Don't sweat it...
ehhh. chances are i'll do it..
Old 11-30-2008, 12:54 AM   #142
jnelson2000
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Hey guys,

Just remeber to also transfer the mesh covering from the speaker hole at top of the bezel and the mesh covering from the mic hole at bottom. This is different from the rubber mic peice.

If you do not do these mesh parts, you will have horrible feedback using the speakerphone. Just hold your hand down by the mic.

JN
Old 11-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #143
Insert Name

Model: 7100i
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Nextel

Not bad, I'll stick with colorware though.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #144
leed1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
Hey guys,

Just remeber to also transfer the mesh covering from the speaker hole at top of the bezel and the mesh covering from the mic hole at bottom. This is different from the rubber mic peice.

If you do not do these mesh parts, you will have horrible feedback using the speakerphone. Just hold your hand down by the mic.

JN
Which mesh covering are referring too? The silver mesh on the earpiece? If so that is behind the screen and is not part of the bezel. I have the feedback and thought I might have left something out and could not find any parts missing. After searching looks like the speakerphone feedback is happening to others without the bezel mod and it has been reported to be a software issue.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #145
spyder8800
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc7 View Post
That looks awesome.

Be sure to take your mother somewhere nice for dinner.

LMAO
Old 12-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #146
jnelson2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed1 View Post
Which mesh covering are referring too? The silver mesh on the earpiece? If so that is behind the screen and is not part of the bezel. I have the feedback and thought I might have left something out and could not find any parts missing. After searching looks like the speakerphone feedback is happening to others without the bezel mod and it has been reported to be a software issue.
the mesh covering on the inside of the bezel at the top center hole for the speakerphone. Not the headset, which is integrated into the LCD.

Itr is an ultra fine black mesh that is difficult to see withoout a flashlight. However, be careful not to rip it as it is ultra fine.

The feedback is an acoustical problem and not software related. If it happens without the mod then exchange the device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpgCA9P5DGN.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	13982   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpgCA12MXQL.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	13983  

Last edited by jnelson2000; 12-01-2008 at 10:34 PM..
Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #147
conker

PIN: 249E86E3

So I just finished replacing the bezel and buttons, and of course I forgot the SD card door - Argh :( Anyway, I will fix it tonight, and post pictures. A couple things to note for those of you that want to perform the mod. Make sure to watch the assembly and disassembly videos:

BlackBerry Bold 9000 OEM black bezel- Sony, Panasonic, Alcatel, 3G, Apple, SonyEricsson, Microsoft, BlackBerry, Dopod/

I ignored the step about taking the LCD apart, and that bit me. I know some people have stated that they were able to reassemble without going through this step, but it's not easy, they had more patience than me, or just got lucky that it all snapped into place. If you take the LCD screen off, it really makes the assembly process smoother. I did not, and struggled trying to put it all back together, a couple times my heart skipped a beat because of the weird snapping sounds I was hearing. In fact, I would not have discovered this crucial step if it were not for the fact that with all my fidgeting, the LCD screen came off the main board. That was my "ah ha" moment.

Note that the video does not show you how to remove the battery latch, and as others have mentioned, the 2 side charging connectors, and don't forget the SD card door like I did!

As far as the previous posters (jnelson2000) note about the 2 mesh coverings - thank you! I would have never caught that. However, I have no idea how you removed the top mesh, I ripped mine to shreds :(. jnelson2000, how did you remove the mesh?

As far as tools go, the plastic case opener (attachment from "carsmovies" post on page 1 of this thread) is not really crucial, but the other 2 are! Some kind of pointy device (what is this tool called?) really helps for removing the charging connectors, seating the button nipples/tabs and for removing the speaker meshes.

Learn from our mistakes (though I had no execuse after 4 pages of posts )!!!

Despite the pain and small heart attack, it was worth it. My Bold looks tight, and as you will see later tonight, is different from any others that I have seen posted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0775.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	14007  
Old 12-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #148
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
the mesh covering on the inside of the bezel at the top center hole for the speakerphone. Not the headset, which is integrated into the LCD.

Itr is an ultra fine black mesh that is difficult to see withoout a flashlight. However, be careful not to rip it as it is ultra fine.

The feedback is an acoustical problem and not software related. If it happens without the mod then exchange the device.
There is a very fine mesh at the top opening but not at the smaller button opening and the mesh is only there to prevent dust from getting it. It wouldn't affect any actual performance.

Last edited by carsmovies; 12-02-2008 at 07:14 PM..
Old 12-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #149
conker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsmovies View Post
There is a very fine mesh at the top opening but not at the smaller button opening and the mesh is only there to prevent dust from getting it. It wouldn't affect any actual performance.
phew!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #150
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

The botton right hand side opening is not the speaker anyway. That's on the left side for which you need to transfer the little rubber piece over to the black bezel. The larger bottom opening on the right side is for attaching a strap.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #151
jnelson2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsmovies View Post
The botton right hand side opening is not the speaker anyway. That's on the left side for which you need to transfer the little rubber piece over to the black bezel. The larger bottom opening on the right side is for attaching a strap.
You are correct. However, grab your OEM silver bezel and look at the speaker hole where the rubber peice gfoes. There is a small mesh covering which is glued onto the bezel backing.

Without that peice I have had bad feedback. Since moving over that peice the feedback has gone away.

I correct my statements above. It does look like 190 has feedback issues that are not related to hardware. I rolled back to 167 on one and the problem went away.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #152
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
You are correct. However, grab your OEM silver bezel and look at the speaker hole where the rubber peice gfoes. There is a small mesh covering which is glued onto the bezel backing.

Without that peice I have had bad feedback. Since moving over that peice the feedback has gone away.

I correct my statements above. It does look like 190 has feedback issues that are not related to hardware. I rolled back to 167 on one and the problem went away.

I'm sure you're right although it's pretty much impossible to see without taking mine apart but I just don't see how this mesh could have this feedback impact. The black bezel is definately not true OEM, I wonder if the silver one they sell is.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #153
jnelson2000

"The black bezel is definately not true OEM, I wonder if the silver one they sell is"

According to RIM, no cnn parts are OEM. However, I do know of 2 top execs in Waterloo that have Black Bezels. Hmmmm
Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 AM   #154
conker

Alright, checkout my colorware + Black Bezel + Black Buttons + Seido mod:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1193723
Old 12-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #155
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
"The black bezel is definately not true OEM, I wonder if the silver one they sell is"

According to RIM, no cnn parts are OEM. However, I do know of 2 top execs in Waterloo that have Black Bezels. Hmmmm
The black bezels the execs have are OEM though. A few of them were made and given to select ppl.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:30 AM   #156
leed1

Quote:

Thanks for your advice jnelson! I thought it was a software issue as people have reported but I found the mesh pieces I overlooked and the feedback is gone. I was pissed that I couldn't use my speakerphone anymore and now it's working great. Thanks again.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #157
stran84

Carrier: rogers

how did u guys take off the mesh?it seems impossible w/o ripping it?
Old 12-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #158
conker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stran84 View Post
how did u guys take off the mesh?it seems impossible w/o ripping it?
I was able to take off the one on the bottom without ripping it because there was more room around the edges. I used a toothpick like device. I complete shredded the one on top. I have no idea how anyone could manage to take the top one off successfully.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #159
jeme

Can anyone recommend a place where I can purchase a pair of those fine tweezers locally in the US? Those look quite handy!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #160
CoreyVisto

Carrier: ATT

just purchased the black bezel + black flat back, black buttons, case opening tool, t5 screwdriver, and the tweezers. should be here in about 10 days. I'll either take a video documenting the install, or at least take a ton of pictures of every step. wish me luck!

Last edited by CoreyVisto; 12-04-2008 at 10:28 PM..
Closed Thread