BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:34 AM   #1
madinga

Model: 8700
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Too Bold (big) to upgrade from Curve?

Please Login to Remove!

Just went down to the shops and had a look at some of those plastic mockups, which are annoyingly unlike the real thing, I know. AND they're stuck to the end of a security wire, so difficult to play with.

But I came away thinking that the handset was just too... damn... big. Compared to my Curve (fits in my pocket easily and forgettably), I just don't have the giant hands that would make this size of handset comfortable.

In fact, it seemed so slab-like that it would actually make it look like I had downgraded, not up...

Any thoughts from people who have upgraded from a Curve?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #2
culture
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Robbers

I upgraded from the curve, and while its too big for me to use with the case it comes with, I slip it in my pocket bare and i dont mind it at all. Its roughly the same size as a curve in the pocket they give you. I wouldnt want to go back to the curve.

I will however be getting the Javelin as soon as possible to stop the annoying issues ive been having of not receiving calls, dropped calls and not receiving SMS. Also the 3.2MP camera is a selling point!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

I used a Curve before and after using the Bold for the last week or two, I am not looking back. What a great keyboard this device has and the screen is to kill for! The screen is very black and not grey like the curve so the display really pops out at you. I used a Curve and 8820 which is near the same size as the Bold.

I can see a person who used a Pearl being freaked out over the Bold's size but a Curve is not that much smaller than the Bold. I have to deal with alot of email and the keyboard is as important as it being a good phone. Speaking of the phone, the voice quality is way better than my Curve and the external speaker is an upgrade for sure!

Last edited by greggebhardt; 09-11-2008 at 06:55 AM..
Old 09-11-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
madinga

You guys are doing a good job of pursuading me to part with my hard-earned... do you find the 3G data speed a big bonus, by the way?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
djransom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
I used a Curve before and after using the Bold for the last week or two, I am not looking back. What a great keyboard this device has and the screen is to kill for! The screen is very black and not grey like the curve so the display really pops out at you. I used a Curve and 8820 which is near the same size as the Bold.

I can see a person who used a Pearl being freaked out over the Bold's size but a Curve is not that much smaller than the Bold. I have to deal with alot of email and the keyboard is as important as it being a good phone. Speaking of the phone, the voice quality is way better than my Curve and the external speaker is an upgrade for sure!
Good info Greg. I'm looking forward to AT&T finally releasing this next monh.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by djransom View Post
Good info Greg. I'm looking forward to AT&T finally releasing this next monh.
You mean when they release it on XXXXday, XXXXXXber, XX, 200X ?

I am a huge fan of my Curve, and really never thought I would upgrade from it. A friend of mine ponied up for a Canadian Bold, which gave me a chance to go hands on for a few hours. I agree with everything Greg has said, and add that the speed and smoothness of things on the phone is amazing.

I have no doubt I will upgrade the first chance I get, and I doubt I will have any regret in doing so.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

I am elidgible for an upgrade next month and I am really torn on this. I love the Curve- the fact that I can drop it in my pocket and not notice it is HUGE to me. I never want a belt holder again! This combined with the fact that it is still a full qwerty keyboard while being that small make it the best pda I have ever owned. My wife even wants one now since she sees how small it is plus the BB beniefits of e-mail etc.

I will have to touch and feel the Bold to see if it is worth the switch. To me, the size is more important than the upgrade to 3G and the other benefits of the Bold. Why can't it be the same size as the Javelin?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
dr_jared88
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

To be honest, I don't notice a difference between the curve and the bold. I do everything with the bold as I use to with my curve. I use the holster it comes with for work and after hours I use a nice forte slip case (thanks to BB Forums!) and feels the same to me as the curve in my pocket.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
jonsam
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: BOLD

I upgraded from the curve. I love the Bold. Screen is so much better as is keyboard and internet. It is indeed bigger than the curve and I do not use the holster anymore as was too bulky. I keep it in my pocket and its great.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
torberry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
Carrier: Pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by madinga View Post
Just went down to the shops and had a look at some of those plastic mockups, which are annoyingly unlike the real thing, I know. AND they're stuck to the end of a security wire, so difficult to play with.

But I came away thinking that the handset was just too... damn... big. Compared to my Curve (fits in my pocket easily and forgettably), I just don't have the giant hands that would make this size of handset comfortable.

In fact, it seemed so slab-like that it would actually make it look like I had downgraded, not up...

Any thoughts from people who have upgraded from a Curve?
Mad,

Wait for the Javelin. I've seen it first hand and it is the device that you are looking for. I'm told by a RIM employee that it should be out in Canada in November. The only drawback is no 3G but as I and others have commented, 3G on the BOLD on Rogers is not a significant improvement.

I will definitely be selling/trading my BOLD for a Jav when it is released for the exact form factor issues that you've addressed.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
madinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by torberry View Post
Mad,

Wait for the Javelin.
I might just do that - the Bold is GBP430 (about 750 US dollars) so it's a pretty heavy investment for something so big I could eat my dinner off it!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #12
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by torberry View Post
Mad,

Wait for the Javelin. I've seen it first hand and it is the device that you are looking for. I'm told by a RIM employee that it should be out in Canada in November. The only drawback is no 3G but as I and others have commented, 3G on the BOLD on Rogers is not a significant improvement.

I will definitely be selling/trading my BOLD for a Jav when it is released for the exact form factor issues that you've addressed.
The Javelin is going to be T-Mobile, right? I am with ATT and might consider Verizon but nobody else.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #13
santo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

After owning the Bold since launch day, is it just me or does the Curve seem too small now?

Santo

Last edited by santo; 09-11-2008 at 04:30 PM..
Old 09-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #14
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

I still have my old Curve sitting around and it doesn't seem too small. But, I definitely don't mind the slight increase in size. The 8800 definitely felt like a big brick pancake but the Bold feels better in my hand. I think the rounded corners make all the difference.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #15
akc786

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Mobilink

Wirelessly posted

I upgraded from Curve as well.

But after using Bold, no looking back.

It's the best BB I have ever used.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:34 AM   #16
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

I do not think many will be able to hold and use the Bold for over a few minutes without falling in love with it. I love the iPhone and even strayed to the dark side for a weekend, before whimpering back to my Blackberry. The Bold is like having my cake and being able to eat it, too! It has the best keyboard since my 7520 Nextel Blackberry and I do not say that lightly.

Worrying about the slightly larger size of the Bold in comparison to the Curve will melt away rather quickly upon use. Now if you were going from a Pearl to a Bold I could see some concern but I think the slick features of the Bold will still win most!

The 3G Bold was HUGE leap in comparison to past RIM devices for me.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #17
madinga

Smile

Well, I dunno whether I love you guys or hate you - just ran out and got myself a shiny new BOLD!! yeah, i was probably only kidding myself that I could resist a new toy, never have been able to, and never will.

Will post some thoughts on it after initial charge some use later today, if anyone's interested!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #18
estabulla

Quote:
I do not think many will be able to hold and use the Bold for over a few minutes without falling in love with it. I love the iPhone and even strayed to the dark side for a weekend, before whimpering back to my Blackberry. The Bold is like having my cake and being able to eat it, too! It has the best keyboard since my 7520 Nextel Blackberry and I do not say that lightly.

Worrying about the slightly larger size of the Bold in comparison to the Curve will melt away rather quickly upon use. Now if you were going from a Pearl to a Bold I could see some concern but I think the slick features of the Bold will still win most!

Hi Gregg - not to make this a iPhone vs. Bold thread but what specific aspects of the iPhone did you not like? Did you try Activesync on it?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #19
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

Greg,
How did you carry your Curve and how do you carry your Bold? I only put my Curve in my pocket to carry it-with a screen protector as the only accessory.

In your opinion- throwing out the benefits of one device over the other- is the size an issue if I carry it in my pocket?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #20
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madinga View Post
Well, I dunno whether I love you guys or hate you - just ran out and got myself a shiny new BOLD!! yeah, i was probably only kidding myself that I could resist a new toy, never have been able to, and never will.

Will post some thoughts on it after initial charge some use later today, if anyone's interested!
There is no lack of interests in how you like you Bold. Please let us all know what you think!
Closed Thread