BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
p3tris

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Base
Default Get msn messenger, gtalk, icq, facebook etc on Blackberry with normal data plan

Please Login to Remove!

1) Set the APN settings in TCP option in your Advanced Settings. You will get these from your carrier (see here for more Carrier specific APN/TCP settings - BlackBerryFAQ )
2) install Btalk (btalk - Project Hosting on Google Code) It allows you to connect to gtalk using the APN settings (that is data from a normal data plan, not BIS or BES) and/or Wifi).
3) Download psi (Psi - The Cross-Platform Jabber/XMPP Client For Power Users) on your computer and install.
4) Login using your gtalk credentials (see here Configuring Psi for Google Talk - Google Talk Help )
5) Now we need to add here the msn and facebook contacts (that's what I use). Follow this tutorial (Tutorial for Psi 0.11 - PsiWiki)
In general:
-Right click and find "Service Discovery"
-Go to Jabber/XMPP Server List and find a server that supports the service you want (i.e. msn, icq)
-Put it to the address and press enter. Then you'll see the services in the box below. Right click on the one you need and click register and give username and password.
-Now you'll have a strange name contact blinking in the main psi window (along with your gtalk contacts). Right click and press Add/Auth. The Right click again and read the messages it has. At some point you'll get a lot of contacts pouring in and have to press accept for each one. There names will be in the form terminator1988@hotmail.com@jabber.se...ou.chose .com
That's it. Now go back to your blackberry and fire up Btalk. You'll see also your MSN, icq contacts in there! If you don't like to see their emails, then go to gmail webpage and go to the contacts tab. There you'll find their emails, add names to them and restart Btalk (not the whole phone).

*Now facebook was a bit tricky for me. Find a jabber server that has jabber 2 jabber transport. Register for that and the put your facebook jabber credentials (from here Facebook Chat | Facebook press other to see them). That should do the work.

Warning: If you have a lot of contacts it will be a pain to rename them once you add them to be recognizable. The facebook contacts will be in the form: 10292091091@chat.facebook.com@jabber.server.com To find out which friend is that attach http://www.facebook.com/people/@/ at the beggining and put it in the browser. That is go to
Code:
http://www.facebook.com/people/@/10292091091
and you'll see who it is.

Hope I helped.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Default Re: Get msn messenger, gtalk, icq, facebook etc on Blackberry with normal data plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3tris View Post
1) Set the APN settings in TCP option in your Advanced Settings. You will get these from your carrier (see here for more Carrier specific APN/TCP settings - BlackBerryFAQ )
2) install Btalk (btalk - Project Hosting on Google Code) It allows you to connect to gtalk using the APN settings (that is data from a normal data plan, not BIS or BES) and/or Wifi).
3) Download psi (Psi - The Cross-Platform Jabber/XMPP Client For Power Users) on your computer and install.
4) Login using your gtalk credentials (see here Configuring Psi for Google Talk - Google Talk Help )
5) Now we need to add here the msn and facebook contacts (that's what I use). Follow this tutorial (Tutorial for Psi 0.11 - PsiWiki)
In general:
-Right click and find "Service Discovery"
-Go to Jabber/XMPP Server List and find a server that supports the service you want (i.e. msn, icq)
-Put it to the address and press enter. Then you'll see the services in the box below. Right click on the one you need and click register and give username and password.
-Now you'll have a strange name contact blinking in the main psi window (along with your gtalk contacts). Right click and press Add/Auth. The Right click again and read the messages it has. At some point you'll get a lot of contacts pouring in and have to press accept for each one. There names will be in the form terminator1988@hotmail.com@jabber.se...ou.chose .com
That's it. Now go back to your blackberry and fire up Btalk. You'll see also your MSN, icq contacts in there! If you don't like to see their emails, then go to gmail webpage and go to the contacts tab. There you'll find their emails, add names to them and restart Btalk (not the whole phone).

*Now facebook was a bit tricky for me. Find a jabber server that has jabber 2 jabber transport. Register for that and the put your facebook jabber credentials (from here Facebook Chat | Facebook press other to see them). That should do the work.

Warning: If you have a lot of contacts it will be a pain to rename them once you add them to be recognizable. The facebook contacts will be in the form: 10292091091@chat.facebook.com@jabber.server.com To find out which friend is that attach http://www.facebook.com/people/@/ at the beggining and put it in the browser. That is go to
Code:
http://www.facebook.com/people/@/10292091091
and you'll see who it is.

Hope I helped.
Since you're on AT&T, and BlackBerry data plans are no more expensive than "normal" data plans, why in the heck would you do this? A LOT more work, a lot less functionality (no BB push email, no BBM, etc) and the same amount of money? Sorry, but no thanks.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Get msn messenger, gtalk, icq, facebook etc on Blackberry with normal data plan

Plus, if you have a BB on AT&T and it is found on an IMEI scan, they will add a BB data plan whether you want it or not. So why not get one to begin with and save yourself a lot of grief and extra work. And I agree, a lot of work for nothing.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:37 AM   #4
p3tris

Ok, here we go:

1) Now I live in Europe. My carrier offers 500mb normal data plan for €5 and the 500mb BB data plan for €15.

2) I like more the gmail app than bb push (since I've connected all my email to that and I also use the online version at work). Even when I had BB plan I used it. And it works perfectly with normal plan.

3) I like a lot more opera browser than t native one. I used it even when I had BB plan. And works fine with normal plan.

4) Having facebook, msn and gtalk with BB plan meant 3 programs. Now it's just one and saved me a lot of space (much wanted on my memmory-less 8300).

5) Some aftermarket programs didn't work with BIS, all work with the TCP. For example: sending an sms to usa from my carrier costs €0.37. Sending the sms through the app "WebCallDirect sms" (which works with tcp but not with BIS) costs me €0.05. And I send at least 2 per day to family members.

6) You say a lot of trouble but it took me like 30-40 minutes.

7) In some countries they don't offer BIS services but most countries do offer data plans (think outside USA)

8) ...

Posted from my BB phone without BB plan :p
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

7. But your profile says AT&T so it is natural to assume that you are in the USA. Going to all that trouble if you are on AT&T in the US doesn't make sense. Perhaps you should have mentioned where you lived from the start.

Please change your profile to indicate your current cell carrier and location.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
p3tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
7. But your profile says AT&T so it is natural to assume that you are in the USA. Going to all that trouble if you are on AT&T in the US doesn't make sense. Perhaps you should have mentioned where you lived from the start.

Please change your profile to indicate your current cell carrier and location.
Didn't realize that. Sorry for the trouble. Changed...
Old 03-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
HATEPOLICY
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: 02, Carrefour, Lebara.

Great work P3tris!
Thanks ever so much for posting this info up!

We just unlocked and removed policy's on a few BB's for the family,
We are also here in Benelux, where data plans are poor! nevermind BIS even!
Total rubbish that half of these apps won't work with out BIS, the 2nd hand market for BB's must be suffering!?
Luckily we get our BB's for free, otherwise i think iphones or Htc for the kids!

Tempted to move my BB off BIS now also, avid fan of gmail and opera!

Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
zocster
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: ask
Carrier: Vodafone NZ

I will share this post thanks
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread