Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Osteele

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Voice Dialing Bold 9000

Please Login to Remove!

So far I haven't been very impressed with the functionality of my Bold's voice dialing capabilities.

I have had many phones that were far more inferior to the Bold in design, feature, and price. But, there's one thing that most of them allowed me to do, and that was to train the unit to voice dial my contact. This was done on a contact per contact basis in my phonebook.

Is there a way to do this on the Bold?

Thank you all in advance!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
PapiPabs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: occhio
Carrier: AT&T

Left convenience key, then say "Call [contact name or number here]"

Voice dialing on the Bold doesn't really use your stored voice for the recognition like on older phones. It listens for something that sounds phonetically close to a stored entry in the phonebook, then brings up any options that sound close and asks you which number you'd like to dial if you have more than one stored for the contact. You can also check your battery level, signal strength, coverage, or status which covers all three. Much better than the older voice recognition IMHO.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
Osteele

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. I am quite aware of the left convenience key, and have tried using it on several occassions. However, it has never brought up the correct contact name/number. Not once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapiPabs View Post

Voice dialing on the Bold doesn't really use your stored voice for the recognition like on older phones. It listens for something that sounds phonetically close to a stored entry in the phonebook, then brings up any options that sound close and asks you which number you'd like to dial if you have more than one stored for the contact. You can also check your battery level, signal strength, coverage, or status which covers all three. Much better than the older voice recognition IMHO.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
PapiPabs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: occhio

Ah. Mine gets a little sloppy if I don't wait for the the "Say a command" and beep to be done before I start talking. It probably helps that most of the entries in my contact list are spelled pretty much the way they sound.

Maybe try spelling some of the contacts you're having trouble with in a way that will be more easily recognized by the way the name sounds when spoken. Unless you're strictly opposed to incorrect spelling, that is! LOL
Old 03-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
jasn54
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: ATT

Ever since I disabled Audio Prompts my Bold has been nearly perfect for voice dialing, whereas beforehand it was horrible.

I'd used this feature with the prompts enough on my old Pearl, so could adapt to knowing how to use the feature without them, It took a little while, but without them it's even faster.

Give it a try....
Old 03-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Osteele

Thanks for your input. I tried to disable audio prompts immediaetly after reading your post. Tried the voice dial feature three times with three different contact names. 0 for 3. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasn54 View Post
Ever since I disabled Audio Prompts my Bold has been nearly perfect for voice dialing, whereas beforehand it was horrible.

I'd used this feature with the prompts enough on my old Pearl, so could adapt to knowing how to use the feature without them, It took a little while, but without them it's even faster.

Give it a try....
Old 03-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
jasn54

Carrier: ATT

Bummer Osteele, I thought I nailed it for you. Once you get used to a feature like that it's a big loss to get along without it.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 AM   #8
ErnieH
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasn54 View Post

Give it a try....
Wow, thanks jasn54! I turned off Audio Prompts and it made a huge improvement with my Plantronics Voyager Pro.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
RoyJackson

I haven't had much luck with voice dial either. In fact, the Bold doesn't do as good as my old Razor.
Part of the problem (IMHO) is you don't "teach" the Bold, as you do with older phones.
It's too bad, but the Bold does have features I really like and, overall, it's the best cell phone I've ever had.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
Ritsuke
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: BEL Proximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapiPabs View Post

I use it all the time when I'm driving and you're right, I've never had such good voice recognition.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
miamirulz29
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Why don't you guys get vlingo. If you want all features and not pay get 2.0 instead of 3.0.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
AaronR

Model: Q10

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamirulz29 View Post
Why don't you guys get vlingo. If you want all features and not pay get 2.0 instead of 3.0.
I can't seem to find this version. Do you know where it's archived?
Old 08-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I was recently using a Fuze and really, MS Voice Command is so much better. It didn't miss once, not even on a bluetooth headset.

Here's what I found using VoiceDial on the Blackberry, you need to say the name exactly as it appears in your phonebook. So, if the names are sorted last,first that's the way you need to say it. For me, I use titles so I have to say call "Mr. John Doe" (address book is sorted first,last name). It is usually pretty good except when using a BT headset; then I'm lucky to get 20%.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
miamirulz29
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronR View Post
I can't seem to find this version. Do you know where it's archived?

Vlingo for BlackBerry

Go to the bottom of this page.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Closed Thread