Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 03:44 PM   #301
word2218
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: up
Carrier: T-Mob

Please Login to Remove!

just as an fyi, new PRLs have been released today.. I'm going to download them and see if I still get a roaming indicator when I go home.. hopefully this will have solved it.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:00 PM   #302
abstractrude
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7550
Default My experience!

So i tried to do the ev-do upgrade over the weekend.

1) Install new os onto phone.
2) reboot and all
3) get connection resfused error
4) call verizon ask to have EVDSB added to my account
5) verzion guy says he cant do it
6) Repeat step 4 2 more times
7) Still cant add EVDSB without changing my account
8) Downgrade my OS, no ev-do yet

Anyone have a similar exprerience.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #303
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstractrude
So i tried to do the ev-do upgrade over the weekend.

1) Install new os onto phone.
2) reboot and all
3) get connection resfused error
4) call verizon ask to have EVDSB added to my account
5) verzion guy says he cant do it
6) Repeat step 4 2 more times
7) Still cant add EVDSB without changing my account
8) Downgrade my OS, no ev-do yet

Anyone have a similar exprerience.
In our market, Verizon will only add EVDO (shows up as 1XEVDO) if you have the 44.95 blackberry unlimited plan... you can not have the "core" plan.. that makes bb unlimited 40 dollars..
Old 12-05-2005, 04:34 PM   #304
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomryan
In our market, Verizon will only add EVDO (shows up as 1XEVDO) if you have the 44.95 blackberry unlimited plan... you can not have the "core" plan.. that makes bb unlimited 40 dollars..
Well I have the new 7130 w/44.95 BB unlimited plan. My device shows 1XEV but I cannot connect via the modem to the standard data work (#777). I get an invalid username/password. I don't want the EDVO tether, just good old standard data.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:25 PM   #305
BrianW
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

How do you know when new PRLs are released?
Old 12-05-2005, 06:52 PM   #306
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
Well I have the new 7130 w/44.95 BB unlimited plan. My device shows 1XEV but I cannot connect via the modem to the standard data work (#777). I get an invalid username/password. I don't want the EDVO tether, just good old standard data.
I'm not sure.. Have you tried using VZWaccess? Some people have stated that you get normal 1xrtt speeds through that unless you have the tether option on your account, if you do, you get EVDO speeds..

not sure if this means you use your minutes to tether at 1xrtt..

I haven't tried it (I have an ibook) and have no real interest in trying it.. truth be told, I would rather have 4.1 than EVDO

that being said, the evdo does make ssh connections (using idokorro's product) much much faster.. rather than that.. can't really tell a difference.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:12 PM   #307
whsbuss

Quote:
I'm not sure.. Have you tried using VZWaccess? Some people have stated that you get normal 1xrtt speeds through that unless you have the tether option on your account, if you do, you get EVDO speeds..

not sure if this means you use your minutes to tether at 1xrtt..

I haven't tried it (I have an ibook) and have no real interest in trying it.. truth be told, I would rather have 4.1 than EVDO

that being said, the evdo does make ssh connections (using idokorro's product) much much faster.. rather than that.. can't really tell a difference.
Thanks. I tried that but still get invalid username/password. Can anyone tell me what data option I should see on my VZW account? I just see these:

BLACKBERRY UNLIMITED BBA $44.95
IP GENERAL USE W/FES $0.00
NATLACCESS ROAMING PAYU $0.00
Old 12-05-2005, 07:27 PM   #308
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
Thanks. I tried that but still get invalid username/password. Can anyone tell me what data option I should see on my VZW account? I just see these:

BLACKBERRY UNLIMITED BBA $44.95
IP GENERAL USE W/FES $0.00
NATLACCESS ROAMING PAYU $0.00
I believe these lines are market based.. some people have EVDO allowance, others have 1XEVDO..

Maybe if you post what market you're in, someone else (who is in the same market) will be able to answer your question.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #309
whsbuss

Quote:
I believe these lines are market based.. some people have EVDO allowance, others have 1XEVDO..

Maybe if you post what market you're in, someone else (who is in the same market) will be able to answer your question.
I'm in the Phila,Pa market.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:22 PM   #310
word2218
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
How do you know when new PRLs are released?
surf on howardforums.com

a good site for verizon info, as well as general cell phone info
Old 12-06-2005, 03:28 AM   #311
evandt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Default more information

I originally posted about a week ago that all was working fine with my 7250 and evdo in Baltimore, LA and NY. I couldn't believe all the problems I was seeing on the forums. Well, finally, I'm getting them too. at least I'm not left out! I usually get it twice a day or so. I've noticed it mainly happening going through areas of limited or weaker signal back and forth into better signal areas(happens a ton in LA going over the hill). Some general information, I've received full EVDO in Baltimore, NY, Boston, DC and LA. I've received the DCR error in all of those cities except for Boston(wasn't there long enough to trully know). From what I gather reading what is posted here and what I've been experiencing it seems to be somewhat obvious that: 1- this is our fault for upgrading before we were supposed to. and 2-the problem were having is most likely tied to our features and software not being fully funcitional with the current system and settings. In my opinion I don't believe it is "fully consumer ready and available" yet. Why would it be so hard to get the upgrade? It makes no sense, if it was fully available to consumers then the people in the stores would tell you, the level 1 reps would tell you, everyone would know. It wouldn't be like world war 3 getting EVDO enabled. Also Verizon would most likely have the link on the 7250 page(which still has the old 4.0 link on it). So what I'd suggest is that if you are seriously hindered with the DCR error, I'd downgrade. If you're not tethering the upgrade is not THAT crutial. I've gotta be honest, while I love having EVDO, the web browsing is still OK at best and unless you're doing almost all of your daily web browsing on your blackberry(which I seriously hope you're not) it may be a good decision to cut your losses at present and enjoy a fully working blackberry. I'll tough it out for a while but you have to ask yourself is having a slightly faster web browser worth potentially getting DCR errors every day and having no data services during those times?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:36 AM   #312
patrick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: VERIZON

I got the new dowloads all set--Verizon was very nice and helpful and enabled EVDO. However I am still only showing 1X even though I am in an area where I believe it should be 1XEV..Not sure of my next step.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:48 AM   #313
stonent

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

You didn't say if you followed Mark's directions or not.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:53 AM   #314
patrick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: VERIZON

i think I did
lett me review them again
Old 12-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #315
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandt
I originally posted about a week ago that all was working fine with my 7250 and evdo in Baltimore, LA and NY. I couldn't believe all the problems I was seeing on the forums. Well, finally, I'm getting them too. at least I'm not left out! I usually get it twice a day or so. I've noticed it mainly happening going through areas of limited or weaker signal back and forth into better signal areas(happens a ton in LA going over the hill). Some general information, I've received full EVDO in Baltimore, NY, Boston, DC and LA. I've received the DCR error in all of those cities except for Boston(wasn't there long enough to trully know). From what I gather reading what is posted here and what I've been experiencing it seems to be somewhat obvious that: 1- this is our fault for upgrading before we were supposed to. and 2-the problem were having is most likely tied to our features and software not being fully funcitional with the current system and settings. In my opinion I don't believe it is "fully consumer ready and available" yet. Why would it be so hard to get the upgrade? It makes no sense, if it was fully available to consumers then the people in the stores would tell you, the level 1 reps would tell you, everyone would know. It wouldn't be like world war 3 getting EVDO enabled. Also Verizon would most likely have the link on the 7250 page(which still has the old 4.0 link on it). So what I'd suggest is that if you are seriously hindered with the DCR error, I'd downgrade. If you're not tethering the upgrade is not THAT crutial. I've gotta be honest, while I love having EVDO, the web browsing is still OK at best and unless you're doing almost all of your daily web browsing on your blackberry(which I seriously hope you're not) it may be a good decision to cut your losses at present and enjoy a fully working blackberry. I'll tough it out for a while but you have to ask yourself is having a slightly faster web browser worth potentially getting DCR errors every day and having no data services during those times?
Of course, you miss the key point, which is that 7130 users are having the exact same issues so everything you state above is slightly offbase..

My personal opinion, is that EVDO with Verizon is generally not stable yet..

I know they released updated PRLs yesterday, did you *22899 lately?

Tom
Old 12-06-2005, 10:15 AM   #316
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Well i did the upgrade to the new PRL and the first thing I have noticed is that in my Office i was getting 1X not 1XEV. As of the upgrade yesterday, I am getting 1XEV at both places. I figured I would wait till today to post it on the off chance that it was a fluke but its not. I am still not geeting any Data Connection Refused signals. I may be blessed but so far I have had no issues with the EVDo upgrade in general and I hope I have not jinxed it by saying so, but at any rate I will keep you posted. On a side issue since I upgraded to the handheld 4.02.41 I have also been able to use javaloader for screen captures which is neat and someone in here wrote a little app called JL_CMDER that sort of streamlines the process which I found helpful.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-06-2005, 03:27 PM   #317
word2218
Thumbs Must Hurt

since upgrading to the new software, has anyone experienced that its taking them a much longer time to charge the blackberry?

it seems like I used to be able to charge it fully in about an hour and 1/2, and now it seems to want anywhere from 3-5 hours..
Old 12-06-2005, 05:20 PM   #318
loyalblackberryuser

Model: 7250
Default 7250 Evdo

Just so everyone is clear. If you call verizon more than once each time you will get a different response for the EVDO feature on the 7250. At the end of the day after calling 4 times and making 4 seperate attempts i now have EVDO working successfully on my 7250. I am a consumer user not business user.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #319
Lemurian16

Model: 8100
Carrier: Tmobile

I just upgraded to the new Verizon 7100 and had to have them add Broadband access on my account. The rep wasn't sure what I was talking about so after a few transfers and escalations it took the highest level tech to inform the customer service rep on how to set up the access for my number. I was also told that if our company gets additional 7100's in order for them to receive emails from our BBES they have to be on broadband, does the broadband network cover the same areas as the old data network covered?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:22 AM   #320
amitsf03

Model: 7250
Default my experience with activation and usage

My Situation:
BB 7250
personal account
no BES account
10 MB usage - $24.99/month w/ voice account
san francisco market number, address listed in the detroit market

What I am trying to get:
Unlimited MB via Tethering
10 MB Blackberry

What I got:
Unlimited MB via Tethering
Unlimited MB Blackberry

So I tried to call Verizon through their data support. Those guys gave me the standard run around about the blackberry service not available for the personal accounts.

I came to the conclusion that it might be easier for me to go through customer service (*611, option 0, option 0). I spoke with them about broadband for my blackberry. took them a few tries to understand what I am saying but they finally figured it out. I think they figured i had the 7130e but the store didn't active the plan correctly. They went ahead and just added the $15 tethering plan via EVDO. I updated my software and did all that, and ended up with Data Connection Refused. Called them again, and they told me that I wasn't on the EVDO version of the blackberry plan, updated my plan accordingly. Updated PRL using *228 / *22899, rebooted, and voila - 1XEV.

I was still worried that they were going to bill me a crap load for tethering and spoke to somebody that knew the billing and data calculations, and updated my bb plan to the value bundles with voice and unlimited bb data with the $15/month tethering charge. Again, this was through the *611, not the toll free number. All of the CSR I dealt with were the regular ones, no need to go higher.

Just to let you know how it works with voice and data. Voice calls come through while on the tether, even in middle of data transfer. You can make outgoing cals while on the tether, but the data connection drops until you hang up the call. You will also send and receive text messages. Data rates on this are quick. In San Fran downtown, I was downloading via SFTP from my server at 110 KB/s (not Kb/s - the stats told me in VZAccess 1.25 Mb/s). You will not receive emails on the blackberry until the data session is over. Websites on the blackberry do download faster than before (www.google.com).

One thing that the CSR told me which was interesting was that there is a new place for $60/month plan for unlimited calling within a EVDO area to other numbers within the EVDO area. All other numbers and roaming outside the broadband area would cost $.25/min charge for voice calls. This really didn't make sense to me and kept on asking him all sorts of questions and I still wasn't sure as to how it works. If somebody has more information regarding this plan, please let me know how it works.

Marky: Your directions are great. I would change them for personal accounts so that they call *611 instead of the technical support number.
Closed Thread