BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
boxerdog1999

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone
Angry 8100 Power Station - Totally Over Engineered!!

Please Login to Remove!

After weeks of waiting, I've finally received my first delivery of the Power Station for the 8100. I have never seen anything so over-engineered in my life! Let's start with the BIGGEST disappointment - No integral sync cable connection! Surely this is the main reason you'd buy this type of accessory? Secondly, what is the point of hard wiring a mains charger into the Power Station? Why not fit a mini usb port and allow the use of the charger that comes with the 8100? If I do decide to stand my 8100 in the cradle and then plug in a separate USB cable, it charges anyway!!!

Am I completely missing the point or did someone at RIM have far too much time on their hands?!

Boxerdog1999
Old 03-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

hmmmm it sounds like it but that isn't typical of RIM maybe they have future plans?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
No Longer Registered.

Isn't it smart though to read the features of an accessory (especially if it is expensive such as this) before purchasing? It did state that you need a mini USB to sync into your PC. And probably the reason why there is no "integral sync cable" connection, is because it gives you the ability to choose when to sync and not to sync everytime you connect your Pearl into the station?

The name of the accessory is indeed "Power" Station and not Docking Station. So it is more on the "charging" purposes and not in the syncing -- but gives you that option to using the mini USB.

Just my 2 cents *shrugs*

Old 03-15-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
stevec_ny
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

Honestly, I would've like to see syncing capability added as well, but overall I'm satisfied with it. Some observations:

1. It has a USB A port next to the hardwired AC wire. If you had an A to A cable, you can charge via USB instead (but at a painfully slow rate).

2. The external battery charger is designed to charge RIM's C-series batteries, so I assume it will work with the new 8300/8800 series batteries as well. The 8700 series 2400mAh battery from Seidio fits & charges fine in it.

3. The front charging cradle piece is removable, so all they need to do is swap in a larger holder for the 8300/8800 models to be compatible with the power station.

4. The charging hole for the HS-655 will work with the Plantronics 640/645/655 series if you have the Mini-USB adaptor for it. I'm charging my 640 in it now.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:30 AM   #5
boxerdog1999

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesecatt
Isn't it smart though to read the features of an accessory (especially if it is expensive such as this) before purchasing? It did state that you need a mini USB to sync into your PC. And probably the reason why there is no "integral sync cable" connection, is because it gives you the ability to choose when to sync and not to sync everytime you connect your Pearl into the station?

The name of the accessory is indeed "Power" Station and not Docking Station. So it is more on the "charging" purposes and not in the syncing -- but gives you that option to using the mini USB.

Just my 2 cents *shrugs*
It may state (not sure where) that you need a mini USB to sync it, but even so, one might assume that this would plug into the the Power Station somewhere.

My bottom line is that I feel RIM have missed a trick here and could easily have made a good product into a great product. Surely everyone would prefer to just drop the 8100 into the cradle and know it's charging and ready to sync.

Boxerdog1999
Closed Thread