BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
bloodmoney

Model: 8100
Default Problem setting up hotmail

Please Login to Remove!

When I recieved my pearl last week I went through all of the set up modules and was able to add my hotmail account as one of my emails. I receive all emails from hotmail on the pearl now with no problem. My wife received her replacement pearl today and I proceeded to set it up for her as I had done with mine. When I entered her hotmail account I received a message telling me that I would have to go to upgrade.msn.com or something like that were I would have to pay $20 to have her hotmail account set up with some type of outlook services. I did not have to do this with my hotmail setup so I called cingular tech support and the guy tells me that since hotmail is not POP like yahoo or msn I would have to pay microsoft the $20 to get the wife's email to work. BullSh!t I say. I told the guy I'm sitting here reading my hotmail emails and I didn't pay a dime for it(aside from my data fees of course). He try's to tell me that I got lucky or something.WTF???

So my questions are: 1. Did I beat the system?
2. Is my tech support guy an idiot?
3. Is hotmail not a POP services?
4. How do I fix this?

Oh yeah, he did tell me that I could make a blackberry email account that would receive all of my hotmails and then be forwarded to the pearl. But this option seems dumb to me.

I have a little envelope that has a little globe on it for my hotmail account on the menu screen of the pearl. How do I get my wife one of those?

thanks in advance,

bloodmoney
Old 01-12-2007, 02:54 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Hotmail, is indeed, hit or miss. Some people have success and some don't. I've heard it depends on age of the account, wireless carrier, etc. I just tried to set up someone's hotmail account and had the same problem.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:12 AM   #3
chetzy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: o2 - uk

So my questions are: 1. Did I beat the system? Nope, as John mentioned, it often hit/miss usually older accounts work.
2. Is my tech support guy an idiot? Yup, but dont blame him, he was born that way
3. Is hotmail not a POP services? Hotmail can be a Pop service, but you will have to pay,
4. How do I fix this? Forward your emails to a non-hotmail account, thats set up on your bb.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
bloodmoney

Default Hmmmmm

So what I'm hearing is for her phone I will have to set up a blackberry email account and then route all of her hotmail accounts throught that. So irritating. She still has her original hotmail account that was set up back around 2000 when mine was. The account I was trying to set up for her is the one she set up when we got married about two and a half years ago.

Is gmail a POP account?

How does the forwarding feature work?

bloodmoney
Old 01-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
sbsnyder

Carrier: T-Mobile

Bloodmoney - What provider do you have?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
bloodmoney

Default Currently w/ Cingular

Cingy
Old 01-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
Fkewl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell

Hotmail is NOT pop by default (pay 20$ or somesuch to have it)
only yahoo/gmail (and others i dont know) have pop abilities

Since microsoft as more than 1 server and system for all hotmail acnts, you are lucky it works (mine does not). Maybe the server your acnt is on was not upgraded correctly Or you might not remember paying them to have the pop access.

Gmail has free pop access (you need to enable it in the settings), then setup a rule in hotmail to forward all email to gmail, which will then be synched to BB.
Gradually retire the hotmail email and use the Gmail instead , which personally, i like better than hotmail.

With sufficient thrust, Blackberrys can fly
Old 01-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
akshat21
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone India, Du

i had the same problem setting up my account in BIS. I have had a hotmail account since atleast 1999. I was finally able to get it work recently.

First of all, enroll in the msn live beta program (if you have not already done so). after that click on options on the right top side and in the drop down menu click more options. In the options page, click on "View and edit your personal information" and then click on settings (second option on left side) over here set up a mobile/pin option and also change your password. This I think forces your account on a different server.

Once all of this is done, save your settings and logout. Now from the blackberry browser, goto mobile.live.com and sign in once with the PHONE/PIN option. Once you are logged in and close the browser and then goto bis services and set the hotmail account up.

It worked for me. Try it, if it works do tell me. Maybe mine was also fluke or not..

OH!! and i also sent an email to microsoft saying i am switching to gmail. Don't think that helped though... HEHE
Old 01-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshat21
i had the same problem setting up my account in BIS. I have had a hotmail account since atleast 1999. I was finally able to get it work recently.

First of all, enroll in the msn live beta program.....

It worked for me. Try it, if it works do tell me. Maybe mine was also fluke or not..
I tried it. no go for me. but I realized my account only opened in 2003 when I changed my name I got a new one - been with hotmail forever tho. maybe that was why.

but instead now I have a bookmark for the mobile.live and that is the easiest to read/manuever around. so not a total loss. thanks for putting this out there!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #10
JackyC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Yeah, one of my still active Hotmail accounts since I was in the sixth grade (7 years ago) works. But my newer one, which I use for more professional purposes does not work because that account was made 4 years ago.
Closed Thread