BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
jrhughson

Model: 8700
Default Cingular BB and Gmail

Please Login to Remove!

I'm getting duplicate messages on my BB. I assume this has something to do with Gmail's "conversation" approach to email but how can I get past that? No, these aren't my sent messages they are the same message sent over and over...as many as 10 times each. It happens whether or not I respond to the message or even open it. Any thoughts?

They are not forwarded messages, I have my Gmail account as a sub account of @mycingular.blackberry.net

thanks.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:27 AM   #2
phetish phil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: m

Well, either Gmail is duplicating it or BIS is duplicating. The message headers will tell you but I'm not sure the best way to instruct you on checking them.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:32 AM   #3
jrhughson

Default duplication

but the duplicates don't show up in gmail inbox nor the BIS inbox....just on the handheld.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:46 AM   #4
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

How long have you been POPing your G-mail account? I had the same issue, but only at first. After the first few times, it seems to be working just fine now.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:02 AM   #5
mymitsu3kgt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Carrier: TMobile

I believe it's a Gmail thing. Everytime I compose an email from my Gmail account to anyone else, BB recovers a copy of it somehow and fowards it to my phone. There must be a folder somewhere on Gmail for like "Sent Messages" and when BB goes to pull incoming emails, it also pulls from this "Sent Messages" folder.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:34 AM   #6
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good
Carrier: AT&T

A member of this forum has a web page devoted to setting up your BB using GMail. Follow the setup exactly and it works great. I have used it for months with zero problems. Be sure to follow them exactly as the order of filters etc can cause things not to work correctly.

This is Stinsondog's website:
http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/OP/Gmail.htm

Be sure to thank him after if it works for you.
Good Luck.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #7
Modeler
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhughson
I'm getting duplicate messages on my BB. I assume this has something to do with Gmail's "conversation" approach to email but how can I get past that? No, these aren't my sent messages they are the same message sent over and over...as many as 10 times each. It happens whether or not I respond to the message or even open it. Any thoughts?

They are not forwarded messages, I have my Gmail account as a sub account of @mycingular.blackberry.net

thanks.
I've been using Gmail with my Blackberry on Cingular for several months now and don't have this problem. One thing that you may need to do is change the Gmail option for handling mail retrieved through POP3 to "Archive".
Old 04-25-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
K-Mack
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Mine has been doing the exact same thing, I finally disabled Gmail untill Yahoo begins to work, whenever that is. Right now I'm just using the Cingular email.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #9
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Mack
Mine has been doing the exact same thing, I finally disabled Gmail untill Yahoo begins to work, whenever that is. Right now I'm just using the Cingular email.
You should check out the link above to Stinsondog's website (if you have not already). I set it up this way and it works great- instant e-mail no problems.
I cannot wait for Cingular but when they switch I will- in the mean time I am very happy with the Gmail setup.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #10
jrhughson

Default Gmail and Blackberry

johnfromphilly: It looks as if Stinsondog's solution is if you want to save sent messages from your BB but don't want those messages re-routed to your BB should you decide to auto Bcc back to gamil. I read the thread included in the link you sent and that's how it reads to me.

my problem isn't with wanting to save sent messages or getting my sent messages on my BB. the problem is when BIS polls gmail for new mail it retrieves the same messages it did the last time gmail was polled. for instance, i sent myself a test message from an alternate email. that message was retrieved by BIS 6 times and thus sent to my handheld 6 times. the message however only shows up once in gmail and BIS.

modeler: archiving messages retrieved via POP doesn't work because BIS is only polling gmail and then 'pushing' that message to my BB. however, i did try it and it didn't solve my problem.

this is going to get old quick. i've only received two email so far @gmail.com but i've got 30 "new" messages on my BB......ARGH!!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #11
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Why are you polling? and are you forwarding two. That would explain duplicates. You can do only one of three things: poll, forward or filter.

Quote:
johnfromphilly: It looks as if Stinsondog's solution is if you want to save sent messages from your BB but don't want those messages re-routed to your BB should you decide to auto Bcc back to gamil. I read the thread included in the link you sent and that's how it reads to me.

my problem isn't with wanting to save sent messages or getting my sent messages on my BB. the problem is when BIS polls gmail for new mail it retrieves the same messages it did the last time gmail was polled. for instance, i sent myself a test message from an alternate email. that message was retrieved by BIS 6 times and thus sent to my handheld 6 times. the message however only shows up once in gmail and BIS.

modeler: archiving messages retrieved via POP doesn't work because BIS is only polling gmail and then 'pushing' that message to my BB. however, i did try it and it didn't solve my problem.

this is going to get old quick. i've only received two email so far @gmail.com but i've got 30 "new" messages on my BB......ARGH!!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #12
mymitsu3kgt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Carrier: TMobile

Other than BB sending messages to my phone that I sent with my Gmail account, I haven't had any problems with BB polling my Gmail emails. When BB retrieves my emails from Gmail, they don't get deleted or archived automatically. The emails will sit there for weeks sometimes until I log in and archive them but BB never goes in again to send the same message again.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:54 AM   #13
jrhughson

Default polling

no, i'm not doing both. BIS polls gmail and pushes the same message(s) over and over. from what i can tell its only doing it for same day messages (i.e. its not getting duplicates from yesterday).
Old 04-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #14
luckman212
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

works perfectly for me... thanks!
Old 04-25-2006, 12:36 PM   #15
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
no, i'm not doing both. BIS polls gmail and pushes the same message(s) over and over. from what i can tell its only doing it for same day messages (i.e. its not getting duplicates from yesterday).
---BIS should not poll Gmail- Gmail should be set to Push( forward ) to BB---

What I am trying to tell you is this:
If you set up your Gmail account the way it is described you will get:
- All e-mail forwarded to your BB instantly
- copy saved on Gmail
- still can POP it to PC if you want- I use Outlook Express
- no duplicates
This works for many people. I am not trying to fix your specific problem because I am not sure what it is- I am telling you that if you set it up as described you will not have that problem. MMMK?

Last edited by johnfromphilly; 04-25-2006 at 12:40 PM..
Old 04-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #16
jrhughson

Default forwarding

it not that i don't hear you...i just think the damn thing should work like its suppose to. then again, it may just be gmail and the unusual way it handles email.

so.....if i accept defet should i just forward all mail sent to [email address] to [email address]?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #17
jrhughson

Default that was stupid

i know, i know....its in the directions.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:20 PM   #18
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
it not that i don't hear you...i just think the damn thing should work like its suppose to. then again, it may just be gmail and the unusual way it handles email.

so.....if i accept defet should i just forward all mail sent to [email address] to [email address]?

Do not consider it defeat...out of the box the BB will Poll every 15 minutes or so using BIS. This gives you instant e-mail for now, when Cingular switches to the new way it will be the way to go but for now this works great.

The only drwback I have is that you cannot e-mail yourself with Gmail. I need to do that from time to time.

Let us know how you make out...
Old 04-25-2006, 06:42 PM   #19
jrhughson

i'm defeated again.

i'm getting sent messages on my blackberry now. i've followed the directions and the filters are in the correct order. grrrr
Old 04-25-2006, 06:44 PM   #20
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Sent from where? Be specific if you can as this is a detailed setup and details matter.
Closed Thread