Model: 8700g
Default Unable to write or update application data - RESOLUTION

Please Login to Remove!

It sorted my problem out

This came from t-mobile UK:-

Support - Unable to write or update application data
Last Updated: 28 April 2006
Article Number: KB-00729

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary
This article applies to the following:

BlackBerry(r) Desktop Software versions 2.1 through 4.0
BlackBerry wireless device
IBM(r) Lotus Notes(r)
Microsoft(r) Outlook(r)
Microsoft Windows(r) 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem
You receive the following error when synchronizing personal information management (PIM) data between the BlackBerry device and the personal computer:

Unable to write or update application data.

Summary of Causes
The following are possible causes:

Not enough storage space on the device.
Invalid characters in name or address fields.
No First Name, Last Name, or Company has been entered for the contact.
The Device database is corrupt.

Cause 1
The device does not have enough available space to synchronize PIM data with the personal computer.

Resolution
Create more space on the device by reducing the range of days with Intellisync(r). If you require additional storage space, you can also remove applications from the device with BlackBerry Application Loader.

Note: Back up the data on your device with the Backup and Restore tool in BlackBerry Desktop Manager before proceeding.

Reducing the Range of Days with Intellisync

Reducing the range of days restricts the number of appointments or events transferred to the device. You can choose to transfer all items, future items only, or items which fall between a range of days. Reducing the range of days will leave more available space on the device.

Connect the device to the personal computer. Open Desktop Manager.
Double-click Intellisync.
Click Configure PIM and select Calendar.
From the Configure drop-down menu, select Advanced Settings.
In the Date Range tab, reduce the range of days.
Removing Applications from the Device

Connect the device to the personal computer. Open Desktop Manager.
Double-click Application Loader. The Application Loader Wizard opens. Click Next.
Enter your password. Click Next.
In the Handheld Application Selection area, clear the check boxes for the applications you want to remove from your handheld. Click Next.
Click Finish. The application(s) are removed from the device.

Cause 2 - Invalid characters in name or address fields
There are invalid characters (symbols such as +, $ or %) in the Name or Address fields of address book entries.

Resolution
Make sure that no invalid characters appear in the name or address fields of address book entries.

On the device, open the Address Book and select entries with invalid characters.
Remove any symbols or invalid characters from the Name and Address fields.

Cause 3
There are Contacts in Outlook that do not contain information in the First Name, Last Name, or Company fields.

Resolution
Make sure that each Contact entry is assigned either a First Name, Last Name, or Company.

Open Outlook and go to the Contacts page.
Sort the contacts by Category in order to easily identify entries without names or companies.
Add data to at least one of these fields. Or, delete entries without a First Name, Last Name, or Company.

Cause 4
The device database or information on the device is corrupted.

Resolution
Clear the corrupt database.

Connect the device to the personal computer and open Desktop Manager.
Double-click Backup and Restore. Click Advanced.
Select the database for the application where the error occurred and click Clear. For more information on how to determine the corrupt application, see KB-03069.

Additional Information
If the above procedures do not resolve the issue, erase and restore device data and applications.

To erase device data and applications

Back up the device using the Backup and Restore tool.
Erase all device data and applications. For more information, see KB-02318.
To restore device data and applications

Connect the device to the personal computer and open Desktop Manager.
Double-click Backup and Restore. The Backup and Restore window opens.
Click Restore. Select the backup file that you created before erasing your device data and applications.
Click Open. This restores the device applications and data.

Keywords
unable, write, application, desktop, manager, calendar
Old 01-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
Michbb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 23FAA477
Carrier: Tmo

ok... Well here it goes... I tried to sync my contacts and got the error above. So of course I search here first and find this. I try to do what it says but still no go. The issue I am having is that in my contacts in outlook it doesn't show any contacts without a first/last name or company, but when I do the sync it show's 6 contacts without that information. So what I did was delete all my contacts and import them from the blackberry. I tried to make changes to them and resync but there are still those 6 contact that have no information. Anyone have any ideas. I know it's not a blackberry issue but I thought maybe someone would have an idea!

Thanks
Closed Thread