Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 09:45 PM   #1
RxistKJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Default I'm new and having trouble sending e-mail from my handheld

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

Whenever I send an e-mail from my 7230, an e-mail shows up in Microsoft Outlook saying do not discard or move this e-mail as it is used to deliver my original e-mail and will be processed by the BB server. However, in my Outlook, those e-mails stay there and are not processed or removed, and my original e-mail is received by the intended receipient.

My company does not have any Blackberry software and I am the first employee to use it, and use EXCHANGE. Currently, my IT administrator has established a duplicage e-mail that is delivered directly to my 7230 in addition to the original e-mail delivered to my Outlook Inbox.

Can somebody please help and forgive my ignorance? What is going on with my e-mails and why aren't they being delivered when sent from unit? Thanks so much in advance.

KJ
Old 09-30-2004, 09:48 PM   #2
RxistKJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Correction for original post--having trouble sending email

Just a correction--when I send the email from my 7230, the recipient NEVER receives the e-mail (I said they did) and the BB processing email sits in my Outlook inbox.

Sorry for any confusion--Thanks again!

KJ
Old 09-30-2004, 11:34 PM   #3
emale
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Just a question, when you open BlackBerry Desktop Manager, do you see a Redirector Settings icon?

If you do, click on Start.. Programs.. RIM.. Desktop redirector.

Do the messages dissapear now?

You need to run the desktop redirector and Outlook at all times to receive and send email on the BB if you have an Exchange mailbox and no BES.

If you dont see the desktop redirector icon in Desktop Manager,

you need to reinstall it and select Micrsoft Exchange---> Desktop redirector for email settings during installation.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
RxistKJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK--Thank you--I will try that. So essentially, my laptop and redirector have to be connected at all times to my Exchange server to both send and receive e-mails? Is there any way to be able to send email from my 7230 while the redirector is turned off or my Exchange is not connected?

Thank you again for the advice.

Best regards,

KJ
Old 09-30-2004, 11:45 PM   #5
RxistKJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sorry, but one other question that pertains to my prior question...I am a frequent traveler who needs to be able to receive and, more importantly, send email from my 7230. Does this basically mean it is worthless to install redirector on my company laptop that travels with me?

Thanks for your patience and tolerating my slow self!
Old 10-01-2004, 12:23 AM   #6
TonyJ
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Sounds like you need BES (Blackbery Enterprise Server) Otherwise you'll have to have the redirector running somewhere full-time while it's connected to the exchange server. If you do not have a desktop at your office, this could be a problem.

Another possibility, though not near as elegant is to have the exchange server forward mail to a BWC (Blackberry Web Client) email address. You could do this with server-side rules. The downside is when you reply you will be using the BWC email address and not your own corprate address.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:33 AM   #7
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

">>The downside is when you reply you will be using the BWC email address and not your own corprate address."

Some BWC servers will allow you to have a replacement "From:", so you can masquerade as your business' email address.

However, you can only set one email address; and it's not changeable without logging back onto the BWC website.

For the various methods of sending emails from a BlackBerry, see the "5 Methods" part of the BlackBerry FAQ, in case you haven't discovered it by now :D
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-04-2004, 05:15 PM   #8
dshearon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

two options that you have

you can setup a really crappy computer thatis not being used anymore and have it run the redirector so you can take your laptop with you (this will be dependent on the IT department and thier willingness to do so)

If you are the only one at the moment you may want to look into the small business edition of BES it is a lot cheaper than the full thing.

My company used the old computer method until i was able to talk my it managers into letting my buy BES.
Closed Thread