Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
chrisb1414

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default 8300 time won't update automatically

Please Login to Remove!

When I set the Time/Date to update by the network, nothing happens when I go to different time zones. I have to update this by hand. Any ideas?
Old 09-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Welcome to the forums,
Time zone changing must be done manually on all BB's. That's normal due to it's calendaring abilities, etc.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

From my experience, you choose the carrier or Blackberry for the time. It does not update automatically. You have to go into the menu and hit "Update Time". I find after a month of so my clock on my device may get off a minute and I manaully have to tell it to update the time to fix it!
Old 09-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
chrisb1414

Model: 8300
Carrier: att

This seems strange to me. All other phones I have had updated automatically???
Old 09-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
micohoe
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
Carrier: ATT

It's so that your calendar doesn't get all messed up when you change time zones. Yes, it's a bit annoying, but it's much better -- if you talk to treo users, they'll tell you how haywire their calendars go when switching zones.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:53 PM   #6
scollin

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Then what is the purpose of the 'network' option? Hard to believe that BB do not recognize network time where ever they are... but I'm very new to BB's...

cheers, steve
Old 09-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

It shows you the network time for where you are but it won't update the timezone of the BB. You have to do that manually.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:59 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

"Network" time does update correctly, just offset by the timezone you have prescribed in your Date/Time. BlackBerry works differently (and better, IMO) than the other "phones" and allows me to set the TZ.

This is one of those matters that gets discussed here quite often, users either love it or hate it, according to their preferences.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:32 AM   #9
scollin

Model: 8830

Hate it... and BB should fix it. When I last traveled, network time did not change on 8830/Verizon until I reset it...

cheers,
Old 09-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

It's NOT broken. Therefore RIM isn't going to "fix" it. The network time will show but you change your own timezone. When I travel the network time changes all the time. You have to look under Options >Date/Time. You'll see network time and the BB's time. It's that way for a reason due to the linking of the BB to computers for calendaring, email arrivals, etc.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:07 AM   #11
epm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

This took me a little time to figure out. I was just in New York last week, and I couldn't get my BB to switch to the new time zone by selecting Network time. Finally I figured out I needed to select the time zone manually. This is a little tough, when I switched, it bumped all my calendar appts up by 3 hours (naturally), so I had to go though and manually change some of them back. For example, I didn't want everything to still be on Oregon time, some things I wanted on my local time in NY. So it's not perfect, but with a little work, it's not bad.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:56 AM   #12
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Annoyed Innitially

I was annoyed by the time zone issue initially, but if you learn to setup appointments properly it makes it very handy when traveling because your new appointments get slotted for the time zone that you will be in. As a result, fewer missed appointments or head scratching as to when an appointment "really" is. The benefit far outweighs the costs associated with the initial learning curve.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:58 AM   #13
abebaby

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
I was annoyed by the time zone issue initially, but if you learn to setup appointments properly it makes it very handy when traveling because your new appointments get slotted for the time zone that you will be in. As a result, fewer missed appointments or head scratching as to when an appointment "really" is. The benefit far outweighs the costs associated with the initial learning curve.
How do you set up appointments properly? When I'm in EST and set up a 10am in pst, I set it up as 10am. Then when I'm out west and change the time my appointment shifts to 7am. I can't see me initially pre-calculating the time zone of an appointment so when I manually change the time zones the appointment is correct.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #14
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by abebaby View Post
How do you set up appointments properly? When I'm in EST and set up a 10am in pst, I set it up as 10am. Then when I'm out west and change the time my appointment shifts to 7am. I can't see me initially pre-calculating the time zone of an appointment so when I manually change the time zones the appointment is correct.
There is 2 ways to do this, and they are up to your personal preference.

If you want to change TZ on the Berry, would would set the appt for 1000 and specify PST as the TZ. While the BB is set to EST, it would show up at 0700. When you change TZ, it would be adjusted accordingly. Note that changing TZ will adjust ALL your appt. It also means that when looking at your calendar in the EST, you need to remember that that 0700 appt is set for PST.

I prefer setting everything for the real time. If I'm going to Vancouver and have a local meeting at 1000, I set it for 1000. When I get to Vancouver, I change the time on the BB, leaving the TZ alone.

And those preferences is why RIM decided, wisely, to not do an auto TZ change.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #15
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epm
This took me a little time to figure out. I was just in New York last week, and I couldn't get my BB to switch to the new time zone by selecting Network time. Finally I figured out I needed to select the time zone manually. This is a little tough, when I switched, it bumped all my calendar appts up by 3 hours (naturally), so I had to go though and manually change some of them back. For example, I didn't want everything to still be on Oregon time, some things I wanted on my local time in NY. So it's not perfect, but with a little work, it's not bad.
A convert! Bravo!
Old 11-01-2007, 09:50 AM   #16
abebaby

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
There is 2 ways to do this, and they are up to your personal preference.

If you want to change TZ on the Berry, would would set the appt for 1000 and specify PST as the TZ. While the BB is set to EST, it would show up at 0700. When you change TZ, it would be adjusted accordingly. Note that changing TZ will adjust ALL your appt. It also means that when looking at your calendar in the EST, you need to remember that that 0700 appt is set for PST.

I prefer setting everything for the real time. If I'm going to Vancouver and have a local meeting at 1000, I set it for 1000. When I get to Vancouver, I change the time on the BB, leaving the TZ alone.

And those preferences is why RIM decided, wisely, to not do an auto TZ change.

Thanks, I never knew I could set the time myself without changing TZ. Like I said I'm new to BB, in the past I've had a Palm Zire. I got the BB because I needed a phone to use H@H and my palm was dying. I'm still not connected to mail, but that will be coming soon.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:16 AM   #17
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Here are some tips, for what it's worth, partly repeating what has already been posted.

First, the BBFAQ, Why doesn't my time update correctly when I change Time Zones? - BlackBerryFAQ

Additionally, if you choose to use the time zone feature of the blackberry:

* Think of the start and end time as referenced to the time displayed by the blackberry and whatever time zone setting applied.

* When you create an entry in calendar or tasks, set the time and the time zone according to where the appointment or whatever occurs. If you are setting an event that crosses time zones, set the time zone based on the zone in which the start time occurs (i.e. flight boarding time) and set the duration of the event (i.e. flight time). When the entry is saved, the blackberry converts the times to the time zone setting on the blackberry.

* Your appointments and events in other time zones will be offset by the difference from the time zone setting on the blackberry, but your local (i.e. local is where you happen to be, and you have set the blackberry to the local time zone) appointments, etc. will show at correct local time when you change the zone setting to the local time zone wherever you are at that time. But regardless, the times will be referenced to the time on the blackberry. If you have a 10:00AM flight out of Atlanta and you set a calendar alert for 30 minutes before the flight, but your blackberry is still set to Pacific Time, your alert will still activate at 30 minutes before the flight.

* Be sure to return the setting to you home time zone before syncing with your home computer.

Last edited by JSanders; 11-01-2007 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: fixed link
Closed Thread