Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
cdk8886

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Angry Roxio Media Manager will not install

Please Login to Remove!

I am running BB Desktop Manager 4.3.0.15 and it has run properly for several months. Today, Roxio Media Manager started trying to install or configure Roxio Media Manager. I get a message saying "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource and is unavailable". The message asks me to find an alternate path to Roxio Media Manager.msi. I inserted the BB User Tools disk where the file is resident but when I directed the installation to D:\files\exec\bbinstaller\SR_MM\Roxio Media Manager.msi, I get a message that the file is not a valid installation file. So, I am stumped. Meanwhile the installer just keeps trying to install. Very aggravating. Any ideas?
Old 03-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdk8886 View Post
I am running BB Desktop Manager 4.3.0.15 and it has run properly for several months. Today, Roxio Media Manager started trying to install or configure Roxio Media Manager. I get a message saying "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource and is unavailable". The message asks me to find an alternate path to Roxio Media Manager.msi. I inserted the BB User Tools disk where the file is resident but when I directed the installation to D:\files\exec\bbinstaller\SR_MM\Roxio Media Manager.msi, I get a message that the file is not a valid installation file. So, I am stumped. Meanwhile the installer just keeps trying to install. Very aggravating. Any ideas?

How about uninstalling DM and doing a fresh install with the Roxio MM....
Old 03-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp

same issue here. very frustrated of this and there is no way to kill the installation. any ideas mods?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
koleary19067

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

I have been getting the same error. Also if I close down DM, when i open it again, the application loader is missing.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
goldbergs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130g
Carrier: Cincinatti Bell Wireless CBW

Same or similar problem here.
Every time I open desktop manager, I get the following windows installer error message:
"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

"Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'BlackBerry 7130.msi in the box below."

I have searched my hard drive and that file does not exist.

I have uninstalled desktop manager, downloaded the latest desktop manager s/w and reinstalled. Same problem every time. I am at a brick wall .... h e l p

any ideas
Old 03-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
Yankel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Exact same problem here.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
baladegoma

Model: 8300
Exclamation Roxio Media Player Still Won't Install After Forever

Before the forum crashed not long ago, I was also trying to get my 8310 Curve synced to my desktop – including getting the Roxio Media Player to run. I got several suggestions: install only as an administrator, make sure no firewall or virus protection was running, etc.

Miraculously, on an attempt some two weeks after trying, I was able to get 4.2.2 installed so I could AT LEAST sync my address book, contacts, etc. However, MEDIA PLAYER never showed up in my Desktop Manager.

I am still at a loss what to do and feel the complete idiot. I even reformatted my DELL XPS hard drive hoping it would solve the Windows loader error message I was getting at the last moments of installation of BlackBerry OS. No luck – and what a mess trying to get everything back to where it was on the 300g hard drive.

There must be a forum manager, a BlackBerry expert, or SOMEONE who can help with the simple installation of 4.2.2 or 4.3 or whatever is available and workable for us NON-newbies, but absolutely frustrated users. I hated to even mess with my friend’s iPhone this weekend because I figured this was the Smart phone I would now have to migrate to. I abhor them (except the web browsing), but it seems to have the features I’m going to have to rely on if I have to dump this piece of junk. (I never thought I’d call my 8310 that. Just the GPS makes me high.) But this has gone on for far too long, I haven’t gotten any help here or at the Wi-Fi forum (or with BlackBerry on the phone) to solve the problem. No one seems to know the mystery of why Media Manager won’t load. Fingers are pointed every which way, especially at Vista, and I’m beginning to think it’s not Vista, but BlackBerry not being rigorous in its program development with Vista.

I am afraid to remove what I have on my phone as to end up where I was just a few weeks ago: Every day repeating the same process of removing, reloading, removing, reloading, and yet, never getting Media Manager to work – and afraid I wouldn’t have simple syncing around anymore either. I use this for business and must count on it. I must count on a device that works. (Media Manager must also work as I'm in the final stages of a musical and must hear music sent on a daily basis, which I want to take with me.)

Life was just fine with my 8300, my 8700. What the heck is going on? Can anyone help out there? I’d sure as heck appreciate any new insight(s). I mean, should I just say goodbye to the BlackBerry as my platform/Smartphone of choice and look elsewhere? It just can’t be this difficult.

Thanks guys and gals.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
bcreekski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

I have installed DM on two Vista Home Premium computers and both sync great with Outlook but the rest is inoperable. I installed on a laptop with XP and everything is functional. I have no clue. I would not give up my 8830 since it does everything that a retired person needs. But, it is distressing to me that RIM does virtually no support for these issues and depends on Forums such as this.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
Bounce1111

I'm on an 8300, but I had the same problem and here's the fix.

I downloaded the latest BlackBerry desktop software from blackberry.com. I downloaded the English version with media manager.

That gives you an .exe file, which is a self-extracting archive.

Use WinZip to unzip the .exe file to a folder. Browse to the SR_MM directory and you'll find "Roxio Media Manager.msi".

The next time you are asked for the location of Roxio Media Manager.msi, click browse, and browse to the file that you extracted above. Let it install, reboot when it's done, and you should be good to go.

That worked for me, anyway. Blackberry 8300. BES. WinXP Pro SP2.

Your Mileage May Vary.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
baladegoma

Bounce1111, this is a new option that may just provide some hope.

Nevertheless, you're saying you've got a 8300. I've got a 8310, WinVista. I won't be going back to XP as, although I liked it as an OS and the stability was terrific, I'm now married to Vista on both Desktop and Laptop.

Looks like Windows update came out with a PATCH YESTERDAY for BLACKBERRY SMARTPHONES!!!! I was so jazzed, I nearly freaked. But, wouldn't you know it? The patch would NOT DOWNLOAD. I tried a gazillion times. It's a small file, too. Obviously, Microsoft has been listening to someone as they tried to help, but not enough. Microsoft was "nice enough" to tell you what to do if the patch did not install. KEEP TRYING, KEEP TRYING. Had to go to work, so, I only had, maybe, 50 attempts at getting the patch to download AND WORK, which it didn't.

And bcreeksi, you deserive props for saying it like it is:

But, it is distressing to me that RIM does virtually no support for these issues and depends on Forums such as this.

I don't want to dis anyone who has helped me in the past or is helping other members, but my problem is the problem of litterally HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of other users OR WILL BE. RIM should be on this like white on rice as they're about to lose this customer and to a device THIS CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT, BUT WOULD ONLY PURCHASE BECAUSE IT WOULD BE A DEVICE THAT WOULD WORK WHERE HIS RIM 8310 DOESN'T. I don't want an iPhone because I can't get a friggin' media player to work. I don't want to have to text wth my finger at a 90 degree angle to a key. I want raised buttons where I can text in my hand while cough, driving, or, in a meeting.

PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP WITH GETTING 4.2.2. OS INSTALLED ON MY 8310 WITH THE MEDIA PLAYER SO I CAN USE WHAT I BOUGHT. THE GPS IS THE FRIGGIN' BOMB, AND WORKS BEAUTIFULLY. BUT I NEED THE MEDIA PLAYER FOR WORK. AND, I THINK I PAID FOR IT.

Sorry for the screaming. But I've had enough.

Thanks again.

I'm still hoping that this issue gets resolved!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 07:08 AM   #11
baladegoma

Default Got Media Manager On The Laptop But Not The Desktop

OK, thought I’d update you on where this adventure has taken me.

First, I’ll say that I decided to load 4.3 on my Dell XPS/Vista/Laptop. A sweet machine. Anyway, of course, this is the last thing one would think after all my posts (including all the ones prior to the server crash.)

Well, I didn’t have a single problem! 4.3 downloaded and Media Manager had a link in Desktop Manager. I should be jumping for joy, but there’s STILL the matter of my desktop. (More to come on that.) As far as the laptop, all went well and at least there’s a way to keep a calendar and get some music on the 8310. (Music on the 8310 is important because of a project I’m working on. It’s easier to listen to music sent to my Curve than to a Curve then off-loading it an iPod. You get my drift. The Curve has the power to handle to music, it’s a phone -- keeps it simple all on one device – at least, for preliminary music sharing for the project.) So, for now, until I can get the desktop to get MEDIA MANAGER to exist, I’ll rely on the laptop.

Since the fiascos with 4.2.2 on the desktop, I decided to shoot for 4.3. Why not shoot for the moon, when you’re sinking in the muck of an installation onto a desktop that just won’t happen. Happily, it installed WITHOUT MEDIA MANAGER mind you, but I, at least, have another computer, my principal one, the desktop, where I can keep another calendar to complement the laptop. BUT NO MEDIA MANAGER.

Question for BOUNCE IIII. Taken from your post:

[BOUNCEIIII] I downloaded the latest BlackBerry desktop software from blackberry.com. I downloaded the English version with media manager.

That gives you an .exe file, which is a self-extracting archive.

Use WinZip to unzip the .exe file to a folder. Browse to the SR_MM directory and you'll find "Roxio Media Manager.msi".

The next time you are asked for the location of Roxio Media Manager.msi, click browse, and browse to the file that you extracted above. Let it install, reboot when it's done, and you should be good to go.
[END OF BOUNCEIIII]

1) BounceIIII, when I downloaded the 4.3, I didn’t find a download that was an English version. It was Multilanguage. I did go to BlackBerry’s site, but ended up with ATT’s version.

2) The file was an “.exe” for 4.3. I’m confused whether or not there was another “.exe” to which you refer.

3) From what was unzipped in my installation, I cannot find what you mention: Roxio Media Manager.msi

Now, remember I’m working with Vista. It’s definitely different than XP. Searching in Vista is DIFFERENT and I’m not all that positive in saying so. I haven’t manually tried to find this file, but will try. Searching in Vista means you search “Everywhere” or what’s been “Indexed.” At any rate, no .msi file..

In addition to BounceIIII, anyone out there with a similar problem that has a solution. i.e., installing 4.2.2 or 4.3 and actually getting Media Manager to appear and be operable so that you can deal with music and photos on your device????

RIM. ARE YOU LISTENING?? Can YOU help? We love your devices, but you’re nowhere to be seen after the purchase.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
klb

I'm having the same problem. Roxio Media Manager just won't install on my computer. I'm wondering if I need an admin to log into my computer to install Desktop Manager.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #13

Model: 8330
PIN: S AND NEEDLES
Carrier: VZW

I too tried to install RMM a number of times on vista. It never worked. I gave up and then just dragged and dropped my music into the folders on the BB and worked like a champ. no need for RMM in my world.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #14
steve47714

Carrier: verizon wireless

I had this problem. I'm still trying to re-find the page that I downloaded. The problem was not in the Roxio or in the Desktop Mgr software. The problem was that windows couldn't see it right.
After making changes to the appropriate configuration files everything installed perfectly and has run fine for about 2 months. Of course I filed it where I could find it again if I needed it...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #15
ebernier

Carrier: AT&T
Default Roxio Media Manager problem

Same problem as described above.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #16
ebernier

Carrier: AT&T
Default Roxio Media Manager error - downloading 4.5 English

Downloading the latest 4.5 English, unzipping it and then locating the file Roxio Media Manager was complaining about worked for me too!

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #17
Kenneth L Glick, M.D.

Carrier: Cingular ATT

I have XP on my computer and have the same issue. I have unstalled, reinstalled, etc...but still it gives the looking for RoxioMediaManager.msi.
So it clearly is not a problem only for Vista. Someone help. It is driving me crazy. It happens with 4.3 and 4.5
Old 06-23-2008, 03:50 AM   #18
PTravel

I just went through this installing 4.3 on my Vista computer. After many, many hours, here's what I did:

1. I did a complete, clean uninstall of all Blackberry, Roxio and Sonic software (Sonic will interfere with Roxio). This entailed cleaning out registry entries, deleting files from a number of locations and then re-registering ATL.DLL.

Instructions are here. Make sure that, in addition to scrubbing the Blackberry software, you also delete the Roxio software.

2. I reset all registry permissions using the SUBINACL technique described here. In case you're worried about doing this, there are identical instructions on Microsoft's website, but I don't have time to look for them now. Registry permission issues seem to have become chronic with the release of Vista SP1 and XP SP3.

3. Re-boot.

4. Download the Desk Manager software for whatever version you're installing. DO NOT RUN IT YET. Extract all the files (using WinZip or something similar) to a temporary folder on your hard drive.

5. Download the Blackberry Device Manager software. Install it.

6. Once it completes, go to the folder to which you extracted the Desk Manager software. Find the SETUP.EXE file. Double-click on it and it will install the Device Manager software and then the Roxio Media Manager.

On my system it installed perfectly using this technique. If, however, you get the "can't find the XXXXX.msi" error message, you'll be able to point the installer to where you extracted the Desk Manager installation software.

This took me, literally, 7 hours to work out, including at least 2 hours on the phone with various techs at RIM -- I finally got someone in Singapore (!!) who really knew what he was doing and got me started on the right track. This technique addresses a number of potential problems and it's hard to say which is responsible for the problem we've been experiencing. However, it does work. Just be patient -- all the steps take time, particularly re-setting registry permissions.

At any rate, I no longer have the Roxio Media Manager issue and everything works.

Good luck!

Last edited by PTravel; 06-23-2008 at 03:52 AM..
Old 06-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #19
wsulli6346

Thumbs up Roxio Media Manager.msi

If you have trouble loading this file. Look at the path that is suggested by the program and remove the last back slash (\) after SR_MM. It should work then.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #20
PTravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsulli6346 View Post
If you have trouble loading this file. Look at the path that is suggested by the program and remove the last back slash (\) after SR_MM. It should work then.
That won't work unless you've manually extracted the files as I detailed in my post. When this was happening to me, I did a file search and none of the .msi files requested were on the computer.
Closed Thread