BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #121
ColinH

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Picked up a Jawbone BT at a local Cingular store yesterday. They didn't have any on display, no signs, nada. But had 3 in stock when I asked.

Synced up easily with my Pearl. The noise cancelling seems to work very well, I tested it by talking over our garage door going up and down. It's eerily silent to the listener on the other end! Haven't used it enough yet though to determine if there's any clipping due to voice activation.

The inbound sound volume and quality is a big disappointment, though. Using it side-by-side with a Moto H700, the latter is louder and has a much deeper, more natural sound. The Jawbone is quiet and the sound quality tinny.

I ditched the earloop and factory ear adapters and fit a Jabra eargel I had hanging around. It doesn't fit as tightly as I'd like, but stays attached when taking it out of my ear.

Volume is much improved with the Jabra eargel, which makes the sound quality less annoying. And it's much easier to put on and take off, the standard loop was a bit of a wrestling match.

I think I'm going to stick with the Jabra eargel, if these fit your ear it's a definite improvement in the product.

The next step is I'm going to see if I can disassemble one of the standard earbuds to use the "mount" in conjunction with the eargel to see if I can get a tighter fit.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #122
BBChristopher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Got one last week....

Great device!
I had the same thing happen at the Cingy store. No display, no ads.. nothing. But when i asked..they had a bunch in the back.
This is one of the best BT headsets out right now...strange they don't advertise it at all.
850, 950, 957, 7100, 7130, 8100, 8800, 8310, 9000
Old 03-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #123
FriscoZr

Model: i730
Default Sound quality issues

I bought a Jawbone yesterday from my local Cingular store.
I charged it last night and paired it this morning.
All that went as expected.

I am having mixed results with sound quality, both incoming and outgoing. I have tried different ear buds with different results - but no consistant results.

In all cases, checking in a mirror, the little white voice/cheek sensor appears to be contacting my skin in every case. Sometimes the pressure is light - with std bud to very secure and much firmer contact with some of the curved buds. In both cases though I more times than not get a staticy and clikcy sound - probably more in the later case. I even tried a Jabra ear bud - this was very secure and the incoming sound was better but the static and clicking was worse and the white nipple seemed to be pressed even harder against my cheek. I have only used the standard right earloop. Also was able to use the Jabra bud without the loop. I liked this the best but it still had the click/static issue.

The perception from the person on the other end is that the connection is not good and I'm breaking up. I asked about background noise and that seems to be non-existant - so atleast that part is working.

Anyone got thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #124
rjhouck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130c
Carrier: Cingular

Have you tried pairing the Jawbone with a different phone to see if you get the same results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoZr
I bought a Jawbone yesterday from my local Cingular store.
I charged it last night and paired it this morning.
All that went as expected.

I am having mixed results with sound quality, both incoming and outgoing. I have tried different ear buds with different results - but no consistant results.

In all cases, checking in a mirror, the little white voice/cheek sensor appears to be contacting my skin in every case. Sometimes the pressure is light - with std bud to very secure and much firmer contact with some of the curved buds. In both cases though I more times than not get a staticy and clikcy sound - probably more in the later case. I even tried a Jabra ear bud - this was very secure and the incoming sound was better but the static and clicking was worse and the white nipple seemed to be pressed even harder against my cheek. I have only used the standard right earloop. Also was able to use the Jabra bud without the loop. I liked this the best but it still had the click/static issue.

The perception from the person on the other end is that the connection is not good and I'm breaking up. I asked about background noise and that seems to be non-existant - so atleast that part is working.

Anyone got thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #125
FriscoZr

Model: i730

Nope. Will try this evening with the wife's phone. Thanks for the suggestion.

For those who are having success, how firm (I know this is really subjective) is the little white sensor being pressed against your cheek?

Thanks again for the responses/input/feedback.

Last edited by FriscoZr; 03-22-2007 at 05:58 PM..
Old 03-23-2007, 09:37 AM   #126
pdqgp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Don't worry about it
Default So far I love it but it's not perfect

I picked up a new Jawbone to go with my BB8800 and must say I was really hoping it would be perfect...but it's not.

The device works as advertised, period. Very good, best out there IMO.

However, the tinny sound everyone talks about is exactly what I said prior to even reading anyone else's thoughts. That's a disappointment. I can live with it, but for a a product that is supposed to come from military applications, one would think they would have incoming sound quality down pat and perfected.

The ear pieces are also not good at all. every ear is unique I understand, but the fitment of pretty much all of them is poor for me. I am spoiled by the Jabra 250 I have in terms of ear fit and inner canal fit. I think they have the perfect design ergonomically. I can pop it out of my pocket and put it on my ear in less than one full ring. The ear gels that comes standard fit perfectly inside my canal too. Volume is actually too loud so I have to back it down, but the quality is dead on like you were on a real phone.

I will likely keep the jawbone as it's doing excellent in terms of my sound quality. I have however adapted the eargel from my Jabra to fit on it and will have to go buy more in case it wears out since I had to force it to expand for fitment. Hopefully Jawbone will come out with better ear buds.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #127
dlbrock
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Default Jawbone earbuds are very poor quality

I have had a terrible time getting any of the provided earbuds to work very well with the Jawbone. I found this thread on another forum and this guy came up with an awesome idea. I have tried it and it works great!

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Aliph's Jawbone® Bluetooth Headset, part 2

I hope this helps some of you having issues with the earbuds.

Doug
Old 03-26-2007, 09:51 AM   #128
rjhouck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130c

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrock
I have had a terrible time getting any of the provided earbuds to work very well with the Jawbone. I found this thread on another forum and this guy came up with an awesome idea. I have tried it and it works great!

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Aliph's Jawbone® Bluetooth Headset, part 2

Doug
Thanks for the info dlbrock. I have had no problems with the clear ear jells. In fact they have made the Jawbone a completely new headset. I may give the mini earbuds a try just for fun.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:40 AM   #129
CDOO

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Unhappy Jawbone won't work

I received by Jawbone from the jawbone website and received it pretty quick. I love the way it fits, but I can't get it to work. I am assuming it is not hitting my cheek correctly. I have searched and can't find a good description of how it's suppose to fit. I have paired it a couple of times with my 8703e and it either has a lot of static or the person on the other end can't hear me.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I haven't given up yet.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #130
jwerges
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
PIN: 23DE21B3
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I am also having problems with the fit. I have tried various combinations of loops and earbuds. None seem to fit snug in my ear. In fact if I tilt my head to the side, it will almost fall off of my ear. It also seems like the noise-shield doesn't work very well(less than haf the time). This may be a result of not fitting correctly. This is my first BT headset, so I have no point of reference for fit, sound, etc. Anyone else having similar problems?

Mr. Blonde
Old 03-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #131
kramerica
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530

Jabra Minigels + Jawbone = Happy Consumer.

Tried the Jabra eargels and the fit wasn't right for me (but certainly could be for others). The minigels minus the Jawbone supplied earpiece (disconnected) for some reason eliminated the tinny effect and the volume was awesome. Using the earhook to keep the plastic tip touching my check for the "noise cancellation".

This was my 3rd one and thought for the $7 minigel add-on, I thought I would give it another shot.

Couldn't be happier! Thanks Jack T. and dlbrock.

Giddyup

Last edited by kramerica; 03-31-2007 at 06:45 AM..
Old 03-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #132
pdqgp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Don't worry about it

here are some better photos. This is what I did with mine. I still use the ear loop though. Each persons fit is different.

Jawbone Ear Piece for Cell Phone Photo Gallery by Tim at pbase.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrock

Doug
Old 04-03-2007, 10:05 PM   #133
pdutta2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

I'm on day 1 of my new Jawbone and so far the fit is nothing but worthless. Having come from the Jabra BT250 line...this is terrible. I have however tried the Jabra eargel from my BT250 and it's not bad. I also went back to the standard jawbone ear gel and it's not bad either. The best change I made, however, was to twist the earloop while on my ear to make the fit snug. Seemed to work the best. I'll test the true noise canceling capabilities tomorrow when I'm at the airport.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:42 AM   #134
Arcane

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

good advice. thanks to all. I got a mustek BT off woot and should not have wasted my money. I think I'm headed out to get a jawbone within the next week. Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #135
Dnottingham4

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdutta2000 View Post
I'm on day 1 of my new Jawbone and so far the fit is nothing but worthless. Having come from the Jabra BT250 line...this is terrible. I have however tried the Jabra eargel from my BT250 and it's not bad.
Are you stating that you put your BT250 Ear gel onto the jawbone?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:26 PM   #136
lemonsensation

Model: 8700
Default My Review

I have a Blackberry 8700c latest OS from Cingular (v4.1.0.377) using the Jawbone.

People tell me they can hear me very clearly which was the whole reason I got it. My Motorola H700 got really annoying when people couldn't understand me and I had to repeat myself many times. No complaints at all and I am very satisfied in this department.

Noise cancellation works very well. I am talking to people with my head right next to the speaker with music playing at modest volume and they tell me they can hear me perfectly. They say they can faintly hear the sound of the music. The volume of the speaker is loud enough that if I make it any louder it would start to hurt my ear. Also I can talk in my normal voice and not have to shout.

The sound quality that I get from the headset is pretty bad compared to my Motorola H700. Voices doesn't sound as full BUT I did get used to it and it doesn't seem that bad afterwards. And the sound quality isn't bad in a way that I don't understand what people are saying. It just doesn't reproduce the voice of the people I am talking to anywhere as well as the H700. But what's the point of using the H700 if people can't hear me.

Jawbone fits my ear just fine with the provided ear molds and ear clips. It is pretty comfy for me. Everybody's ears are different so it might work for some and not work for others. A tip: there is a certain way to slide it onto your ear since the clip fits tightly. (There's instructions in the manual.) Just put the bottom tip of the ear clip onto the top of your ear and slide the headset down and it should fit snuggly.

Volume control can be adjusted from the headset or the phone. I mainly do it from the phone because my phone has a better volume control. If you do it on the headset, you can only increase the volume and after it hits the max volume, it goes to the lowest volume. This is a little annoying because it gets a little loud at max which isn't good for my ear. And there's only 3 or 4 different volumes.

There's two buttons on the face of the headset. I am not a big fan of the buttons. You have to push really hard for it to work. I also have to hold the headset with my finger and push it a certain way or I will be shoving the headset into my ear and face really hard. I will probably get used to it with time.

The Jawbone is just as light as the Motorola H700 as far as I can tell. But the Jawbone is bigger. I don't understand why it won many awards for its design because IMO it's a bit clunky.

I dislike the charger. It's a proprietary charger so different chargers won't work on the Jawbone. It's also hard to unplug and it feels very flimsy. I am afraid I will break off the four connector pins which are used to charge the headset. For something that you might need to charge (plug and unplug) daily, it sure seems poorly designed IMO.

Final Thoughts: The Jawbone is definitely not a perfect headset that I expected for the price. I get poor sound quality from the headset which is my biggest complaint but it's nothing that makes it hard to understand whoever is talking to me. Bad charger design would be my second complaint. Luckily I don't have any problems with the fit so it's pretty comfy. The big reason I like the Jawbone and makes it superior to other headsets is people can hear me perfectly no matter what the environment I am in. I do not have to repeat myself or talk especially loud. I just talk in my normal voice and it works perfectly.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #137
lemonsensation

Model: 8700
Default Fitting problems possible solution

I don't know if this is tried but for people with fitting problems, try using the Jawbone without the earclip. The headset stays in place for me without the ear clip. The headset is now even easier to take on or off my ear.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #138
jwerges
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 23DE21B3
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonsensation
I don't know if this is tried but for people with fitting problems, try using the Jawbone without the earclip. The headset stays in place for me without the ear clip. The headset is now even easier to take on or off my ear.
The ear clip is the only thing keeping it on my head. I can't get the ear post to fit snugly in my ear with any of the included buds. I have even tried the Jabra mini gels. No good. I am not happy with the fit. I have considered switching to a Motorola model or something, but this is my first bt, and everyone says it is the best with regard to noise cancelling. I don't think the noise cancelling is all that great, but maybe that is due the piece not fitting correctly.

Mr. Blonde
Old 05-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #139
TRIdad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

I think this just shows how many different ear sizes we all have. I can wear it without the earpiece and just the supplied small bud. It's a little bit uncomfortable after about 15 minutes. Next time I'm near R Shack I'll pick up some jabra gels...
Old 05-23-2007, 06:40 AM   #140
lordhamster

I've tried both the Jawbone and the Plantronics 665

I have to say for me the 665 is more convenient (because of car charger and no need for ear loop) also, the other person sounds less tinny. However, I have not had a good opportunity to test the noise cancel for guy on other side.

I'll have to try that out more.
Closed Thread