Old 09-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
shade_v2

Model: 7100T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default 2 PUSH Mailboxes, 1 Berry

Please Login to Remove!

So, here's the scenario:

Client has two email addresses under two different domains. (Which he owns.) He wants both of them to PUSH to his BB instantly. (Seriously: No time for IMAP IDLE even.)

For the sake of getting the simplest solution I'm going to start by leaving out the details of how he's currently setup and simply give you his requirements:

1.) Instant! receipt of email from both addresses to Blackberry and Macintosh Entourage.
2.) When replying or sending, all 'Outgoing/Sent From' fields must show the correct address and domain. (aka. The one it came in on, or whichever he chooses.)
3.) The emails don't need to land in separate inboxes, but they must be distinguishable/sortable by which address they were originally sent to.
4.) Sent mail must be recorded and stored along with all the other mail.

-

It certainly doesn't sound complex but it gets quite sticky when you try to put it into action. You can only have one BES mailbox after all.

It's been suggested to me that we might have both addresses routed to a single Exchange account with BES. The BES account would be configured using one of the client's addresses so one mailbox would send and receive natively. For the other we would have to setup SMTP through a different server. Then, in order to get the Sent messages back over to the Exchange account, they would have to be CC'd to himself with a rule in place to mark them as read and put them in the Sent bin. -panting from exasperation-

Again, it sounds like it makes sense, but there seem to be a lot of potential pitfalls. Will the right address show up in all the right places? Can I auto CC just the one SMTP account on the BB. Can the rule shunting Sent Mail be configured at the server level, so that he doesn't have to go home and open Entourage just to clear his own messages out of his inbox?

Well... Comments, solutions, Advil?
Old 09-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Not going to get instant push using BIS. Doesn't work that way. Yahoo has a deal with RIM to get it in near real time but that doesn't get him the ability to use the domain return addresses outbound.

Your client needs to read up on how the BB works. Sounds like he either bought the wrong device, needs to go to something else or rethinks the need for instant email access. And I don't know where he will get near real time.

And for the life of me, I can't understand why people think they need their email at the speed of heat. I run 2 companies and have never had the need to be THAT connected.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
jmwking
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Is he wedded to his infrastructure? I use Google apps for my domain's email and I also have a separate gmail account. I get near instant delivery of messages from both to my BB, sometimes even faster than on my computer.

-jk
Old 09-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

GMail did recently upgrade services for better integration of their mail via BlackBerry, and its very nearly instant push, if not actually instant push. All this happens over BIS, so one exchange account and one BIS account hosted by Google might be the ticket.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
shade_v2

Model: 7100T
Carrier: AT&T

One of the client's mailboxes is actually hosted by Yahoo Small Business and is presently configured, through AT&T's web interface, for his Berry. This is the account he wants me to make faster.

I recently put him onto a BES through ExchangeMyMail for his other address, and he's basically asking me to do the same for the Yahoo box.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Also have him read the SMTP RFCs. No email delivery is going to be instant. Having said that I have 5 addresses on BIS (all support IMAP IDLE) and one on BES. The Blackberry always gets the email before any othe MUA. If you want Email at the speed of heat, BES is the answer. But you really need to take a look at the average transit speed through the rest of the mail delivery system.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

He's being unreasonable. He needs to understand the practical limits of the technology
Old 09-18-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
Chris K
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
Carrier: vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwking View Post
Is he wedded to his infrastructure? I use Google apps for my domain's email and I also have a separate gmail account. I get near instant delivery of messages from both to my BB, sometimes even faster than on my computer.
I have synced outlook account and 2 std hotmail accounts and in *all* cases without exception email lands on my BB before my PC - Always

all email (and sms messages) come to one inbox
i have colour coded the accounts (albeit you have to open the msg to see it)
i have shortcut filter for separating accounts (alt w & p for work and play :o) ), usually to do a mass delete
+ seperate 'ding' so I know which account has received new mail

Last edited by Chris K; 09-18-2010 at 12:56 AM..
Closed Thread