Old 02-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telus
Default New Exchange Server(s)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

We just installed a new exchange server. Actually, it's a two server cluster. Testing, in a non BES capacity has gone well, with no issue. I checked mapi32.dll and cdo.dll on the new servers and they are at version 6.5.7654.12. The old exchange server and the BES have those files at version 6.5.7638.1.

Once we are ready to start moving BES user mailboxes over to the new servers do I just need to copy the two newer files and replace them on the BES? Figuring that is a yes, am I right that I have to move all the BES mailboxes at the same time as I won't be able to host mailboxes on Exchange servers with different files version than that of the BES. Would I be better off taking the new files and adding to the the BES and current Exchange server so I can have BES users on the old and new exchange servers and then move them slowly?

Thanks

Last edited by totalstu; 02-13-2009 at 02:59 PM..
Old 02-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

you have the latest patch that was released a few days ago on it.

MS09-003xxx58; Description of the security update for Exchange 2000 Server SP3 and Exchange Server 2003 SP2

So it might work, but I think you may want both to be at same patch level.

RIM has no KB yet on it, but are testing it.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

cdo.ddl can be copied and registered but mapi32.dll cannot. MAPI is a system on it's own, there is more to i then just mapi32.dll. You need to apply the update to your BES as you did Exchange, that should update both mapi32.dll and cdo.dll.

Don't forget to set permissions on the new Exchange server as well. If you're permissions are not correct then the users will not work until you fix permissions.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Interesting. I guess that leaves me a couple of optons.

1. Leave the BES users on the old exchange server and give some time to see if other people here report bad findings with the new update or report that all is well.

2. Update both the old exchange server and the BES so that they both get the exchange KB959897 update which then puts the mapi32 and cdo dll's at the same version as the new exchange servers

I think we'll go with the first choice and just migrate the non BES users first. That will be sometime anyway as I just found out we're not ready to move non test users as our new backup solution is not yet configured to backup exchange.

I was worried about permissions but it appears when we joined the domain the settings from the old server replicated themselves to the new.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

You could move one BES user over for testing or make a test account.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

There is another thread with more details on the update but I have got all my Exch boxes patched with the new CDO.dll and my BESs still have the old one (per RIM), and I see no issues.

The things which usually break when CDOs are mismatched test out fine for me so you should have no issues moving users, but you should not apply the CDO patch to your BES yet.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

So I ran a test with the mismatched files on the exchange and bes server. I created a test user and put their mailbox on the new, completely updated, exchange server. I added the user to the BES. When I try to assign the user the device I get an error message. "The user is not yet known to the Blackberry Agent". I'm not yet sure if the issue is related to the mismatched files or some permission.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalstu View Post
So I ran a test with the mismatched files on the exchange and bes server. I created a test user and put their mailbox on the new, completely updated, exchange server. I added the user to the BES. When I try to assign the user the device I get an error message. "The user is not yet known to the Blackberry Agent". I'm not yet sure if the issue is related to the mismatched files or some permission.
Did you wait long enough after creating the user for replication to occur? Sounds like the BES just can't see them yet. Like I say my files are mismatched and all is fine. I don't think anyone has applied the patch to their BES yet but that other thread has more info.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

It's been like 2+ hours since adding the user to the BES and I still get the same message. Once I get back from lunch I will look at permissions on the new exchange server.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, it was a permissions thing. While the inherited settings copied themselves over, send as, receive as, and administer information store permissions did not. I added those to the besadmin account in the security tab of the server in the system manager and all is well for sending and receiving. I guess I don't have to worry about updating our BES server for a while. I think I'll wait until BES 5.0 and then create a whole new server on better hardware.

One last question. Does the BES use AD to know which server a particular user is on? Our concern is when we turn off the old exchange server the BES knows what to do and where to go. After some reading BlackBerry Application Error it seems my only concern is when I move the besadmin mailbox. Just follow the steps onlined in the link and I should be good. Correct?

Thanks

Last edited by totalstu; 02-17-2009 at 02:12 PM..
Old 02-18-2009, 05:57 AM   #11
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

I haven't looked at the link but yeah when you move a standard user you just wait for replication and all is good. You can kick the BES into looking again now but it always picks up my mailbox moves within an hour. The BES doesn't care about an Exchange server as such, it just cares about the mbx on that server in relation to a BES user. Once the BES doesn't have any users which are on the old Exch box, it won't be doing anything on that Exch box so won't care if you burn it .
Closed Thread