Old 08-01-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
michaelgnm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: smart
Default internet usage with 9700

Please Login to Remove!

i have wifi at home. I am trying to learn the use of internet using the blackberry. I noticed, that unlike other nokia phones i used in the past,before entering an internet connection, a nokia phone would prompt me and as if i would like to connect to the internet through a wifi network or thought 3G (which means connecting to the internet through the mobile line service provider.)

if i connect via wifi, obviously i will not encounter any extra fees. if i connect through the service provider, i will be charged a certain fee.

Question, since the blackberry does not prompt me just like my past nokia phones, how will i know that i am using wifi or the service provider to connect to the internet? is there any way wherein i try to connect to the internet and i make the blackberry device prompt me first as to wether i can choose a wifi connection or the mobile service connection?

if iam abroad, since data charges will come out expensive if i do not use wifi, how do i turn off the 'auto connection' of the mobile service provider to avoind incurring extra expense?

last question, if for example i connect to the internet through the mobile service provider, charges will only start once i log into the internet, or once i click browser icon right? coz again comparing this to the nokia, if an E (ethernet) sign comes outin the ohone, whether you are surfing the net or not, internet service is already being charged because the 'E" stands for a connection has already been established with the phone and the net... since the blackberry does not have this, i assume that the user is only charged once the 'browser' icon is clicked on... right?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

1. in the browser, at the top it shows wi-fi or 3G, if you do not see this, press U to toggle the top bar.
Whatever it says at the top means its using that.

You could also set default browser (options - advanced - browser - the top option) to HOTSPOT BROWSER, as this will only ever use wi-fi.

And no, there's no way to get it to prompt you.

2. It isn't straight forward, as you could turn off data servicer (mobile network - data services : OFF WHEN ROAMING) however, as wi-fi is a data service, it will also stop wi-fi.

The workaround is to turn off data services until you want to use it.
Turn on data services, but UNCHECK the mobile network box (manage connections).
This allows you to use wi-fi with no unintended charges, but obviously you can't get calls or texts while doing so.

3. Yes and no. The EDGE for example shows you have a access to that data connection.
If you are using push email, that is a background process so if data services are on, it will connect whenever and try to push email to you. This is chargable to your data allowance.
If you are not using the browser, or an app that uses data, and its just sitting there; it won't be using your data allowance. (cept when its checking for email)

As a note, blackberry is currently (i believe) the best for internet data as it goes through their servers, it compresses like no other smartphone, so data usge for the push email may be 1 or 2KB's each time, and browsing for an hour say, may (depending on the site of course) be a few MB's only.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
lmcjipo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Bell Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
2. It isn't straight forward, as you could turn off data servicer (mobile network - data services : OFF WHEN ROAMING) however, as wi-fi is a data service, it will also stop wi-fi.
Are you sure about this?

To my knowledge, setting the option to not use data when roaming has absolutely NO EFFECT on using Wi-Fi. It is only meant to reduce the roaming (roaming charges) that you will incur and Wi-Fi does not incur any roaming fees.

My Tech Blog
Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

I believe so, as turning it to OFF will stop wi-fi, and as the phone knows its roaming, would stop data services when roaming.
As wi-fi is a data service, it would stop it.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
mick_n3

Model: 9700
Carrier: vodafone uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
I believe so, as turning it to OFF will stop wi-fi, and as the phone knows its roaming, would stop data services when roaming.
As wi-fi is a data service, it would stop it.
It will still conect to wifi for eamils and browser, I have my data turned off when roaming on a recent trip to Spain I was stil able to pick up emails etc via wifi
Old 08-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
matkeri

Model: P990i
Carrier: Maxis

If you 'off data while roaming', all internet connection will utilise WiFi (browser, email, bbmsgr, twitter, facebook etc).

I'm a frequent traveller and always 'off data while roaming', but still can get connected to BIS or BES using WiFi (with 0 data roaming fee).

But if you 'off data' only, your data wont get connected at all.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:52 AM   #7
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

alright, thanks for the corrections.

Closed Thread