Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
mjbanks
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default IMAP Email Reconciliation Questions

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry if this is noobish or the wrong area. I recently switched from an iPhone 3G to the Bold and am very happy with it.

With email, I setup my accounts in BIS as IMAP. On my iPhone, whenever I read an email on the phone, it was marked as read in my Mail.app on my MacBook Pro (and vice-versa). Same thing with deleting messages (if you delete in one place, it's gone in the other).

Is there any way to make my BlackBerry do the same thing? I get upwards of 500-600 emails a day, so having to delete them in both locations becomes tedious.

If you need more info, I have 4 accounts setup in BIS (2 through my web server, 1 through Google Apps for your Domain, 1 Gmail). I'm running the .185 OS on AT&T and use OSX 10.5.5 with Mail.app on my computer. I sync PIM data with Missing Sync.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 11-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Jarrod623

Model: 9800
PIN: Just Ask! PM Me...

I have a partial answer for you...

As for deleting its not to hard. When you are in your messages folder click your BB Botton>Options>Email Recon...>Click the email you want to edit and make sure "Delete On" is set to Mailbox & Handheld or Prompt. Prompt will ask you to choice after you click delete each time.

As for the read factor... to my knowledge it will not do that, however I will not tell you no. But if you find out let me know.

Afraid You Might Miss Big BlackBerry News??
Follow me on TWITTER For Fast BB News

The BlackBerry Dictionary
Old 11-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
mjbanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod623 View Post
I have a partial answer for you...

As for deleting its not to hard. When you are in your messages folder click your BB Botton>Options>Email Recon...>Click the email you want to edit and make sure "Delete On" is set to Mailbox & Handheld or Prompt. Prompt will ask you to choice after you click delete each time.

As for the read factor... to my knowledge it will not do that, however I will not tell you no. But if you find out let me know.
Thanks! That helps with deleting. I've been searching on here and Google and from what I can tell, BIS only supports 1-way sync for marking messages as read. Maybe RIM will implement that in a later update, but I doubt it's high on the priority list.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
Jarrod623

PIN: Just Ask! PM Me...

Glad I could help with the 1 part... anytime you need just ask.

Afraid You Might Miss Big BlackBerry News??
Follow me on TWITTER For Fast BB News

The BlackBerry Dictionary
Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
mjbanks

So a bit of an update. With the "sync deleted items" box checked in BIS, I get both deleted and read mail synchronized between the IMAP accounts hosted on my web server. However, read mail is synchronized on Gmail or Google Apps accounts.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

interestingly enough read mail is synced correctly on yahoo but not on google or hotmail....
Old 11-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
lisamel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaevola View Post
interestingly enough read mail is synced correctly on yahoo but not on google or hotmail....
is that the free yahoo or paid yahoo account?
I am thinking of jumping over to yahoo. The lack of gmail reconciling the read items is just stupid and annoying.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:57 PM   #8
mjbanks

So I've narrowed more down about read mail synchronizing with Gmail and Google Apps. It seems that these accounts get setup as POP3 in BIS and not IMAP. Does anyone know of a way to change that? Or a way to manually setup the accounts as IMAP and not POP3?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Carrier: Rogers

I remember there use to be an advance tab if you edited the account on the BIS site that allowed you to change it. When I setup my email account the other day I never had an option it went straight to IMAP. I think the BIS site is getting smart and testing for IMAP first then if your host does not support it moving to POP3 as a secondary default.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
kuj

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbanks View Post
So I've narrowed more down about read mail synchronizing with Gmail and Google Apps. It seems that these accounts get setup as POP3 in BIS and not IMAP. Does anyone know of a way to change that? Or a way to manually setup the accounts as IMAP and not POP3?
Follow Gmail's Help on how to setup email for BlackBerry (this is a copy & paste from their site):

------------------
To configure IMAP access for your BlackBerry, just follow these steps:

1. Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
2. From your BlackBerry home screen, select the BlackBerry Set-up icon, then choose Personal Email Set-up. (On older devices, just look for the Personal Email Set-up icon.)
3. Select Personal Email Set-up.
4. Accept Terms and Conditions.
5. On the 'Email Account Set-up' page, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') but leave the 'Password:' field blank. Select Next.
6. You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure [username@gmail.com].' Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
7. Select Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP), then Next.
8. Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
9. You'll see 'The BlackBerry Internet Service could not configure [username@gmail.com] email account.' Select Provide The Settings to continue.
10. In the 'User name:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com'). Google Apps users, please enter your full email address at your domain. Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
11. In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next. Google Apps users should enter the server name provided; don't add your domain name in this step.
12. If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
13. Below your newly added Gmail address, select Edit.
14. Select Advanced Settings at the bottom.
15. Make sure the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'
16. Select Save.

There should now be a new mailbox icon on your BlackBerry home screen labeled with your Gmail address. Once you see this icon, follow these steps to ensure proper configuration:

1. Open the mailbox icon.
2. Open the menu by pressing the jog wheel or BlackBerry menu button, then select Options.
3. Select Email Reconciliation.
4. Confirm the following settings:
* Delete On: Mailbox & Handheld
* Wireless Reconcile: On
* On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins
5. Select Save.
6. Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as needed.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #11
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Is this true two-way sync. of the mail? Meaning, reading on either GMail or Blackberry is recognized by the other, and deleting a message from one shows as deleted on the other?

Last time I checked the GMail IMAP setup was severely lacking in to what was offered by Yahoo, which had true two-way sync.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:43 PM   #12
mjbanks

After a bit of research, it seems that setting up Gmail as IMAP makes it not push to the phone. It takes around 15 minutes for most people to get messages. Guess I'll just stick with the way it is so things are pushed instantly.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:58 PM   #13
conker

PIN: 249E86E3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbanks View Post
After a bit of research, it seems that setting up Gmail as IMAP makes it not push to the phone. It takes around 15 minutes for most people to get messages. Guess I'll just stick with the way it is so things are pushed instantly.
I don't think this is true, or is not relevant anymore. I recently (2d ago) made the IMAP switch after I saw this post, and I get mails instantly from my various GMail accounts.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #14
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

It is relevant - IMAP support is spotty from what others say.

The important point I was trying to make was that reading on the GMail side does not show the mail as read on the Blackberry.

Booooooooooooo Google. I can't believe this is still not resolved. I want one damn inbox - I don't want to have to manage two inboxes, one on my Blackberry and one on the GMail site.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:56 PM   #15
conker

PIN: 249E86E3

I guess I am one of the lucky ones? I don't have issues with email getting pushed, or deleted when reconciled, or marked as read. Do these last 2 actions happen instantly, no. Does email get pushed instantly? As far as I can tell - Yes.

I hope to hear form others.

Last edited by conker; 11-25-2008 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: Clarification.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:49 AM   #16
ddarvish
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

that still solves everything except for mark as read option. i hear that if you wait long enough (anywhere between 15mins-several hours) that it will end up being mark as read on your blackberry as well if you originally check on you computer. I will try tonight to confirm. considering it works for most other mail services properly, im gonna have to say it is gmail's fault though if there is something RIM can implement now to make it work better that would be awesome.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #17
dathrilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Orange CH

BIS = one way sync

BES = 2 way sync

Official response from tech support at provider (and makes perfect sense).
Old 11-26-2008, 02:35 PM   #18
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamel View Post
is that the free yahoo or paid yahoo account?
I am thinking of jumping over to yahoo. The lack of gmail reconciling the read items is just stupid and annoying.
all free yahoo accounts. (have about 4 of them)
and 2 hotmail accounts all though one is bugged...they finally now do 2 way sync on hotmail you have to readd the accounts though
Old 11-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #19
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaevola View Post
all free yahoo accounts. (have about 4 of them)
and 2 hotmail accounts all though one is bugged...they finally now do 2 way sync on hotmail you have to readd the accounts though
Hotmail 2-way? Really?

I readded my account and it doesn't sync between the web interface and the BB.
Closed Thread