Old 09-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Giguchan

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default moved from treo to 9630..import wizard does not work for my contacts

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,
I am NEW BB user, so be gentle with me. I love the handset so far. I have not had any issues so far, but thing i AM having a problem with is Moving my Contacts from my Treo to my 9630. I have done all of the updates that my handset requires, so i dont think that's it.. anyone have any ideas?The only thing that really had on the treo was my contacts. I took both units to the verizon store, but they were unable to move them.I should have know that might have been the start of all this mess.
Thanks
Old 09-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Can you sync the Treo with Outlook and then sync the BB with Outlook?

Another option is to sync with Google.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Giguchan

Hello,
and thanks for the reply. I will try that and let you know how it goes...
Gig
Old 09-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Using Outlook for a sync of both devices is the best solution, especially when the old phone and new phone are made by different manufacturers, and when they both use different operating systems. Outlook is the most universal piece of software and is recognized by just about every mobile device on the planet.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Giguchan

ok... outlook huh? I dont use outlook , but i think it's on the phone. i'll find it and give it a go. Once again i'll let you all know how it works when i'm done
thanks for the reply!
Old 09-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
Giguchan

All,
Thanks for all of the help you gave me. I was kinda confused when you told me what i had to do.Frankly, it did not make much sense. I sat and thought about what you said and then it suddenly DID make sense, as I dont use MS outlook for anything(i still use Eudora for email)I was able to DL a trial copy of MS OL. I got my contacts to OL from the palm SW and from there i was able to get my Contacts to my BB 9630.
Easy eh? i guess when you look at it it really was pretty simple.
Thanks Again.
Gig
Old 09-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Giguchan

I forgot to ask.. in the world of palm (where i come from) the desktop SW contained everything that the device had. contact,settings.. the BB desktop SW does not? just so i have a clear meaning the ONLY back up is actually on the device? I mean is there ANY of the info on the desktop manager?

thanks again

gig
Old 09-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

BlackBerry Desktop Manager will keep all those things in a backup when you do one, but there is no built-in calendar or address app like with Palm. It's really designed to work with Outlook to do all those things.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:36 AM   #9
Giguchan

Rambo,
Thanks for the tip. I guess i have to start to get used to this thing call Black berry.
BTW is there anyway to set the device to check email at a pre determined time? 10 min 20 min? or what ever i like? I would also like to change or loose the signature too... I know it was sent from my blackberry I dont think that everyone should have to see it
Thanks
Old 09-09-2009, 05:47 AM   #10
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

There is no way to set the schedule for email like there was on the Palm. The BlackBerry is always checking. Some accounts that do not support the IMAP IDLE command get polled on a 15 minute schedule, but again, that's standard operating procedure for BlackBerry. The user has no say. Best thing is to set a custom profile to simply not alert you to new mail when you don't want it. You have to select your profile manually on the BlackBerry - no scheduling a particular profile (like silent) at a given time - but at least your BB won't intrude when you don't want it to. And your email will be waiting for you when you're ready.

To change your signature, log into your BIS page at Verizon and you can edit the signature for each individual email account right there. Remember to save each one after you change it.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #11
Giguchan

Boy what a curve!!!
learning curve that is...!! i'll log into the vzw site and see what i can do there.. I'm glad that the handset is aways checking... if there was a setting i was going to set it to check as often as i could.
This acct i get so few emails that it's ok for it to check all the time...
Thanks for the reply! i'll let you know how i do!

Gig
Old 09-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
Giguchan

Thanks again,
i had to go to that BB/vz page and it was right there. I got a CSR involved on another long winded matter , so while she was on the phone with me she created the acct and away i went.
I had a theme problem (that was the other matter) so she was helping me with that.My messages icon was not showing up.
but all is well for now.
thanks Gig
Old 10-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
eiffel

Model: 9200

At Verizon they said that it would be extra monthly fee to get your data to sync with Outlook... is that what you all are doing in order to transfer data to Outlook, so you can use it as a "desktop" reflection of what's on the BBerry?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
Giguchan

I had just received my NEW bb TOUR. i originally ahd a palm treo. I just could not get my contacts from one to the other.. so the good people here told me to sync with outlook and it worked.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #15
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
At Verizon they said that it would be extra monthly fee to get your data to sync with Outlook... is that what you all are doing in order to transfer data to Outlook, so you can use it as a "desktop" reflection of what's on the BBerry?
There is no extra fee to sync with Outlook through a USB connection between your BlackBerry and pc. Maybe they were talking about a BES data plan at Verizon. You would need that to sync wirelessly to your Exchange Server at work, if that is indeed what you use. Local syncing is free though.
Closed Thread