BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Alltel
Question Default wallpaper on non vendor-locked themes-HELP!

Please Login to Remove!

Help! I've been working on this for a few days now and I don't mean to double post, but a few of my questions got buried in old threads, so I thought I would start a new one that is more specific.

What I am looking to do is get the blue Alltel background from the Alltel 8330 Curve into my at&t 8310 Curve. Seems like it should be pretty simple. Not the case (so far anyway)

It seems that unlike Verizon, Bell, at&t, TMo, etc... Alltel does not have a vendor locked theme. In fact, I'm not really even sure what Alltel's vendor code is. On one site, I read it was 106, but who knows...

In any case, getting the wallpaper I am after is not as simple as unlocking and downloading a vendor theme. I've tried them all. At first I thought it wouldn't be possible because Alltel is CDMA and my 8310 is GPRS, but then I saw the whole thread on loading the verizon theme to an 8310.

On my 8310 it seems that the default Dimension themes have a default wallpaper. The one with the blue sky and clouds and the road that leads off into blackberry never never land. If no user-specified wallpaper is selected, all of the dimension themes have this as a background. Somehow this wallpaper seems to be embedded to the theme files.

At first I thought that the wallpaper may have been an actual picture that came in Alltel phones. No such luck. It seems that instead of the happy cloud and endless road picture, Alltel must put in their wallpaper as the default wallpaper embedded into the theme files.

The question: how do I get this on my phone?

I've downloaded the Alltel OS for the 8330. Again, no specific vendor theme for them. Just all of the other vendor locked themes.

I tried to copy and paste the rim_bb_theme_dimension..... Files from the Alltel OS Java folder to my 8310 OS Java folder. That didn't cause application loader to do anything. Presumably because those file names were already loaded to my phone and although the underlying files in the Java folder had changed, the original file(at&t version) with the same name was already in the phone.

Anyone have any ideas on what I might do? I've thought about naming the alltel dimension theme files something else and then editing the blackberry.alx loader file by adding those names under the theme files string. I don't know if that will blow up my phone, however.

Anyway, if anyone has an idea of how I might get the Alltel wallpapered themes onto my curve, I would appreciate it. I'm stumped.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 07-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Wallpapers are integrated into themes. There is no way to directly extract them.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK, that much I understand. I kind of figured.

However, the alltel 8330 obviously has the Dimension Zen theme, for example. It is not vendor-locked, but it still has the theme. You select theme and Dimension Zen in an 8330 and up pops the theme with Alltel's wallpaper.

The question is how to get the Dimension themes that come with the Alltel 8330 into my 8310. Can it be done?

Again, I know we are talking about CDMA vs GPRS. But the Verizon theme can work in the 8310. Why wouldn't the 8330 Dimension Zen theme work in the 8310? From what I can tell, the themes are pretty much the same, save the Wallpaper.

I may be chasing windmills here, who knows......
Old 07-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Except that one is built for 4.3.0 and one for 4.2.2 which have been shown to be incompatible code lines
Old 07-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ahh. Even though both the software for the 8330 is 4.3 and the software for my curve is 4.3?
Closed Thread