Old 10-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
RichyH

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 3 Ireland
Default Blackberry Bold 9700 Question

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

I was given a Blackberry Bold 9700 by a friend who recently purchased an iPhone. I have never used one before so am a complete newbie. The Blackberry is locked to the 3 Ireland network. I bought a 3 SIM only "Best of Both" (mix between bill and prepay) contract. There is a data bundle included.

My problem is that the only Browser option that I have on the phone now is "Hotspot Browser" which I think means that It needs a WIFI connection to connect to the Internet.

I have been onto the 3Ireland customer "service" and "technical" support with no joy. Basically been told different things by different people.

My Question is: Should I be able to browse the internet from my blackberry through 3s 3G Network as you would with any other mobile phone?

The last technical support person said I would need to pay an extra €15 a month for a Blackberry Internet & Email Service. Surely Blackberry wouldn't limit its usability by forcing people to have to pay extra for connecting to the web? I can't see the logic in it.

I basically just wasnt to use a browser app to connect to the web from the blackberry without having to go through wifi and without having to pay €15 euro a month extra for the privilege.

Any help would be appreciated. I've spent over an hour on customer service calls already today going around in circles.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Well, the logic is what it is. If you want to use a BlackBerry for anything besides voice and SMS, you need the extra BlackBerry Data Plan.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
RichyH

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 3 Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Well, the logic is what it is. If you want to use a BlackBerry for anything besides voice and SMS, you need the extra BlackBerry Data Plan.
Thanks for the quick reply. Seems very strange to restrict the usability of your device like that.

Well I'm off to buy a different phone that I can use without having to nearly double my bills. That was a brief relationship with the blackberry.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
AaronR
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Q10
Carrier: Rogers
Default Not wanting a data plan?

I must admit to some confusion.
Without a data plan, or email, texting or other some such, the Blackberry may as well be a regular telephone.
Iphones need a data plan top work as designed, as well.
What did you believe would do that job?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers

The matter of fact is that 'Blackberry' (Research In Motion) does not have any control over the functions of your device.

The service provider is able to chose what you can and cannot do.

Your account is setup so that if you use a blackberry without the applicable data plan from your provider, the features (web browsing through cell network) are disabled.

If you purchased another smartphone that required a data plan you would find the same issue.

Blackberries are typically a more costly solution because providers always tag on a data plan as an additional cost.

Luckily for me I get "Unlimited" data because I'm in a pool of 600 other users who all get 1GB/month on their account. Of course that means work pay for my phone and we've got a deal with the wireless provider.
Closed Thread