BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
LankaBoy

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default 7290 - What Happened to the Cradle?!

Please Login to Remove!

OK - I've migrated from a 957 (early 2001) to a 6750 (Feb 2003) to a 7290 (Feb 2005). The evolution has been nice with each new model adding a few much-anticipated features (cell phone with the 6750, BlueTooth with the 7290).

I'm also ecstatic that I can now search my Calendar entries!!

What puzzles the **** out of me, tho', is why the design of the 7290 failed to include a desktop cradle/charger!!! I can't believe how inconvenient it is to have the 7290 lay flat on my desk and have to rely on two separate plugs to connect via USB and charge the device.

Why would they not include a universal cradle to accomplish both these much-used features??!! It seems to be such a huge step backward!!

Anyone, anyone? ("Something-d-o-o economics...")

Aaarrrgggh!

[Edited by Mark Rejhon: Applied a 100% bleepout to 4-letter word]
Old 02-23-2005, 04:55 PM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

I'm not terribly sure either coming from a 7780 myself. Seems that its now a separate offering: http://store.bizshopr.com/rimrac47471.html
Old 02-23-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
rdalemercer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Not sure why -- but my 7290 came with a cradle. . . not that I use it because to connect through the mini USB connector on the right side of the 7290, the cardle is not only not needed, but I have to "fiddle" with it to get it to sit in there due to the stiffness of the mini USB cable.

I've found it just as "functional" to lay it flat on my desk...when I get a chance to sit at my desk...which is one reason that I have a Blackberry.

On a personal note: I find it offensive to read words in which you find a need to replace one of the letters with an "#" (or anything but the correct letter). It serves no purpose and is unnecessary to convey your point. This is a prfessional forum - let's try to respect each other and keep the wording on topic?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:32 PM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

You only need one cable: You should be able to charge and sync your BlackBerry over one cable -- you do not need a separate charger. Just keep your BlackBerry connected to your computer, and it'll charge itself.

Also, there's cradles available for the 7290; it's just more of a "stand" rather than a cradle. The cradle conveniently becomes "optional"

Personally, I like the standardization of the MiniUSB as both a data-link standard and a charging-standard, now I love to bring just one cable to charge all my 3 or 4 devices (digital camera, BlackBerry, and another cellphone). The same MiniUSB cable works on all of them. A computer can now charge all 3 of them too. Or I can use a car/AC adaptor (but I don't even need to own a charger anymore if I don't want one -- I can just charge from the computer!) .... So MiniUSB is an excellent move by RIM, in my opinion. It's a universal charger standard and a universal data standard that I can use on all of my recently-purchased electronic gadgets!

Also, I edited your post to apply a 100% bleepout to 4-letter word. As a matter of courtesy to other forum readers, please use four asteriks ****'s or four pound ####'s in the future next time. Thanks

I don't see what the big fuss is about:
(1) A cradle IS available; it's just purely optional now.
(2) MiniUSB is a really convenient charger/data standard.
(3) You don't need two cables.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #5
LankaBoy

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Oops ...

Thanks for the heads-up about the desktop stand (although I still find it ridiculous to have to pay $$$$ for a 'berry and still have to shell out extra $ for a stand).

Thanks, too, for the info about the USB connection serving to charge the unit. I hadn't taken that into account. *sheepish grin*

Apologies for the use of "vulgar language". I hadn't realized the sensitivities of the forum's readers.

Pax,
LankaBoy
Old 02-23-2005, 11:08 PM   #6
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

What comes in the box with a BB is up to the carrier...

Nextel for example includes the US travel charger, (2) USB cables, Desk Stand, earpiece and plastic belt clip in addition to phone/battery/software.

From what customers tell me the Latest 7290's and 7250 is not coming with stand and only 1 USB cable.

I wish RIM would have put the USB connection on the bottom makes using the car charger easier as well as the possibility of an active cradle.

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 02-24-2005, 03:23 AM   #7
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

You are welcome!

Personally, I feel the cradle stand should be included with all BlackBerries, but it's not always included with all the carriers.

You really don't need the charger except when travelling or when you're away from the computer. I don't even own a charger for my BlackBerry. That's what I like about MiniUSB, you have the choice. In fact, I can even use a Digital Camera MiniUSB charger on the BlackBerry, and it will charge the BlackBerry. It's all the same voltage, and safe, because MiniUSB is guaranteed to always be 5 volts. And you can easily buy a cheap $5 cable for your laptop from a computer store if you forget your charger while travelling! Or hunt down a replacement MiniUSB charger, even one not designed for BlackBerry.

This board attracts a wide audience. We all have some high-level readers including RIM employees (maker of BlackBerry) as well as big Fortune500 executives reading this board, so we have to be careful about language!
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-26-2005, 10:57 PM   #8
sharpycl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Lu920
PIN: is where your heart is
Carrier: AT&T

Would like to confirm my BB 7290 came from ATTWireless, and included the desktop stand, and 2 USB cables.
Closed Thread