Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Sierras
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Lightbulb Duplicate Calendar events with Google Sync - possible fix

Please Login to Remove!

I just got this BlackBerry Bold 9650 and was having a little trouble with my BB calendar in syncing with Google calendar using Google sync. Basically, I was getting duplicate entries for events such as birthdays for how ever weeks I had the Google sync my calendar. The birthdays would even show up on the day as well as the day after. I have fixed it, but am not sure if this was the correct way as I have read in other forums of users having similar problems with no solution in sight.

When I first got the phone, I didn’t have any email on it. I installed Google sync and the gmail app. I used Google sync for my calendars and contacts and the gmail app for gmail. All was good.

Then I went to set up and configured the free email account that is given by Verizon to go my BB inbox. I think this is where everything went wrong. Because I started noticing duplicate entries in my calendar that was created from my Google calendar.

When I went to Options – Advanced Options to check the default Calendar settings (CICAL), I noticed that there was no drop down for gmail, only the Verizon account. This made sense since I was using the gmail app and did not configure gmail for BB email messages.

To fix this, I used the email setup to configure gmail but did not let it sync anything (actually only Deleted Items). In fact, I don’t even have the gmail messages show up in main message list. But this way, I am able to change the default calendar settings in the advanced options to gmail.

This was my work around. It seems to be working now without duplicates and I can still see my gmail messages with the gmail app while keeping my calendars and contacts synced with Google sync. (Of course you will fist have to delete the duplicate calendar entries it had already created)

Please let me know if this work around also works for you or if I am missing something very obvious. (Which is highly possible since I’ve only had this phone for a couple of days now)
Closed Thread