BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 10:41 PM   #1
Roy Scarisbrick

Model: 7290
Default Synchronize Blackberry and Outlook Inbox

Please Login to Remove!

The Intellisync on the Blackberry Desktop Manager synchronizes calendar events and contacts between the device and Outlook. I'm not aware that it can synchronize email.

Is an add-in available to at least synchronize the inbox?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

No, the BlackBerry doesn't sync email.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (7130e VZW: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The BB is an e-mail device. With BES, you can keep your e-mail in sync. And the new BIS interface does a good job at synchronizing the inbox, but not subfolders.

So the answer is yes, in fact, you can synchronize your e-mail, although most people don't use that word.

Last edited by gdpmumin; 04-12-2006 at 11:37 PM..
Old 04-12-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

No, it does not sync mail. It forwards mail from the time that you set it up. It does not sync the e-mail light a Pocket PC.

You can reconcile your e-mail so that read items get reflected properly, and deleted items, etc. But that is completely different from syncing your Inbox. You can not sync your Inbox.

(Sorry gdpmumin, but I disagree with you on this one).
Old 04-12-2006, 11:35 PM   #5
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (7130e VZW: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I don't disagree with your explanation. But the end result is the same. I have the same e-mail on my device and my computer. For someone new to the BB, I would think that's all he's asking about. And that's why I said most people wouldn't use the term "synchronized" for this particular issue.

But no, it's not synchronized in the same way he's synchronizing calendar and contacts.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:43 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Right - and many people that that you can sync the Inbox so that your entire existing Inbox will magically appear on the BB - and it can't
Old 04-13-2006, 12:09 AM   #7
k9Berry1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i

I present it this way. you can "cable" sync calander, contacts, tasks, and memos with the BIS delivering your email. Or you can Over the air sync all of the above with the BES.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:03 AM   #8
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Right - and many people that that you can sync the Inbox so that your entire existing Inbox will magically appear on the BB - and it can't
Exactly. I've noticed that sometimes an Enterprise Activation will push some older email to a new or wiped Blackberry. However, it doesn't seem consistent. The last time I went through EA I only received new email.

Email definitely doesn't sync like contacts, calendar, tasks and memo. Telling people that the Blackberry does sync email is misleading.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:11 PM   #9
MikeD

Model: 8700

To further complicate the terminology, in my version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager (v4.1.0.8), the Intellisync window has a section at the top named "Synchronize Now". "Reconcile messages" is an option under "Synchronize Now". Under this taxonomy reconciling messages is a mode of synchronization.

Which brings me to my question...
I am a newb (my 8700 is 2 weeks old) and I don't understand why the "Reconcile messages" option in the Intellisync section of my BlackBerry Desktop Manager is grayed out.
I am using an unlocked 8700c with TMo. I'm not using BES or Exchange or anything like that - I'm just a consumer using BIS via my TMo account and regular Outlook on my PC at home. I have several POP3 email accounts that the 8700 is sending and receiving just fine.

So why can't I reconcile the emails on my 8700 with the Outlook on my PC over the USB cable? This option is always grayed out.

Thanks for any explanation.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #10
MikeD

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
To further complicate the terminology, in my version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager (v4.1.0.8), the Intellisync window has a section at the top named "Synchronize Now". "Reconcile messages" is an option under "Synchronize Now". Under this taxonomy reconciling messages is a mode of synchronization.

Which brings me to my question...
I am a newb (my 8700 is 2 weeks old) and I don't understand why the "Reconcile messages" option in the Intellisync section of my BlackBerry Desktop Manager is grayed out.
I am using an unlocked 8700c with TMo. I'm not using BES or Exchange or anything like that - I'm just a consumer using BIS via my TMo account and regular Outlook on my PC at home. I have several POP3 email accounts that the 8700 is sending and receiving just fine.

So why can't I reconcile the emails on my 8700 with the Outlook on my PC over the USB cable? This option is always grayed out.

Thanks for any explanation.
So to answer my own question: it seems from reading in these forums and some RIM docs that reconcile does not work with BIS accounts. I hope I'm wrong but I think that's the case. I really love my BB but the lack of sync with Outlook is a major pain in the A compared to the PocketPC I was previously using. As more BBs get sold in the retail channel there are going to be plenty of consumers who get confused about BES/BIS and syncing. Early last year I had a retail TMo rep tell me that my BB would use MS ActiveSync to sync everything with my desktop Outlook including email. Yeah right!
Old 04-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #11
proach3

I too have the same problem, I can't reconcile my Outlook email with my BB email. My company does not use BES, but does use an exchange server. A friend of mine said his BB reconciles with his laptop whenever he has them connected with the USB but he has no idea how his MIS dept. set it up.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? Obviously it is possible.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:57 AM   #12
Roy Scarisbrick

My original question was about how to synchronize the inbox on the device (or on the BIS - it's the same) with the inbox on my desktop Outlook.

I don't see a solution in this thread. I'm surprised that there isn't ann add-in that can be purchased for this: a better synchronizer than the Intellisync that comes with the BB Desktop Manager. Seems to be a product that's required.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:16 PM   #13
IanHummel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

If you set up the blackberry with OWA through the BIS, won't e-mail reconcile?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #14
Roy Scarisbrick

I don't know anything about OWA (Outlook Web Access), Ian. Apparently it's something that works in conjunction with Microsoft Exchange. My web host has said that their mail server isn't Exchange, and I don't know what the BIS uses either.

Can you refer me to a document about what you're suggesting?

The other thing I'm looking for is a listing of Blackberry add-ins. My provider says there are lots and I should be able to find an email synchronizer. Bit I've actually seen very few add-ins available.
Closed Thread