Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
dietcokefiend
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile
Default Blackberry trackball cleaning methods

Please Login to Remove!

Had my new blackberry for a few days now, and decided to see what made the trackball "click" so to speak. The trackball assembly comes out in one whole piece, so one thing that came to mind was putting it in a little container of rubbing alcohol, and giving it a bit of a shake. Wouldnt run the risk of losing the rollers in the cleaning process, and should make for a much faster process. It took me about 30 seconds to light pick each of the 3 pieces out with the tip of my fingernail, so if this was a weekly thing to keep everything working well, it would take less time than brushing your teeth.

To go along with that, since the trackball is a whole assembly, can you just buy a new 3 dollar part every few months if it gets too grimed up? Does anyone sell this?
Old 01-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcokefiend
Had my new blackberry for a few days now, and decided to see what made the trackball "click" so to speak. The trackball assembly comes out in one whole piece, so one thing that came to mind was putting it in a little container of rubbing alcohol, and giving it a bit of a shake. Wouldnt run the risk of losing the rollers in the cleaning process, and should make for a much faster process. It took me about 30 seconds to light pick each of the 3 pieces out with the tip of my fingernail, so if this was a weekly thing to keep everything working well, it would take less time than brushing your teeth.

To go along with that, since the trackball is a whole assembly, can you just buy a new 3 dollar part every few months if it gets too grimed up? Does anyone sell this?
I havent seen anyone selling the "Pearl" yet, but i am sure it will be out soon enough. Especially because the 8100 and the 8800 will end up using it.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
97Brabus

So how exactly do you remove the trackball contraption? If possible, perhaps you could also include instructions. Mine is about a month old and doesn't want to scroll down anymore. sounds and feels as if there is a chunk of dirt or something in there. Please advise how I can remove it without breaking. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
97Brabus

Nevermind, I did a search and found some instructions....
Old 02-07-2007, 06:05 AM   #5
krsdj1

Carrier: tmobile
Default Trackball problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Brabus
Nevermind, I did a search and found some instructions....
I had an issue with my trackball were it would move in one direction only.I called t-mobile and they wanted to replace the unit.On my own without the supervision of t-mobile i took the trackball out and just wiped the rollers with a clean q-tip and i put the tracball back in and it worked fine again.T-mobile said the trackball is a sealed unit.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
BB4Life
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsdj1
I had an issue with my trackball were it would move in one direction only.I called t-mobile and they wanted to replace the unit.On my own without the supervision of t-mobile i took the trackball out and just wiped the rollers with a clean q-tip and i put the tracball back in and it worked fine again.T-mobile said the trackball is a sealed unit.
What you could also do if this happens is press down the trackball hard and keep rolling it. There might have been some kind of dirt underneath it and this will help resolve the issue.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
jaredtencom

I had to take my trackball out of my pearl and clean it to get it to work again. It wouldn't scroll down anymore. I tried all the regular stuff like compressed air, pushing the ball down while moving the ball around and nothing seemed to work.

I just popped out the trackball (remove silver ring first, then retaining clip) and the track ball comes out in one piece. I took pictures of my operation and I was surprised to see what my problem was.

flickr (dot) com/photos/jaredten/sets/72157594508693488/

I will try to write up some directions when I get more time. I just wanted to post these ASAP.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #8
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredtencom
I had to take my trackball out of my pearl and clean it to get it to work again. It wouldn't scroll down anymore. I tried all the regular stuff like compressed air, pushing the ball down while moving the ball around and nothing seemed to work.

I just popped out the trackball (remove silver ring first, then retaining clip) and the track ball comes out in one piece. I took pictures of my operation and I was surprised to see what my problem was.

I will try to write up some directions when I get more time. I just wanted to post these ASAP.
Wow.... those are horrible pics. [pics good, but depictions are nightmarish].

That looks like paper towel lint.

LINK Backberry Pearl - a photoset on Flickr

I'll post some of your pics here:

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 02-07-2007 at 05:55 PM..
Old 02-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
SanFrancisco

How long have you had your phone and did you clean it with paper towels or tissue constantly? Seems like lint build up from constant cleaning.

Hopefully, that's not dirt from your job. If so, change jobs because you don't want your lungs looking like that.

I looked at my trackball, on seeing your pics, and mine looks good after three months use.

Also here is a pic of the little light that illuminates the trackball.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
.moO^.

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

How do you remove the silver ring? Just pop it off?
Old 02-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
blackninja

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Tmo

wow... did you throw the pearl in your dryer lint trap first?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #12
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by .moO^.
How do you remove the silver ring? Just pop it off?
Caution on taking the Pearl apart.

Take note that the metal looking ring is NOT metal. It's fragile plastic with silver paint.

It's very easy to remove the ring. I suggest you mark the front of the ring, where the notch is, so that when putting it back together you can recall how it goes. Use a pin to scratch a little mark just above the notch or use laundry marker to make a small mark at "6 o'clock."

You just put a small eyeglass screwdriver in the hole and gently lift it up. Then go around the ring and apply pressure there so that the ring lifts up as even as possible.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #13
George1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Optus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredtencom
[...] I took pictures of my operation and I was surprised to see what my problem was.

jaredtencom, I go off topic here, but I must tell you that I think those pictures are very nice from a photographic point of view. Well done!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:32 AM   #14
duce95
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmo

and what custom theme was that and where did you find it Frisco??
Old 02-08-2007, 01:10 AM   #15
GQBalla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Bell

how did you guys keep your trackball so clean??? 3 months of use and still so clean..

mines is goin black..... and i do use denatured alcohol....
Old 02-08-2007, 01:42 AM   #16
CableGuy711
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by duce95
and what custom theme was that and where did you find it Frisco??
that appears to be the Iphone theme. there was a link somewhere on here to install it

*edit...here http://www.blackberryforums.com/ring...t=iphone+theme

Last edited by CableGuy711; 02-08-2007 at 01:49 AM..
Old 02-08-2007, 02:47 AM   #17
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQBalla
how did you guys keep your trackball so clean??? 3 months of use and still so clean..

mines is goin black..... and i do use denatured alcohol....
I clean mine with denatured alcohol about three times a week or I use Windex.

Also, I wash my hands about 10X a day. Big cities are germ factories, that is why. So my fingers are always clean.

Lastly, if I have done anything where my fingers are dirty [working on a motorcyle or filling air in my roadbike tires] I make it a point to never touch the trackball. Real easy to get the trackball dirty in those circumstances.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #18
layoub

Model: Perl
Default I love you all!

I took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together. Not only does it work, I can hear the little click sound of the rollers moving again. Yip yip yahooo!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #19
GQBalla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Bell

i want to take mine apart too.

im just wondering how to make the pearl part nice and white again. its kinda darky now...

i want to take it out and leave in bleach for a little bit.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #20
fox220

Question Nothing Is Working!

I took removed my trackball assembly and tried everything to re-whiten my Pearl's pearl. Denatured alcohol, paint thinner, even a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

I think I just need to replace it. Of course, I can't find a replacement part anywhere online. Maybe i could find a ball of similar diameter?

Ideas?
Closed Thread