BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 02:33 AM   #1
ThomasWillNot

Model: KEY 1
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default BlackBerry Web Browser Certificate Rejection and Denial of Service!

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone!

I noticed a few days ago that Facebook created a new mobile site which is static but very fast and it seems perfectly optimized for the BlackBerry! I say that because it uses a traditional design with links that really require a cursor to click on (it's pretty dense and not designed for touch-screen navigation at all!) I have been using it on my BlackBerry Classic and it's great! (much better than the KEYone, though there is the Android app which works on that phone)

It's so great that it works almost as well as these BlackBerry Forums here in Internet Explorer 8 (except for reactions which don't function for some reason), which now automatically redirects to this "mobile" site (at m.facebook.com).

I was wondering if I could get it working on my BlackBerry Bold 9900 (and maybe even my old Curve 8530!) as I think it would be a great experience xxx8212; it's shockingly well optimized for these kinds of phones!

I can get to the login screen, but my problem is that I cannot get beyond that. There will always be some kind of denial of service message.
The problem appears to be that like most Web sites these days (with this forum being a rare exception now) the servers will deny you access unless you have a TLS cipher they consider up to their standards and will refuse service over good old HTTP. I don't know why this is considering that "insecure" sites seemed to work fine for the past 20-some years on the Web but that's what's happening.

The security certificate on my Bold is registered for all kinds of Facebook domains, except for "fbcdn" (the Facebook content delivery network) which is one of their core domains for site functionality. Does anyone know why this domain isn't included in the certificate authorization? Does anyone know how to authorize it or bypass this whole denial of service problem?

Just FYI, I am connecting through Wi-Fi without any mobile service provider and it doesn't seem like I can add server exceptions in the settings.

Any help with this is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Thomas

Edit: it seems like this Website is partially delivered over HTTPS, but thankfully it won't deny me service if I just remove the S!

Last edited by ThomasWillNot; 04-22-2018 at 02:45 AM..
Old 04-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: BlackBerry Web Browser Certificate Rejection and Denial of Service!

Ok so from what I have found it seems like FB is using data from users and doing a lot of tracking even when your not logged on to their sites. They are using places you go to for their marketing sales and have even found ways to open your information using the developers tools in most browsers. If you saw the latest statements from FB on user security and privacy it becomes easy to understand why your having problems with older browsers. FB was nailed because of user privacy and made changes to their software at least what they want people to think they did but it looks like just surface stuff. When people realize they still need information and the site is free it does not take much to realize collecting is still going on. The older browsers are not as easy to manipulate so they cannot use them so they simply block them. JavaScript was intended for developer use. Take a guess why sites tell you it needs updating. Yep, to collect information.

So bottom line is if you don't mind being tracked by FB when your computer is on and even not logged into FB then try to do an update if one exists.

The HTTPS is a higher level of security and is used to encrypt your information. Using HTTPS, the computers agree on a "code" between them, and then they scramble the messages using that "code" so that no one in between can read them. This keeps your information safe from hackers...maybe

Also manufacturers obsolete older phones to sell the new products and generally do not offer OS updates

Last edited by tsac; 04-22-2018 at 10:49 AM..
Closed Thread