Old 05-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
DrKeith
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Best Case/Holster Solution?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi--I am a newbie to the forum.

I have read the reviews and opinions of the various options for skins, holsters, cases, etc., especially those of lgreenberg and seattle18.

My question is this--what are your thoughts on the best option for safety and convenience for an 8700C?
Old 05-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Bennett5000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Check out the threads and then go to Fortte and buy.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
RickCharles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

DrKeith - everybody is going to have a different opinion, and for the most part, the brand that the individual bought will most likely be the brand that they recommend, because everybody, wants to believe that they bought a quality product.

I have the RIM OEM leather case with the swivel clip...and it is awesome!!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

I have received and tested several cases, most of them are of high quality. Personally, I love the Fortte, Vaja and Piel Frama cases, and the Seidio swivel holsters the most. I rotate through them a lot. Today I received a new Vaja case with their rivet belt clip system, which I will review tonight - it's awesome. Like the other posters said - it comes down to preference. Make a list of your most important features in a case and then start reading reviews and checking off features that match. Then buy the one closest to your dream carry solution. OR, like Larry and I, get 20 different cases and use them all!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:14 AM   #5
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

I rotate the seidio swivel, Fortte STi and Fortte lateral pouch.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

OEM ... But then I may be biased.

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 05-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #7
BBNate
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Default Fortte STi

Just got the Fortte STi all-leather case with fixed clip in mahogany today - been waiting almost a month, but it was worth it. The leather is high-quality, of good thickness and has that nice leather smell. The fit of the all-leather version (for regular slim battery) is perfect right now and shouldn't have the loosening problem like the elastic sided version - it's not too tight or loose enough for the BB to slide around. The sleeper magnet is placed well and it just looks damn good. It offers ample protection of the BB, but I'll be putting on a full-body skin and eGrips soon. I prefer pouch cases with no flap so I can quickly pull out the BB with no obstructions, but like it's been said: to each their own.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Seattle18

I have an STiL on the way. I am a pouch style lover as well, but I have had an incident or two with slipping out, even with a snug fit. So I opted for the STiL version - that small latch piece should be just right for me - no worries about slippage, and small enough to not cause problems with inserting/removing the BB. When it comes, I'll review it.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:08 PM   #9
jdiong

Piel Frama for Blackberry 8700 series is wonderful. High quality and prestigous. Pricey but worth it... Compliment even from novice. Check it out.

www.pielframa.com/blackberry_8700.htm
Old 05-30-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

Fortte here. I have one of their cases to replace a Krusell case I ended up hating. Ordering a second one soon. Forgot to mention mine is an Open Face Case which means the screen, keyboard and all side buttons and ports are left open for access.

Last edited by EricaJ1074; 06-01-2006 at 09:19 AM..
Old 05-30-2006, 10:54 PM   #11
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

I have pictures of many at my tips site. Many like the Fortte, and I use their vertical pouch quite often, but I also use a Gizmoskin and Seisedo holster.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:15 AM   #12
ragin cajun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: cingular

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Fortte STiL here. Great case.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #13
Modeler
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

I bought three different cases/holsters that are highly rated on this forum and I'm back to using the OEM holster that came with my BB. I have the SEIDO hoslster, Blackberry leather case and another leather case that I forgot the name of. It's similar to BB's but slimmer.

For my money, there's nothing better than the OEM holster. The main reason: it's the slimest solution out there. Period!
Old 06-01-2006, 11:05 AM   #14
Seattle18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modeler
I bought three different cases/holsters that are highly rated on this forum and I'm back to using the OEM holster that came with my BB. I have the SEIDO hoslster, Blackberry leather case and another leather case that I forgot the name of. It's similar to BB's but slimmer.

For my money, there's nothing better than the OEM holster. The main reason: it's the slimest solution out there. Period!
The OEM is slim, yes, but it is also dangerous. I guess it hasn't happened to you yet, but it will, it's a matter of time. The OEM holster has earned the nickname the "Launcher" because it is very good at launching your BB out of its grips and onto the ground. You will bump into something, or bend over a certain way, or push it while getting in your car - something - but it will happpen, so consider yourself warned. There are countless remarks in various threads about this - it's a widespread issue. With that in mind, you should reconsider. The Seidio holster is just about as slim as the OEM one, and much safer. The Fortte STi and STiL cases are very slim as well, with much more protection than the OEM. It's your decision, but you just may regret it soon...
Old 06-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #15
ragin cajun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: cingular

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Don't forget the wear the oem holster puts on the face. Mine has permenent wear marks on the sides and on the corners of the face.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:22 PM   #16
Seattle18

True, and I forgot to mention that the little plastic side pieces that hold the BB in place break - both of mine broke in the same week.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #17
cooperpwc

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
The OEM is slim, yes, but it is also dangerous. I guess it hasn't happened to you yet, but it will, it's a matter of time. The OEM holster has earned the nickname the "Launcher" because it is very good at launching your BB out of its grips and onto the ground. You will bump into something, or bend over a certain way, or push it while getting in your car - something - but it will happpen, so consider yourself warned. There are countless remarks in various threads about this - it's a widespread issue. With that in mind, you should reconsider. The Seidio holster is just about as slim as the OEM one, and much safer. The Fortte STi and STiL cases are very slim as well, with much more protection than the OEM. It's your decision, but you just may regret it soon...
Yes, yes and yes. Here is my experience with the Launcher. Consider yourself warned. I'm using the Seidio holster and love it although the Fortte STiL case also looks nice. And, of course, we're all waiting for rajin cajun's mysterious next design.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #18
Modeler
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
Yes, I considered this danger, but I'm always very careful when bending or running or going down the stairs to put my hand on the BB, no matter what case it is in. I have to weigh the danger of "launching" it against the significant negative of looking WAY more dorky with non-OEM solutions (or with the OEM leather case).

The SEIDO holster only appears to be slim. But because the clip is positioned much higher than on the OEM holster, it does not "hug" the hip like the OEM holster and, hence, sticks out way more. It also has this huge dorky-looking clip on top, which could've been made a lot less conspicuous looking.

It all comes down to personal preference. Plenty of people I know consider wearing ANYTHING on their belt to be ugly and geeky (I'm not in IT). I'm Ok with something that doesn't stick out too much, both literally and figuratively speaking. I don't want to look like a German tourist with a pouch bag...
Old 06-01-2006, 01:14 PM   #19
Modeler
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun

Don't forget the wear the oem holster puts on the face. Mine has permenent wear marks on the sides and on the corners of the face.
I recently realized that in the decade of having cell-phones I have never kept a device for more than a year. Something newer and better always comes out and I have to have it. So I'm not concerned with a little wear since it's not going to be a problem before I buy Blackberry 98000xyz next year
Old 06-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #20
cooperpwc

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modeler
The SEIDO holster only appears to be slim. But because the clip is positioned much higher than on the OEM holster, it does not "hug" the hip like the OEM holster and, hence, sticks out way more. It also has this huge dorky-looking clip on top, which could've been made a lot less conspicuous looking.
The Seidio holster worn horizontally is quite inconspicuous - arguably more discreet than the Launcher. (The Launcher, by contrast, can only be worn horizontally to facilitate its true purpose).
Closed Thread