Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default iOS 6

Please Login to Remove!

I signed up for a dev account just so I could use the betas legally, and I have to say I'm impressed. My favourite feature thus far is the "Do not Disturb" function. This could always be had in cooked Android ROMs, but it's nice to have it built in. I have it set to stop alerting me at 2200 and start again at 0700. The only thing I still find annoying really is the lack of ability to separate the alarm volume from all other sounds.

Thankfully, in beta 2 they have fixed the Maps app so it doesn't crash when you try to search for something.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: iOS 6

I'm eager for the official release of iOS6. Do Not Disturb is intriguing. Nokia is working on something I'd also love to see make it to a future version of iOS. It's a muting feature triggered by simply turning the phone from face up to face down.

Walk into a meeting and set your iPhone on the table. When the meeting starts you simply turn the iPhone face down. Elegant. If Do Not Disturb could be activated in this manner it would be pretty cool.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I'm eager for the official release of iOS6. Do Not Disturb is intriguing. Nokia is working on something I'd also love to see make it to a future version of iOS. It's a muting feature triggered by simply turning the phone from face up to face down.

Walk into a meeting and set your iPhone on the table. When the meeting starts you simply turn the iPhone face down. Elegant. If Do Not Disturb could be activated in this manner it would be pretty cool.
HTC has had that for some time in their Android phones, but it isn't all encompassing like what you're talking about. It was just to mute a phone call. That was nice, but an all encompassing mute triggered by flipping over would be awesome. I guess it would have access to the gyroscope to ensure that it wouldn't activate in pocket.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Well, on Beta 3, things seem to be fairly stable, and it's definitely suitable for daily use. I even tested out the navigation yesterday on my drive from Vegas to Ft. Mohave, and it worked great. It even kept running through the areas of the mountains with no service (indicating to me that it downloads the whole route in advance). The only thing I wish is that it would zoom out a little further.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Beta 4 has brought an awesome new feature to iMessage that I've been craving since they first started doing iMessage on the iPad; which is that messages sent to my phone number will now appear on my iPad whereas previously it would only show iMessages sent to my e-mail address. Now, if Apple can get that integrated into the Messages app in Mountain Lion, it will truly be integrated.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

The latest update for the Nokia Lumia 900 just brought "Flip to Silence" to the phone. It's elegant. Plus I really love the Lumia 900 design. I just wish it ran iOS!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

I can't wait to try out iOS 6. I would also like to give windows phone a go.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
The latest update for the Nokia Lumia 900 just brought "Flip to Silence" to the phone. It's elegant. Plus I really love the Lumia 900 design. I just wish it ran iOS!
Yeah, I love that phone's design too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
I can't wait to try out iOS 6. I would also like to give windows phone a go.
It's a very mature OS at this point, and even with 6 in beta, it's still very good. The only bug I've found in beta 4 is that sometimes my text message ringtone changes on its own.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Heck I can deal ith that lol.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:

How is Do Not Disturb different from Bedside Mode on BlackBerry, which has been around since the 9000?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
How is Do Not Disturb different from Bedside Mode on BlackBerry, which has been around since the 9000?
It's more comprehensive. Allowing calls from certain numbers or repeated calls from the same number. The other thing is that the phone does absolutely nothing in this mode. The screen doesn't even light up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	19733  
Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
daphne

Bedside Mode can be enabled with a custom profile set to allow callls from certain contacts also and it can be set to turn off radio, disable LED, put on silent. It kills me how people rave over a new feature from Apple that's almost identical to and been already available in BlackBerry and other devices. I read an article on Huffington Post raving about Do Not Disturb like it was the best invention ever since the wheel.

Last edited by daphne; 08-23-2012 at 12:24 PM..
Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Bedside Mode can be enabled with a custom profile set to allow callls from certain contacts also and it can be set to turn off radio, disable LED, put on silent. It kills me how people rave over a new feature from Apple that's almost identical to and been already available in BlackBerry and other devices. I read an article on Huffington Post raving about Do Not Disturb like it was the best invention ever since the wheel.
I don't remember all of those options in bedside mode on my 9900. I know I could put it on silent and turn off the LED, which I always did. The other thing I remember was that it had to be plugged into a charger for bedside mode. DND comes on regardless of charger status.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
daphne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
I don't remember all of those options in bedside mode on my 9900. I know I could put it on silent and turn off the LED, which I always did. The other thing I remember was that it had to be plugged into a charger for bedside mode. DND comes on regardless of charger status.
No, it does not have to be on charger to go into bedside mode. All the options are there even if you did't notice them. Possibly some are new with 7.1, I'm not sure.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
No, it does not have to be on charger to go into bedside mode. All the options are there even if you did't notice them. Possibly some are new with 7.1, I'm not sure.
I guess I did... I only used a 7.1 BB for about 2 months.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #16
TechKnowBabble
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
AGREED....for my work device I have moved to an iphone and it's definitely not all people rave about. I HATE the keyboard, hate how the 'desktop' isn't very customizable, etc. No disrespect meant but I think it's just a 'herd' mentality.
Closed Thread