Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
shumax
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e
Carrier: verizon
Default Newbie question

Please Login to Remove!

I've searched and can't find a complete answer, so I think I'll post and risk the "you didn't search flame."

I'm about to buy a BB 7130e and live in the suburbs of Chicago. I have a Verizon plan now with a regular flip phone and lover their service.

I want the BB for email, but my company will not support it at all. I've approached them with it and they refuse. I read about a redirector from BB that directs my mail from Outlook 2003 off of my laptop. That's fine, but my computer can't stay on as it's a laptop and normally comes with me---i.e., on a trip, it'd be with me and off while in my bag, so I couldn't receive messages if I used this redirector---correct?

What are my options other than a redirecting set of software? The guy at Verizon is saying I can use their servers; however, he's not sure about the firewall settings at my company. Any thoughts on his comments, or ways I can check those settings and give the information to him?

Also, when I reply with my BB HH, I need it to NOT show it's coming from Verizon, or from BB. It needs to show my work address, only.

I'm ready to do this tomorrow morning, so sorry for the short notice. Any help someone can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry for a newbie question.

Shumax
Old 03-04-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
shumax

please? Someone has to have some input. I found Marks Sticky and read it several times.

I'm still worried about being able to reply from the BB and have it show my company email addy. I.E., I don't want anyone knowing I'm using a BB.

How can I do that?!?!
Old 03-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

Please be a little more patient. Sounds like you may not be able to do what you want at all. Some companies don't allow external access to their email servers for security reasons, yours maybe one of them.

Sorry to sound so pesimistic.
Rcbjr
Old 03-04-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Can you forward your email? If so, forward to your bis account and then set your bis account up to use your work address as the reply addy... Of course, if someone looks at the mail headers, the gig is up... But its one way...
Old 03-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
shumax

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomryan
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Can you forward your email? If so, forward to your bis account and then set your bis account up to use your work address as the reply addy... Of course, if someone looks at the mail headers, the gig is up... But its one way...

This is what I just learned I could do. I can forward email to my Yahoo account---just tried. I was going to forward to my BB account and then change the BB account to show my work addy on a reply. What are the "headers" that may get my caught? Is it something that shows up in the text of the reply that's easily seen?

Thanks!!!!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
go2duke
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon

Can you acquire or are you allowed to setup another PC in your office and all it does is redirect mail. Works like a champ and skips all that forwarding weirdness.

-G2D
Old 03-05-2006, 04:44 AM   #7
hbomb341
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumax
I don't want anyone knowing I'm using a BB.
This may be next to imposable. If you have people reading the email you are sending to that are some what intuitive and have seen Blackberry emails, ALOT. I do, and can tell when something comes from a Blackberry for the following reasons:

It is all text; NO HTML sig and RE reformats how the looks (Atless in Lotus Notes)
The text is a diffrant font them their normal (This can be fixed)
Plus the response time of the person increases dramatically, so in short if you wan to hid it, ONLY use it when you would of normally had your laptop on
Make sure the “Send via Blackberry” sig is removed
But the social network is the biggest thing, just make sure no one EVER sees you with it or the word will get out. It does in my company
Old 03-07-2006, 11:30 AM   #8
sognonvi

Model: 7290

Does anyone a software that can increace the volume an my BB PLEASE HELP
Old 03-07-2006, 12:32 PM   #9
kelvin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW
Default Way to go on hijacking the thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sognonvi
Does anyone a software that can increace the volume an my BB PLEASE HELP
Search.......