Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #121
prestonmcafee
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default Excellent!

Please Login to Remove!

That is now a complete solution -- a full screen playing of the video files. I am so far having 100% conversion success. They look good, too!

Moreover, the dollars5 media player has a shuffle mode for playing music, which is something I miss in the default since usually that is how I would listen.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2007, 01:14 AM   #122
Endy

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Talking Victory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hong View Post
In Seabyrd's BlackBerry Video Converter, I can only convert it to medium resolution. The outcome video is not that great.

Before I switch to 8800, I use a software called Super to convert video into my E61. Very powerful software (probably overkill if you only need to convert video for just the BlackBerry platform) and the resolution is great. Here is the link:

SUPER © .

Lately I am switching back to Nokia E61. The multimedia functions on the 8800 need improvement. Perhaps I will switch back after a software upgrade.

I am using BlackBerry Connect on E61 so that would serve my e-mail needs. I am also enjoying the 3G benefit with my E61: I can receive e-mails while I am talking on the phone.

Ok so, I got videos converting to the 8830 with no hitches. Jealous?
Well i'm not coldhearted so here's how:
Keep in mind that this takes twice as much converting as it should. Programmers or vidnuts, please help streamline this if it's even possible or at least make some proof positive sense out of it.

You need 2 programs (3 if you want to convert a DVD)
1) On the quote above, download Super.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
Free with DM 4.2 sp 2, it will convert videos on the fly for you. It supports playlists on the Curve (don't think it will on the others but have not tried it). Get it here BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software | Applications to Synchronize Your BlackBerry and Desktop Data
Go to the bottom of the page and click on the download link.

Best I can tell it only supports .mov, .avi and and .wma media files, so conversion still needs to be done of You Tube videos.

Roxio uses My Media accross their product line which is described below. They BB specific actions are then described followed by how media is transferred to the device. Note that I doubt playlists are supported on the 8800 but I have not tried it yet. It does convert videos for you.

Working with My Media

The My Media view shows your Smart Views and albums.
Smart Views are media file groupings automatically created and maintained by Media Manager, based on common characteristics such as media type, date, or keyword. You can also create Smart Views from your search queries, or from existing Smart Views.
Albums are media file groupings that you create and manage yourself. You can use albums to group media files from vacations, events, or special occasions. If you’ve already organized your photos and videos into folders, Media Manager automatically creates an album for each folder. When you add a photo or video to one of these folders, Media Manager automatically adds it to your album.
A single media file can be included in multiple Smart Views and albums. Moving media files from one album or Smart View to another does not affect the files’ physical location on the disk. When you remove media files from Smart Views or albums, the media files are not physically deleted from your disk.
You can remove a media file from a Smart View, which removes the file from all other Smart Views to which it belongs. (The files are not removed from the Windows file system.)
You can also rename files within a Smart View, which renames the file in all other views to which it belongs, as well as in the Windows file system.
You cannot delete, rename, or move Smart Views.

Media Manager for BlackBerry

This version of Media Manager is specially designed to be used with your BlackBerry device. It differs from the standard version of Media Manager in the following ways: [LIST][*]It includes a BlackBerry view in both Media Manager and Media Selector, which you can use to browse media files on your BlackBerry device. (This view may be referred to as the My Devices view in this guide.)[*]It contains a BlackBerry Options tab. (This tab may be referred to as the Cell Phone Options tab in this guide.)
Tip: For more information about the fields on this tab, choose Tools > Options, click BlackBerry and then click Help.[*]The procedures for transferring files to and from your BlackBerry have been enhanced

Transferring files from your computer to your BlackBerry
[*]Media Manager always opens in Split view, so you don’t need to click the Split View button when instructed to do so in the procedures in this guide.
2) Though he is talking about the 8800 and not the 8830, do as he says and download the media manager from the blackberry site. You need the Roxio program.

3) Use super to encode your files using these settings:

4) Be cool and use the right aspect ratio and FPS for your video. The properties and/or details will tell you what it is. Match them up always.

5) Use Super to encode to mp4, and the BB manager Roxio thing to convert for the blackberry.

That's it!
I've only had one issue so far where fast motion video seems to lag out the BB video, but the audio still works. Skipping past that scene works fine. (3 encodes and same results each time, assuming BB limitation)

DVD:
Ok now it gets nasty. 3 encode jobs.
Download this tool as well: Seabyrd Technologies - Blackberry Video Converter
This is great for combining vob files into one avi. All DVD's nowadays are protected so you can use something like AnyDVD to which I found a hacked torrent for.
Load AnyDVD, insert DVD, load the seabyrd video converter, select vobs 1-x, convert. This gives you a .avi.
Load Super, select avi, ensure settings are for mp4, match aspect and fps, convert. This gives you a .mp4
Load the BB manager Roxio thing, select the .mp4, connect your blackberry, 'move down' to your video folder on your microsd.

I spent hours and hours trying various crap and this is all I could do to get it to work. I'm sick of typing and staring at progress bars so I'm gonna go watch Bourne Identity on my BB 8830 now.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:51 AM   #123
Endy

Well i was going to post a short video of it in action but photobuckets not the best place.

Last edited by Endy; 06-16-2007 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: .
Old 06-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #124
.jond

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonmcafee View Post
OK, I have this working. I downloaded the program listed above, Super@,

SUPER © .

Settings that work reliably for me, no stuttering:
1. MP4
2. DIVX
3. AAC
Use Directshow NOT checked

Video 320X240,
Aspect 4:3
Frames/Sec 15
Bitrate: 528
Options: H Quality

Audio: 44100
Channels: 2
Bitrate: 64
DVD language: Default

THANK YOU!!!!!
I've tried everything and this is the only thing I've gotten to work so far, and it works perfect.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:36 PM   #125
prestonmcafee

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by .jond View Post
THANK YOU!!!!!
I've tried everything and this is the only thing I've gotten to work so far, and it works perfect.
You're welcome!

I am pretty happy with Runamuk's suggested program for full screen -- works great full screen with the same settings.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:38 AM   #126
guruleenyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T/Sprint/Nextel

Wirelessly posted (NXTL7520: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

This is a great find/resource---thanks!!!

(I'll go and convert my BloodDiamond and Night at the Museum now...).

"Knowledge breeds confidence and confidence breeds success"
Old 06-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #127
zaakir
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 32CA3124
Carrier: Sprint

will the 8800 play Sony PSP MPEG-4 files?

1. 7280
2. 7520
3. 8830
Old 06-25-2007, 09:38 PM   #128
Runamuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

AFAIK, PSP's running a current OS use vids that are natively MP4's but encoded using H.264/AVC, which I'm pretty sure is a Sony-proprietary codec. Regardless, while the 8800 can read a MP4 video, it can't decode H.264...only H.263. So you'd need to convert your PSP video to H.263 codec to get it to work.

I've both a PSP and an 8800 so I feel your pain...I've literally got dozens of my fave movies in PSP format.

Last edited by Runamuck; 06-25-2007 at 09:41 PM..
Old 06-25-2007, 11:37 PM   #129
carl rifkind
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800C
Carrier: Cingular, the new AT&T

PSP files?
No, it's a very specific (special file header) to playback on the device.

By the way, does anyone have any new information on OTA video downloads to the BlackBerry?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:16 AM   #130
zaakir
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuck View Post
AFAIK, PSP's running a current OS use vids that are natively MP4's but encoded using H.264/AVC, which I'm pretty sure is a Sony-proprietary codec. Regardless, while the 8800 can read a MP4 video, it can't decode H.264...only H.263. So you'd need to convert your PSP video to H.263 codec to get it to work.

I've both a PSP and an 8800 so I feel your pain...I've literally got dozens of my fave movies in PSP format.
Yeah that blows..... I use this..

Neuros: Product Detail

1. 7280
2. 7520
3. 8830
Old 07-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #131
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: AT&T

ok, what am I gdoing wrong?

I use TivoToGo to capture and convert TV for playback on my iPod. Been doing this for over a year now. Now I have the Curve.. so I reviewed the conversion settings on the TivoToGo setup, and for MP4 it is

<tivotrans:Profile name="MPEG-4" audioresamplerate="24" audiobitrateK="128" hrez="320" vrez="240" vbitrateK="590"
filetype=".mp4" framerate="29.97"

which seems to be ok.

the convered file plays fine on my pc. I transfer it to the Curve memory card via USB cable, and it shows fine in the videos section, and starts to play. there is the end of the commercial about 10 seconds in, then black screen, then start of the actual show.. and at the black screen the curve reboots..

hmm.. I'll try the Dollars5 mediaPlayer instead of the the device player.. same results..

the Roxio media manager in the DM folder shows the bitrate at 850kbps..
so this is another one of these converters that does what it will, and ignores the settings.. (mp4 max rate setting was 590, but ended up at 850)..

Any suggetions?

Media Manager won't convert the .tivo file directly..

Sam
Old 07-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #132
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F

Thanks!

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 07-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #133
stansoltz

Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by .jond View Post
THANK YOU!!!!!
YES!!!!!!!!! this finally worked on my Bell Mobility 8830! Cheers... two days of trying every piece of software out there
Old 07-05-2007, 07:36 AM   #134
zaakir
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default vid conversion

Has any one tried this?

Blackberry: BlackBerry 8830: Media Studio for Blackberry® by Makayama Software for BlackBerry 8830

1. 7280
2. 7520
3. 8830
Old 07-14-2007, 08:17 AM   #135
moorken
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9790
Carrier: ?

this is c00000000000l
Old 07-19-2007, 12:02 AM   #136
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

With Super, I am trying to convert an itune video. I am not having any success. Any comments.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #137
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Carrier: VZW Bold

I have been using Imtoo dvd converter for dvd's and it works great near dvd quality on my 8830.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:21 PM   #138
Kardall

Carrier: Telus

Well i've gone through about 6 or 7 different formats, following the "Supported" features of the program. NONE of them work. They all give me the "Unsupported Format" error when loading the image.

I have tried 320x240 and the 320x180 as well... 24fps Layer-3 Audio, ... *shrug*

Anyone had any luck?

I have a video that is DivX, and I use Video Edit Magic to convert it to say AVI with the Microsoft codec or even MPEG-1 custom and set the fields myself that I can. From there, I use the Blackberry Video Creator.

Using the creators settings "Maintain Aspect Ratio (320x240)" for the 88xx.

Anyone know what may be the problem?

EDIT: I'm downloading Super 2007. I have it on another machine somewhere, but I'll give it a shot, I had totally forgot about it XD Will post results.

Last edited by Kardall; 07-27-2007 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: Addition of Information
Old 07-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #139
Kardall

Carrier: Telus

Ok, I got it working:

Settings for the 8830 on Telus Network (This is the Super 2007 Profile). Attached To Message

Step 1) Load your media file into Super (Link available in previous post).
Step 2) Extract the Profile from the zip file, then Import the profile into Super 2007
Step 3) When you convert the file, load up the "Media Manager" from the Desktop Manager Software. (Update to 4.2 SP2 if you want, the one on my CD is 4.2.2)
Step 4) I chose to "Convert for Optimal Playback" when it copied over, and it worked like a charm. Almost no delay on playback. Very COOL!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Blackberry_8830(Telus).zip (868 Bytes, 19 views)

Last edited by Kardall; 07-27-2007 at 03:05 PM..
Old 07-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #140
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

To convert the itunes videos, I tried Super and it did not work for me.
Tunebite files would stick and skip, as well as not allow me to use any other apps. If I minimize the video while recording, it would not work because the video needed to be captured by the program.

Finally, I discovered "Alive Video Converter".The sownloads looked virtually perfect, were done relatively quickly and I was able to mimimize the program while working on other projects.

There may be better products but I haven't found them yet

LET'S GO CANES!
Closed Thread