Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:06 AM   #1
riete
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: Orange
Question Bluetooth as input stream

Please Login to Remove!

I'm asking myself a question which could be helpfull for a lot of us, and I would like to have your opinions.

Would it be realistic to use a Bluetooth peripheral (like Barecode or RFID reader) as an input stream in a web page FORM in a BlackBerry browser. The inofrmations readen from the stream would be redirected to the selected text field in the active web page.

The goal would be to identify a precise location (in a building, a car or whatever) where a person is, via a DataBase.

I already done most of the interface (DataBase and Client side), I'm Just wondering if anyone has an experience in such cases?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thierry
Old 09-12-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

If the Bluetooth peripheral uses the SPP profile, I do not see why not. It certainly is possible to use Bluetooth SPP devices with BlackBerry (i.e. serial Bluetooth keyboards, Bluetooth GPS, etc)

You will need access to the appropriate signed API's though.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 09-13-2005, 10:48 AM   #3
ac@peg

I am streaming data from a datalogger to BB7290 using bluetooth SPP. My blackberry program collects the data and performs diagnostics to assist service technicians during maintainence and equipment repairs. The data and diagnostic results are directed to fields on the blackberry screen, but in the future I plan to stream to a web page and into a database. It was not difficult getting bluetooth SPP to work, you just need to purchase access to the API.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:05 AM   #4
riete

Default 80% solution

good news, I finally found a great little RFID Pen device which appear to work fine (the API just need to be adjusted by the constructor).
I fill up WEB pages and the DB connected.

Now the challenge is to store the data offline and to synchronize later.

Riete
Old 09-30-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
sose82

Model: 7230

Take care when you try to store data.All Objects and attributs to store must be "Persistble" an Date Object can´t be stored. Then you use long. Amount of data you store in a synchronized Object.
to get the stored Object you must also synchronize the store.
Vector and Hashtables are aslo persistable.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:48 AM   #6
riete

Default The story continue

Thanks Sose82

I will take care about persisble storage of Date objects.
At the moment, I can manage to post synchronize a single ogject from the BB with the DB when the signal is back.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
sose82

Model: 7230

Then can you help me?
How can I manage to be sure that Bluetooth is activated on the Handheld?
Because when I once connect to a Gps-Bluetooth , and then stop the application restart the application without bluetooth activated, i have to reset my BB.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:04 AM   #8
simon.hain
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: o2

once you connect a device via bluetooth the pairing stays active even with one device going to sleepmode iirc.
you should check in your application if a serial bt-connection is available.

i made an application to read data with a barcode scanner, display them on the device and store them into a sql-database, i did not add a offline module though (shouldn't be too hard to add).

riete, could you tell me what RFID-pen you are using? i am currently trying to get my BB working with a SU-1B from nokia but it seems that the device does not support SPP and i have no idea how to connect it otherwise.

gs
simon
Old 10-04-2005, 09:51 AM   #9
riete

Two answers in the same message.

FIrst: I have the same kind of problem Sose have. The answer from the Bluetooth device supplier is that BB system doesn't supported the auto detect "rebirth" of already paired devices.
I don't know if this is true or not, but BB is supposed to soon update?
I have to restart the application which drive the bluetooth device after it goes to spleep mode.

Second: You can find the RFID device on www.baracoda.com under IDPEN

Thierry
Old 05-10-2006, 10:55 AM   #10
wss

Model: 7100

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.hain
could you tell me what RFID-pen you are using? i am currently trying to get my BB working with a SU-1B from nokia but it seems that the device does not support SPP and i have no idea how to connect it otherwise.
How did you get on Simon? I've been trying to do this via a class which implements BluetoothSerialPortListener but have had no luck. I cannot get the phone to see that there is a connection - deviceconnected doesnt get called and when i look into the bluetooth serial port info it says that there are none present. Any info that you can give to get passed this?
Thanks
Old 05-11-2006, 06:56 AM   #11
simon.hain
CrackBerry Addict

we are communicating with a logitech pen (same model as the nokia one) but it was quite some work to come that far.
right now the pen is happy with "its" blackberry and hands over all the data.
very sorry not being able to help you further, we are still working on the topic.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #12
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

There are Bluetooth barcode scanners and pens compatible with iDEN 7520's. Have used both and they work great.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:38 AM   #13
wss

When we try connecting our pen to the blackberry there are no services listed in the bluetooth device properties and so we have been unable to process the data using the Serial Port classes. Does anyone know if it is possible to work around this programatically by manually creating the Serial Port connection or must the Serial Port service be found automatically on pairing for it to be used?
Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 11:34 PM   #14
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

What pen device are you using?
Old 05-23-2006, 03:08 AM   #15
wss

we've tried vaious pens including Nokia Su-1B and the Maxell PC-201
Old 05-29-2006, 03:49 AM   #16
simon.hain
CrackBerry Addict

the services of the pen are hidden. you have to create a spp-connection yourself. quite the tricky part of it though!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:07 AM   #17
Ricardo Sopranzetti

Default Question

Simon,

I have the same problem that you, I need to connect my BB with the SU-1B digital pen but I don't undestand how send the information to the BB.
The BB see the pen using the bluetooth connection but I don't know if I need to install any software in the BB to recieve the pen data.

Could you help me.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.hain
once you connect a device via bluetooth the pairing stays active even with one device going to sleepmode iirc.
you should check in your application if a serial bt-connection is available.

i made an application to read data with a barcode scanner, display them on the device and store them into a sql-database, i did not add a offline module though (shouldn't be too hard to add).

riete, could you tell me what RFID-pen you are using? i am currently trying to get my BB working with a SU-1B from nokia but it seems that the device does not support SPP and i have no idea how to connect it otherwise.

gs
simon
Closed Thread