whlie the Treo is the best choice for me it may not be the best choice for you.

Good Luck
Closed Thread