Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #41
nick.dollimount
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 216DF034
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

What would be a sweet idea is if they allowed the user to assign available shortcut keys to whatever applications they want.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #42
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default 5.0.0.130 working well (mostly) on my 8900

Takes some patience, but it is working pretty well -- better, for me, than .100 was working. This looks good enough to keep I think.

Some pointers from my experience over the last 12 hours:

I, and a few others who've been posting on various forums, couldn't receive SMS text messages after installing this OS. I'll spare you my saga -- but it turns out that the BB firewall had somehow gotten set to block incoming SMS messages. This is true for at least a few people -- so it's possible that the default setting was wrong with this release (?). If you cannot receive an SMS message, go to Options / Advanced Options / Security / Firewall and see if anything is being blocked.

BeeJiveIM -- the account setup screen is messed up, and makes it virtually impossible to see what you're doing. However if you have patience, you can, in fact, get your accounts added. After that, it works beautifully. I have my accounts for GoogleTalk, AIM, Yahoo and MSN/Live running and it all looks good. Will probably add FB in a bit as well, as this version supports that (I think it's beta 1.2).

While I'm here, this is what else I've seen:

BerryWeather works just fine.
Maratick works.
BBM5 works if you get the right one (I did the OTA install) -- sweet!
Slacker works.
Pandora works.
Yahoo! oneSearch works
Slifter works
Google Mobile App works
Poynt works
YellowPages.com Mobile works
BBFileScout works
MobiHand App Store works
Anagram works
QuickLaunch works
Google Voice app seems to work (haven't tested it hard, yet, but appears good)
Docs to Go free edition seems to work, but an attempt to download the free update does NOT work
Bluetooth connected to my car (BMW) and works perfectly

---

BB App World does NOT work in this version (and I just tried downloading 1.0.0.30 -- no joy)

Viigo hasn't been working yet for me, but I think there's an alpha that DOES work -- I'll look after posting this

---

Some interesting new apps:

Visual Voice Mail -- looks like an incoming message list, but this is supposed to allow you to download your voice msgs to the BB either on demand or as a background task, and see them in the message list, where you can manage them (save, forward, erase). Applet seems to be working, but it seems that there's no back-end service support this yet. Should be nice.

There's a "mobile backup" icon now (maybe it was there before and I missed it?) that works -- it lets you upload your contacts to T-Mobile (if that's your provider). Not sure if it works with other carriers. I fired it up, and it uploaded 100 of my 490+ contacts and then got an error. I tried again, got a bit farther and got the error. Then I just received an SMS from T-mobile saying that my service was now activated, and that I can manage my contacts from either t-mobile.com or my handset. Still seems a bit buggy, but this is promising...

Tabbed browsing is nice and the browser seems to handle well, although I haven't tested it rigorously yet.

Something new: when on your apps/icons screen, click the menu key briefly and select "options". You'll be able to choose your download folder, set the wallpaper for the home screen from here, reset the wallpaper to its theme default, reset the icon arrangement on your apps/icons screen to the default, and also have one more option I haven't seen before. From this screen, you can "Set Home Screen Layout", with choices being Zen or Today. The default for my setup was "Zen", which is apparently how the custom BerryWeather theme was designed -- when I switched to "Today", I wound up with a typical classic-style today screen (no hidden today) with a default background image. Aside from being confusing, I found this today screen VERY slow to scroll over.

With everything in this release, the installer is about 35% bigger than the earlier releases. You can see that more has been loaded into the phone, and more is running in the background. So it's not a surprise to see about 10MB less free memory with this version. I'll keep an eye on it today to make sure it's not dropping (leaking) throughout the day.

That's it for now. Overall, I like it, and I like the evolutionary changes that RIM is making, although I'd like to see the UI opened up a bit more. A bit of effort to be this one working, but I'm happy enough with this to try it for at least a week to see if it's "production ready" for my purposes.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #43
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
I, and a few others who've been posting on various forums, couldn't receive SMS text messages after installing this OS. I'll spare you my saga -- but it turns out that the BB firewall had somehow gotten set to block incoming SMS messages. This is true for at least a few people -- so it's possible that the default setting was wrong with this release (?). If you cannot receive an SMS message, go to Options / Advanced Options / Security / Firewall and see if anything is being blocked.
Thanks! That fixed my SMS problem.

Now, if I could just get the Vibrate profile to work.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 07-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #44
wumpus

Model: 7290
Carrier: ATT
Default BBM5.0 on OS 5.0.0.130

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotburnttoast View Post
Thanks R-Rizzo,

Worked like a charm, found an OTA link for BBM5.0 for OS5.0 and installed, my BBM 5.0 is working

Where, oh where, can you find BBM5.0 for 0S 5.0?? Tried the suggestion of the version for the Tour, but no luck.

BBM5.0 is shown in the applications list but there is no launcher icon found.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #45
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Ok, so here's how I had to fix my "Vibrate" profile:

1. Change to the "Normal" profile.
2. Go to Sounds > Edit Profiles.
3. Select "Vibrate Only".
4. Select Phone, and change the "Vibrate" option to Off. Press Esc > Save.
5. Repeat step 4 for each type of alert (Messages, Instant Messages, Reminders, Other).
6. Save and exit back to home screen.
7. Go back and turn the "Vibrate" option to On for each type of alert.
8. Change profile to "Vibrate Only" and everthing works as it should.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 07-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #46
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
Where, oh where, can you find BBM5.0 for 0S 5.0?? Tried the suggestion of the version for the Tour, but no luck.

BBM5.0 is shown in the applications list but there is no launcher icon found.

Thanks.
BBM 5.0 OTAxxx8217;s for everyone who missed out on the first leak | BerryReview.com »

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 07-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #47
wumpus

Model: 7290
Carrier: ATT

Thank you. works like a charm now.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #48
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

vinmontRD, you see pretty much the same new features I did.
http://www.blackberrynews.com/2009/0...abbed-browser/

Check out the visual postcard for Tmobile, with cropping and all.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #49
drock19

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cincinnati bell

Okay i loaded it doing a complete wipe first then the os and this was a nice release i guess you could say a lot of new features even from the .100 version but way more bugs i found at least so i loaded 4.6.1 back on. here is what i have found

here is a little review for the 8900 version
Pros:
-Tabbed browsing
- vibe and ring and other new profile features( read more about it below though)
-custom dictionary is back in the menu which i found as a plus
- predictive txt was a tad different from just having the words pop up sometimes
-battery life was actually very good
-scroll through your pictures
- some new fonts and could go down to 5 size font
-memory status was nice so you could see where and how your memory is being used
-event sounds for when you power on and off your phone and plug in your charger

Cons:
-When you go into the profiles it is similar to the .100 but one more feature is added vibrate and ring simultaneously, the problem i found was even after you saved it the red led light would flash as if you had a txt until l your back to the home screen

-i didnt actually see anything even in the options about mms either and couldn't receive multimedia messages... which was a litte annoying

-the browser and the pointer were a little buggy when it came to typing in text input boxes

-apps obviously is a downfall but its still beta what can you do, but along with that people need to realize facebook doesnt work bc the version 1.6 doenst support 5.0 os. its like anything else like programs and windows 7 some programs just wont work that are meant for lets say windows xp bc its coded different and not compatible and from what i keep reading i feel like people think its blackberry's fault when its really the app vendor the majority of the time

-sometimes my vibrate would work and my tone wouldnt go off or sometimes i would just see my light flashing and have a few txts and never felt or heard a thing

so in all its an alright release to be honest liked .100 a lot better stability wise but the new features were a definite plus. and think RIM still has some work to do though. tell me if anybody else was having any of these problems or any more to add that i might of forgot lol
Old 07-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #50
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drock19 View Post
-i didnt actually see anything even in the options about mms either and couldn't receive multimedia messages... which was a litte annoying
This was discussed above. The BB firewall is turned on by default. You have to disable blocking of incoming messages.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 07-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #51
fish1856
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 20ED27EF
Carrier: T Mobile

Did threaded SMS make it into this build or did the BBM get left out again?
Old 07-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #52
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish1856 View Post
Did threaded SMS make it into this build or did the BBM get left out again?
BBM is still version 4.7. You have to manually upgrade the BBM to 5.0.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 07-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #53
fish1856

PIN: 20ED27EF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneycm View Post
BBM is still version 4.7. You have to manually upgrade the BBM to 5.0.
That I know, but it wasn't in the BBM 5.0 build, wasn't sure if the combo of the two would enable the feature.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #54
doggie

Model: 8230

Quote:
Ok, so here's how I had to fix my "Vibrate" profile:

1. Change to the "Normal" profile.
2. Go to Sounds > Edit Profiles.
3. Select "Vibrate Only".
4. Select Phone, and change the "Vibrate" option to Off. Press Esc > Save.
5. Repeat step 4 for each type of alert (Messages, Instant Messages, Reminders, Other).
6. Save and exit back to home screen.
7. Go back and turn the "Vibrate" option to On for each type of alert.
8. Change profile to "Vibrate Only" and everthing works as it should.
Thanks Corey - that fixed my vibrate problem for phone calls, messages, etc; however, I still can't get the alarm vibrate mode to work. The alarm would go off but it doesn't vibrate. Any thoughts?
Old 07-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #55
ddrdh4

Carrier: TMO
Default Can load V5.0.0.130

After installing V5.0.0.130 on my PC and removing the vendor.xml file. Then starting BB Desktop and plugged in my 8900. It doesn't find the new version.
I go to load it manually and it says:
"Only active Blackberry service subscribers are entitled to install this Blackberry Device Software upgrade."
Does any one know why I would get this?
I have my BB service through T-Mobile and have had it for around 18 months. I have been able to upgrade other versions with no problem I just upgraded to .250 about a week ago beautifully.
Using desktop version 5.0.

Last edited by ddrdh4; 07-28-2009 at 04:17 PM..
Old 07-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #56
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
vinmontRD, you see pretty much the same new features I did.
http://www.blackberrynews.com/2009/0...abbed-browser/

Check out the visual postcard for Tmobile, with cropping and all.
That BlackberryNews piece was one of the one that got me interested in this...

When I first tried the visual postcard, I got java exceptions, apparently because I had removed the T-Mobile Fave Five (or whatever they call it) feature using crackmem. Apparently some of the modules that were removed have code that the Postcard feature depends on. So I wound up moving the files back into the java dir and re-running app loader to load them onto the 8900. Postcard looks like a fun little app, although i haven't had much time to play with it.

Overall, I like the OS, and the only real annoyance is that it won't stay in "UMA" in my home (and home office), but drops to "uma" which means that half my apps that rely on a normal Internet connection won't work. I've rebooted the routers (two of them -- two separate wlan's -- channels 1 and 6 -- no noticeable interference prior to now), rebooted the phone several times, checked settings, etc. This version just doesn't seem to like being on UMA in my environment for some reason.

If I can figure that out, I'll be keeping this version for now. If not, I may have to fall back, as I use the BB regularly, and it's crippled when in my home office now. Must explore some more.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #57
drock19

Quote:
This was discussed above. The BB firewall is turned on by default. You have to disable blocking of incoming messages.
yes i know i already checked that and it was completely turned off. but that is not exactly what i mean i mean when i go into the view folders menu there is no mms inbox and outbox like previous versions no mms options in the options menu and my email and txt in-boxes are separate and when you scroll over it it just said sms not sms and mms like previous versions and people tried sending me mms and got none maybe i just got a glitch in my instillation...
Old 07-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #58
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Try resending your service books.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 07-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #59
raja_3012
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhn4

QuickPull does not work.. I am big fan of that app but it does not work

Nokia 2100 > Nokia 6100 > Samsung t319 > Nokia 5300 > Blackberry 8320 > Blackberry 8900 > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4
Old 07-28-2009, 10:26 PM   #60
drock19

yeah i just said screw it lol. i hated the media player too my headphone jack wouldnt work if i changed the volume level then paused it and unpaused it and it would go back to like full volume like there is a dafault set on it now. idk maybe it was just my 8900 but that was unstable in so many ways .100 was more stable for me than .130 by a long shot... which sucks bc damn did i love the features guess ill wait for an official release
Closed Thread