KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esemay
Have any consumers had luck getting this added? The reps are sticking with this is a business only feature and will be release to consumers 1st Q 2006.
I am a consumer and have had it working since midnight last night just do this exactly as you see it:

Ok, got it done. Here's the how-to. Call 866-788-9387 Select Option 2 Option 2 Option 2

Tell them you want to add BroadbandAccess Connect. The feature code is 71764 no additional charge. Basically 71764 replaces the standard BB Unlimited code from what I understood.

Load the 4.0.2 software. When the phone comes up, it will say DATA CONNECTION REFUSED. The EVDO won't take effect until you do a *22899 which tells the phone to download the new feature code. Once connected, do a Register Now to make the phone download the new Preferred Roaming List which will tell the phone to roam into EVDO first and 1xRTT second.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 11-22-2005, 01:22 PM   #82
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

I want to update my modem FAQ.

1. When configured properly, does it say "EVDO" on your 7250 where it used to say "1X"?
2. Try my modem FAQ. Does it work? What changes are needed to my modem FAQ, specifically for Verizon?
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 11-22-2005, 01:22 PM   #83
KonTiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmadrid
Thanks for the advice, didn't help. I still don't see 1XEV on my home screen. It looks like I may have to call VZW back.

I had the BroadbandAccess Connect added to my account, then downloaded the desktop manager software v4.1, then installed the firmware upgrade. I then did both a *228/2 and a *22899, followed David's advice above and registered the first entry in the HRT, have removed the battery several times and still do not get the 1XEV on my home screen.

Does anybody see any steps I am missing before I call tech support? I bet they're getting hit with a lot of calls today, the vast majority from BBForum community members!
Maybe there arent any EVDO enabled towers near you remember that this has not been a national release as far as I know, I am in NJ and it is working fine here.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 11-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #84
animlmed
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: none

You will love this. Verizon Tech support doesn't know their tushie from a whole in the ground. They had me do a soft reset, a (gasp!) hard reset and had me mess with some settings and they still cannot get it to work. They are bumping me up to engineering because "something must be wrong with my phone". They were like, "have you ever had internet on this phone?" and I was like, yeah, until I called y'all and did the upgrade.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #85
KonTiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by animlmed
Besides EVDO (THE most important feature) has anyone noticed any other differences? ie, better microphone selectivity, different themes, etc?
Look at your calculator it is improved greatly.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 11-22-2005, 01:29 PM   #86
KonTiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by animlmed
I had 1XEV come up on the phone and now, it is terlling me data connection refused and there is a 1x now....

You are probably in a fringe area and it drifts in and out. I bet if you reboot you will get it back, maybe finds a better tower.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 11-22-2005, 01:30 PM   #87
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Let me make a first crack at writing official BlackBerryForums instructions on activating Verizon BroadbandAccess EVDO on a BlackBerry 7250:

How To Enable EVDO BroadbandAccess on Verizon BlackBerry 7250 or 7130
(VERSION 9)

WARNING: This is confirmed working for Verizon business users at this time. Consumer users can make this work, but you may have to escalate the issue with Verizon. Non-business users of a Verizon BlackBerry should read this post now first. If you are a consumer user, you may able to activate this feature AT YOUR OWN RISK - There is no guarantee - You MAY lose service. That being said, there are success reports by some (but not all) consumers.
  1. Call Verizon 866-788-9387
    Select Option 2, Option 2, Option 2
  2. Configure Your BlackBerry Account With Verizon
    When somebody answers, say that you want to add "BroadbandAccess Connect" to your account. If they understand this, they will configure the account automatically for you. On the other hand, if you reach somebody who does not understand fully, help them by the following:
    (A) Say you want feature code EVDSB. This will enable enable EVDO.
    (B) If you use voice and data, say you want feature code MNAI 3 for tethering.
    (C) If you use data only, say you want feature code MNAI 1 for tethering.

Important Note: Simply enabling EVDO using the code EVDSB is free. However, using the MNAI codes will cost an extra $15 per month if you want to tether your BlackBerry to a laptop. In certain states, some people have supplied codes 71764 or 71904 but these should not be necessary.
    If Verizon Customer Service says this feature is not available yet, politely tell them that the VERIZON WEBSITE says it is available - give them this link: http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/vzw402 where it says BroadbandAccess is now available for BlackBerry 7250 today.
  3. Upgrade Your PC To BlackBerry Desktop To Version 4.1 or later.
    Download this upgrade from http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/vzw402. Install this on the laptop or PC you plan to use your BlackBerry on.
  4. Upgrade Your BlackBerry To BlackBerryOS 4.0.2.41 or later.
    Also download this upgrade from http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/vzw402. Download to the same laptop or desktop PC, and install this OS while your BlackBerry is connected to your computer by USB cable.
    Note: This step might not be necessary for 7130 or newer 7250's sold in 2006. You can verify by going to Options->About on your BlackBerry to check your BlackBerryOS version number.
  5. Boot Your BlackBerry - It May Take 30 Minutes
    After installing the BlackBerryOS upgrade, it may take 30 minutes to boot. After you install the newest BlackBerryOS, your BlackBerry will say "Data Connection Refused". Follow the next step to fix this.
  6. Enable EVDO on Your BlackBerry
    Dial the telephone number *22899 including the asterik before the five numbers. This automatically tells your BlackBerry to download the new feature.
  7. Re-Register Your BlackBerry
    On your BlackBerry, go to Options->Host Routing Table->Register Now
  8. You Now Have EVDO on Your BlackBerry
    In your home screen, you will have "1XEV" instead of "1X" at the top if you are inside a major urban center covered with Verizon BroadbandAccess EVDO reception.
  9. Using BlackBerry As Modem For Laptop
    Download VZAccess from http://vzw.smithmicro.com/download/ and install on your laptop. This allows you to use your BlackBerry 7250 as a wireless highspeed modem! The modem feature will still work on 1X even if you are not in an EVDO reception area.
  10. Alternative Modem Feature
    If you do not want to run VZAccess, there are alternative, more complicated instructions, that can be found at HOWTO: Use BlackBerry As Modem For Laptop. It is not absolutely necessary to use VZAccess, as a user reported it also works without VZAccess on both the 1X and 1XEVDO networks.
  11. Note: These instructions are VERSION 9
    Many success reports now exist with these instructions.
    Corrections will be made to these instructions on an ongoing basis.
    These instructions WILL NOT work on any 7750.
    These instructions PROBABLY WILL work on a Verizon 7130.
    These instructions DO NOT YET work on Sprint or Bell Mobility 7250.
  12. Possible Problem: If BlackBerry Randomly Switches Between 1x, 1X, 1XEV or "Connection Refused"
    Go to phone, enter ##000000 and hit dial. That is two pound marks followed by six zeros. You will see a screen. Scroll to where it says SIP Password, then type vzw in the password field. Also verify that all three usernames are <phone number>@vzw3g.com on this screen. Then select Save, and Restart.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 11-29-2005 at 08:26 PM..
Old 11-22-2005, 01:38 PM   #88
flytags

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Just thought I'd throw a quick note in here. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a data support technician, who was working with a customer service rep. They had all kinds of problems activating BroadbandAccess Connect on my account. After 45 minutes of waiting on hold, the data support guy got back on the phone and informed me that he just received a brief from his supervisor that this service is unavailable for non-business consumers until Q1 2006. Basically January.

D'oh! Oh well, I guess I can wait another couple months.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:39 PM   #89
jlopatin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Let me make a first crack at writing official BlackBerryForums instructions on activating Verizon BroadbandAccess EVDO on a BlackBerry 7250:

.[*]Follow Mark Rejhon's BlackBerry Modem FAQ
If you want to connect your laptop to use your BlackBerry 7250 as a wireless highspeed modem, follow these instructions at this address:
HOWTO: Use BlackBerry As Modem For Laptop

In order to tether, you need to install and run Verizon's VZAccess software. It does all the setup for you.

Then you run VZAccess, and click the connect button.

This should be all you need to update your FAQ, Mark!

-j
Old 11-22-2005, 01:44 PM   #90
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlopatin
In order to tether, you need to install and run Verizon's VZAccess software. It does all the setup for you.
Then you run VZAccess, and click the connect button.
This should be all you need to update your FAQ, Mark!
-j
Most tether software simply automate stuff that's already been done in carrier dialer software (such as VZAccess). That doesn't mean my FAQ wouldn't work once VZAccess worked.

Has any VZAccess user also followed my FAQ?

I'll update my FAQ to tell Verizon users to simply download VZAccess, but I wanted to see if the long instructions also works.

Also, edited my howto with new information so far.

Let me know, and thanks!

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 11-22-2005 at 01:47 PM..
Old 11-22-2005, 01:53 PM   #91
jlopatin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

it does set up a dial up connection, but it also installs the Venturi client, which is supposed to help speed up access. I'm not paying the extra $15 right now, so I was unable to do much advanced testing. I logged on, and went to a couple of sites. I assume I will be charged an arm and a leg for this. But I had to try it!

As for just setting up a dial up connection, your current instructions should work as well.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:55 PM   #92
psuwtb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Sprint?

Any word from any Sprint users if EVDO has gone live as well, or will be coming very very soon now that VZW bit the bulllet?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:11 PM   #93
word2218
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: up
Carrier: T-Mob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
I want to update my modem FAQ.

1. When configured properly, does it say "EVDO" on your 7250 where it used to say "1X"?
2. Try my modem FAQ. Does it work? What changes are needed to my modem FAQ, specifically for Verizon?

1 - it works on both EVDO and 1X.. it'll say either 1X or 1XEV.. along the top banner of the home screen it'll say something like Modem Mode

2 - I haven't looked at your FAQ, but you need to download the VZ Access Manager software, and configure it that way - it should set up everything properly. Don't know how to get around it any other way
Old 11-22-2005, 02:16 PM   #94
KonTiki

I guess one cant be greedy but all I have left to accomplish to do the happy, happy, HAPPY dance is to install the themes I have created, but I have EVDO and I can also use the phone as a modem, so for now, its just the happy, happy dance. So for the people spending hundreds on the 8700c and r, here is looking at you kids.

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki; 11-22-2005 at 02:19 PM..
Old 11-22-2005, 02:19 PM   #95
animlmed
Thumbs Must Hurt

No one at Verizon seems to know what is going on with my phone.....
Old 11-22-2005, 02:24 PM   #96
animlmed
Thumbs Must Hurt

Now they tel me my phone is not a broadband access capable phone. Gotta love 'em!
Old 11-22-2005, 02:28 PM   #97
thegallier

Model: 7250
Carrier: verizon

I would leave the long instructions for now. The dialer keeps on trying to acces VZW Broadband even when you are disconnected from blackberry and hooked up to internet via other means. Quite annoying.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:29 PM   #98
LarsenNET
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

I am a business customer in Indiana. I just called the 866 number listed above and told them to add the code 71764 for the BroadbandAccess Connect feature. I am told that code does not work in my billing area. I said ok how about MNAI3? They said that code works but it will be a $15 charge to add it to the account. They have no way to add EVDO support without MNAI3 and charging the $15. If someone knows how to get around this please let me know.

At this point a generic FAQ isn’t good enough yet.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:37 PM   #99
lenemery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: att

a different vzn cust svce rep tried code 71904 which had same description as the other code. but, then still cant authentication problems, so maybe that code only works for certain groups of users like employees or enterprise
Old 11-22-2005, 02:44 PM   #100
BB_WayCool

It took a bunch more time than I would have ever thought reasonable and of course it is not documented that the boot takes 1/2 hour and since tech support wasn't even aware of the upgrade when I called, I assumed that my BB had left the planet. All is up and 1XEX is steady after updating my roaming with *228 option 2. Sweet.
Closed Thread