Old 02-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
Fumetsu
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Guide to MP3 Ringtones on the 8700c

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I thought I'd post this in its own thread so that way everyone would get a chance to look at it (incase others dont check the other thread ;) ).

The Key To 8700c Ringtones with Cingular's crappy default Browser:

OK, after dealing with this for hours and scouring these threads to find a solution, I believe I have found a way to finally get them to work (at least, for me).

I am using Audacity with the following settings:

Pref>Quality>Def. Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Pref>Quality>Default Sample Format: 32-bit Float
Pref>File Format>Mp3 Export Setup>Bit Rate: 64

Now, once you have Audacity set up like this, you will do the following (as stated by Blackbreaker in the 7130 thread):
* select the section you want the ringer to be
* copy it and open a new project in audacity
* paste your selection
* go to Effect at the top and choose "High Pass Filter". Leave it at the default setting and hit OK. If this option is greyed out, try hitting Ctrl+A to select your ringtone clip.
* split the stereo track
* make both tracks mono
* export to mp3

Voila, it *should* work. These were the only settings that worked for me, and it was a pain to finally figure out how to get it right.

If you would like, you can send me an MP3 via e-mail and I will try to make it into a ringtone for you (I dont know how many of these requests I would be able to make) if you cant get it to work. I've noticed I can get up to 20 seconds of ringtone under the 120kb limit in place with the Cingular Browser.

Hope this helps!

My e-mail is [email address] if you have any requests.

Here are the couple that I have made:

http://www.fumetsu.net/BeautifulLife.mp3
http://www.fumetsu.net/ring.mp3 (Dragostea din tei by O-zone)

Note: They sound very tinny/full trebel when you hear them on a set of PC speakers. This is because of the High Pass Filter and basically "cellphone-izes" the mp3 (hey, I created a word!). They sound *perfect* for a ringtone when you hear them on the 8700c. Very loud and attention-getting. ;)
Old 02-18-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
shfawaz

Model: 8800
Talking Works Great!

Thanks for this information. Worked for me! Finally can have some decent ringtones on my Blackberry 8700c.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:24 AM   #3
All4Sky

Model: 8700c

Thanks for the instructions, followed the steps on the mac version of audacity and it works great! I'm on T-Mobile so I don't think the 120kb limit is in effect, I have been able to send files around 200kb or larger.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:48 AM   #4
chaur

I got my ringtone done. But where can i upload the ringtone and use my BB browser to download that? Please advice!
Old 02-26-2006, 02:07 AM   #5
All4Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaur
I got my ringtone done. But where can i upload the ringtone and use my BB browser to download that? Please advice!
If you have a gmail account you can send it to yourself and use the blackberry browser to access gmail and download from there. That's what I do and it works like a charm. I'm thinking of making a new gmail account just for this purpose, so I can have a permanent online home for my ringtones or important files. The great gmail search function will help you find the ringtone easily later on if you end up deleting it from your blackberry.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:22 AM   #6
chaur

i tried to download from gmail, but it doesnt work. Do i need to change any setting on my BB?
Old 02-26-2006, 04:05 AM   #7
All4Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaur
i tried to download from gmail, but it doesnt work. Do i need to change any setting on my BB?
What happens when you try to download it from your gmail? I set up a filter on gmail to send all the ringtones to a label called "Ringtones" so it does not mix with my normal mail in my inbox and I don't have to worry about opening another gmail account. Works great with gmails storage space.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #8
kbcasey04

when i try to download a ringtone from gmail when i open the attachment there is no way to select the mp3 so it will download. anyone have any ideas.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:40 PM   #9
Nextel User
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: AT&T

I was playing with my buddies 8700c last night and went to a folder on My moms site where i used to store wav files for my iden phones. my I've Got Mail wav file played on the 8700c. i cant wait for them to post the new software for the 7100i. for those that want it go to www.purimbasket.com/nassan and click on the yay.wav or just click here from your blackberry http://www.purimbasket.com/nassan/yay.wav

I did not know that the 8700 series could play wav files.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
ronedwards
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Vodafone

For anyone wanting ringtones for an 8700 - the only way to go is 'Mini Ringtones'. Allows you to import an edit mp3s or cd tracks and get them to your BB. Great piece of software and at a reasonable price!! I have nothing to do with them, but it sure has made my life easy!!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 03:15 PM   #11
billclark
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbcasey04
when i try to download a ringtone from gmail when i open the attachment there is no way to select the mp3 so it will download. anyone have any ideas.

I figured it out... if you go to Gmail in your "Internet Browser", click your trackwheel, choose Options, then Browser Configuration. Select each of the checkboxes at the bottom, leaving off background images and javascript popups (that's just a personal preference for me). Now, set your emulation to Microsoft IE. Save that and go back to your message in GMail. Open the Attachments link, then at the bottom, choose the "View Basic HTML" link. Then, your MP3's will be links that you can choose "Scan and Download" for each. Hope that helps!

-B
Old 03-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbcasey04

I am having the same issue- logged into GMail and cannot select the attachment.

Any Ideas
Old 03-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #13
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by billclark
I figured it out... if you go to Gmail in your "Internet Browser", click your trackwheel, choose Options, then Browser Configuration. Select each of the checkboxes at the bottom, leaving off background images and javascript popups (that's just a personal preference for me). Now, set your emulation to Microsoft IE. Save that and go back to your message in GMail. Open the Attachments link, then at the bottom, choose the "View Basic HTML" link. Then, your MP3's will be links that you can choose "Scan and Download" for each. Hope that helps!

-B
Thanks- Alot of work but it worked for me!
342 K file
Thanks,
JP
Old 03-08-2006, 11:15 PM   #14
hansenc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Great Guide! Thanks!
Old 03-09-2006, 02:37 AM   #15
ragin cajun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: cingular

Yes the gmail works the best so far. Vaery nice, thanks guys.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #16
stripesace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300

If anyone is having trouble creating a ringtone, feel free to PM and I'll send you instructions on how to send one to me, and I'll take care of the MP3 ringtone for you. I'm leaving to go out of town for the next week so it might be till next weekend before you get yours back unless theres a rainy day at the beach.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:03 AM   #17
cwgoff

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

I don't have a gmail account. I tried setting up a free webhosting site at putfile.com. I uploaded a file that I created with audacity/lame. When I navigate to the site with my Int Browser, though, I don't see anything do d/l. Any ideas of a way other than gmail to upload the mp3 and then d/l to the 8700?

I have done a search, so I know that I need to upload and then download, but as I said, the basic procedure is not working.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:35 AM   #18
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgoff
I don't have a gmail account. I tried setting up a free webhosting site at putfile.com. I uploaded a file that I created with audacity/lame. When I navigate to the site with my Int Browser, though, I don't see anything do d/l. Any ideas of a way other than gmail to upload the mp3 and then d/l to the 8700?

I have done a search, so I know that I need to upload and then download, but as I said, the basic procedure is not working.

Thanks for any help.
Did you create an html page with the link to the uploaded file?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:07 AM   #19
cwgoff

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

With the help of the info in this thread, I was able to create a couple of mp3 ringer files and upload them on my website. I am not much of an HTML guy though (a ridiculous understatement), so I would rather not have to do that part of it much.

With that said, is there anyone out there that is willing to send me a Gmail invitation via PM. I don't feel overly comfortable supplying my mobile phone number to Google, which is the main way that they are distributing the invitation now I have just learned.

If anyone would do that, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:18 AM   #20
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

It doesnt work via pm it has to be via email and the email you have listed is from hotmail and the last time I tried sending an invite a hotmail account it never got there.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Closed Thread