BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:43 AM   #81
jrfouche
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100C
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Will there be a new Blackberry for Nextel/Sprint? I mean it seems as though all the technology is there.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:45 AM   #82
Dollarbill79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: 23EB5210
Carrier: T-Mobile

Well ill go ahead and put in the RUMOR i heard. I heard from a higher up in the cellular world that sprint and verizon are on thier way out. And if you think about it its not hard to contemplate. I mean sprint has already sold out thier home phone business to Embarq. As my company uses BES i am kinda stuck with the BB not that i dont like it but i was looking at all the different carriers websites and sprint or verizon dont even offer a bb that i would buy. If they dont get on the fast track and see that the trends are going towards "smart" phones than i would say they are doomed.
AIM:Smirnoff120proof
Old 01-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #83
chzbrg

Model: 8703e
Carrier: VZW
Default Verizon?

Why would Verizon be on their way out?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:32 AM   #84
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollarbill79
Well ill go ahead and put in the RUMOR i heard. I heard from a higher up in the cellular world that sprint and verizon are on thier way out. And if you think about it its not hard to contemplate. I mean sprint has already sold out thier home phone business to Embarq. As my company uses BES i am kinda stuck with the BB not that i dont like it but i was looking at all the different carriers websites and sprint or verizon dont even offer a bb that i would buy. If they dont get on the fast track and see that the trends are going towards "smart" phones than i would say they are doomed.
Verizon is on their way out? What are you talking about? This "higher up" should read the Wall St. Journal once in a while.

Sprint and Verizon - WHICH IS DIFFERENT THAN VERIZON WIRELESS - are both (intelligently) getting out of the home physical wire business, to concentrate on broadband, Internet TV and content. Verizon Wireless is not going anywhere. Sprint is not going anywhere. Nextel, on the other hand...
Old 01-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #85
martin_j001
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: none
Carrier: Nokia e71 on ATT

Sprint Nextel is expecting to release 5 of their "PowerSource" phones this year....these phones use Sprint's CDMA network for voice and data, and also have Nextel Direct Connect over the iDen network. One of these phones is the ic902 which will supposedly offer EVDO data (the current phones in this series, the ic402 and ic502 only offer 1x data). That leaves 4 more PowerSource phones to be released this year.... If one of these is by any chance a bb, it would be the full iDen bb that some would like to see, but it quite possibly would have EVDO for faster data....
Old 01-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #86
PCgirl

Model: iP 4S
Carrier: AT&T

We bought Nextel specifically for the walkie feature. We had used them on sets and locations in the past for work, and they have always had great service and reception. Walkies work across the nation. Fast forward to the Sprint merger. No service for most of the day and dropped calls galore. No calls coming through. No voicemails received (or notification of voicemails) until hours later. Text messages show up the next day. Frustrating. But when the walkie works, it's great.

I don't know specifications or details, but when I went to the Nextel store a few weeks ago to get a bb, there was only the 7100 series (no 7520) in stock and I asked why and the sales rep said that the "new" one was coming out in February. I asked which model and he said it was in the 8700 series.

So, I've been surfing the web trying to find out info about this and that's how I found this forum. I've since been to another Nextel store in another location and the guys in that store had no clue about a new bb insisting that the "new" one was the 7100. Ummm, no thanks. Nothing wrong with it, but I want the new one.

In any case, I caled up Nextel yesterday to modify my plan and casually asked about the new bb and when I could call to order it and the customer service rep didn't know but she put me on hold and asked her supervisors and came back and said that it would be available mid-February.

My husband has the Nextel/Sprint hybrid phone and it works great. No dropped calls, and never a NO SERVICE message. The only thing is that it is ONLY a phone and no bluetooth, no MP3, no internet. My Nextel has all the trimmings but unfortunately since it is not a hybrid, I don't have service most of the day when I am in my house and my calls are dropped throughout the day. Too bad. Nextel USED to be the best. But I am hoping that the reason for the wait is that the new bb will be a hybrid as well.

They should make this common knowledge. I almost dropped Nextel and went over to T-Mobile since they have the bb and the new Dash and all the cool gadgets. AND their service works great in my house. But I will wait for the new bb and check it out. Again, I hope it is a hybrid phone.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:19 PM   #87
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

That's the difference between Nextel and Tmo. Nextel makes products for productivity and TMo makes flashy consumer devices. Just a difference targeted customers.
Don't expect a hybrid BB or any new iDEN BB. All new BB devices will be on CDMA. Once EVDO Rev A is supported in the BB Sprint will release QChat in the devices.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #88
freeloader12345

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

As of Feb. 5 Sprint/Nextel (SN) will be getting a new thinker as to their strategy. What this will bring or intell is unknown. Power Source devices seemes to be the way SN is moving. With these phones being released it gives the impression that Qchat will not be avaliable as soon as people would think. Qchat needs an upgraded network and i myself dont believe the project will be complete in 1 year. SN has said that that D.C and Chicago will be the first cities (i know why). Power Source is going to be a transition allowing load balancing and the ability to release new toys to keep intrest in the market. Will there be a blackberry i suggest so. With the majority of new sales moving to a dual platform the Nextel load should be laxed. You must remember that the footwork has been done. RIM knows what it takes to place a new device on these networks. Both were done with existing models, so why wouldnt they do it again? Some say cost, others say network existance. Truth is money talks!!

Sprint Nextel Names Jack Dziak Senior Vice President of Strategy
Old 01-18-2007, 07:16 PM   #89
cek151
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint

i hope so!!!!!or iam gone from them.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #90
Sesom

Model: 8830

I'm new to this forum and enjoyed the lively discussions. Here's some info to digest:

Everyone reading this thread... southwestcomm knows what he's talking about. Very credible info.

There are about 12 million Nextel customers. iDEN is not going away any time soon. Q-chat is the next generation PTT and will not have the latency issues surrounding competitive PTT entries like Cingular. If you think PTT is old school, look again... take a look at BOOST Mobile's growth. PTT is a very efficient way to communicate, think of it as voice instant messaging. My whole family uses it. I also like the fact that iDEN PTT does not go through the public switched networks... disaster; I'm more likely able to reach my family.

Unlike past Nextel practices (keeping reps in the clouds about new device releases) Sprint provides roadmaps to their sales people. They can not share this info unless customer signs a NDA - non disclosure aggreement.

The new Power Source "hybrid" phones are receiving rave reviews and provide the best of iDEN (PTT) and CDMA (Cell and Data).

As for the next generation PTT Blackberry from Sprint Nextel? Likely will be on the CDMA/EVDO RevA network using Q-Chat with interconnect to iDEN PTT.

Is iDEN dead - no way. Is Sprint going away - no way (fortune 100 company) with money. Is Sprint Nextel going through some tough times - Yes. Mostly on the consumer side (no RAZR KRAZR until now, too many stores), BtoB side of the house is doing very well.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:30 PM   #91
pimp7100i

but like most have said before it does not look like nextel is going to release a new blackberry the 7100i maybe the end of line plus it just got an os update
trust me I dont think sprint will pump nextel a new Blackberry down the pipe ever

PIN:400ED23A
7100i-Nextel
Old 01-20-2007, 07:46 PM   #92
freeloader12345

Last year fewer than 15 million "High-End" phones were sold. This BB, Palm, $300+ market does not provide the revenue most would like to believe. Of this number how many are BB devices (RIM Hardware). The market is limited for BB. They will need all the sales they can muster up, and want them. They moved to the masses with the Pearl. Now what can the give the Construction or Emergency responce type users.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:17 PM   #93
Dollarbill79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: 23EB5210
Carrier: T-Mobile

I just had to go to my Nextel service center to turn in my BB - http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...lackberry.html - and i asked the tech there if they would be coming out with any new BB's for nextel and she said that they are supposed to release three new ones by the end of the year.
AIM:Smirnoff120proof
Old 01-25-2007, 01:28 AM   #94
GTWCS14

Model: 8530
Carrier: Telus
Default ..

Great topic everyone and keep up the chatting but I do personally beleive as much as everyone can debate about this topic the only ones that truly know are those that are in the closed doors that sign the contracts/cheques! They may possibly be browsing this very thread and laughing at us or possibly altering decisions! Who knows.... we will just have to wait and see!
Any questions just ask!
Device:7100i
Old 01-25-2007, 09:58 PM   #95
Ashton
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7510
Carrier: Boost Mobile (nextel prepaid)
Arrow

I for one hope iDEN stays. I have a 7510 (wish like hell I'd found this place first; then I'd have a 7520!) and before that (or alongside it, dep on the circumstance) an i450. I use BoostMobile, which is Nextel (acctually it came from Australia, but that's a moot point) and ALL that BM supports are iDEN phones.

Now, the reason I want to stay wiht boost is simple, I pay $0.20 a minute anytime and $0.10 at night, and for $0.35 a day I get UNLIMITED cellular internet. Not *just* on my phone, but when I plug my phone into my computer, I have unlimited internet there too! you cant find many _landline_ ISPs offering $10 a month internet! (ok, so I can name 5 landline ISPs off the top of myhead, this is still dirt cheep!)

Every other place I look, I have to pay a fee every day just to have the phone active! even if I dont use it! Not only that, but most do NOT offer cellular internet! or if so, it's expensive @ $1 a day or something! Here I pay $10 a month... period! (unless I use a lot of minutes, and even then, it's not $40-$60 a month! (think about it, $1 a day for it to be active is $30 a month, plus $1 a day for cellular internet is $60 a month!))

Granted, this is 14.4kbps, but that's plenty fast to check email and look at soem WAP forums! it's also a great backup if my home DSL goes out (sadly often). Also, I can drive <1 hour and get WiDEN, or when when I go to my grandparents (often monthly) Which means in theory, I should have WiDEN service within the next 5 years. (provided they dont phase out iDEN)

Personaly, I couldn't care less about PTT! I've never used it; my parents are on verizon, my friends are either V or cingular, and my grandparents are on trakfone(...), so I have no use at all for PTT. Hell, you could kill SMS messaging too, I just use data and cell myself.

My only gripe is pricing, really. I want unlimited wireless internet AND a reasonable monthly cost. If boost-nextel goes under, I'm looking at $40 a month just for a PREPAY! I'd be cheeper to go with a monthly plan! (and I dont use 100min a month even...)
Old 02-20-2007, 09:28 PM   #96
PCgirl

Model: iP 4S
Default FYI: Well, it's now mid-February...

and still no new Blackberry.

So, as I posted earlier, sometime late December/early January I went into the Nextel store to get a bb and the sales rep said I shuold definitely wait until the "new" bb comes out in February.

Well, then I called Nextel to follow-up and they confirmed a new bb but if I wanted to order one, I should call back around the 15th of February. So I did -- on the 15th, 16th, 17, 18th. And no one has heard of the new blackberry.

Today we actually went into the store. And now they said that although they don't know anything about a bew bb, we should wait a month for a phone like the Motorola Q which will have the Sprint phone service and also a "push-to-talk" capability which will be compatible with Nextel. I guess he meant a hybrid Q?

The iphone is looking better and better...
Old 02-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #97
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many

iphone...

Not real keyboard
No real Email interface
Apple browser only
No ability to load third-party software

That looks better?

Why not move to a Sprint CDMA BB?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:50 PM   #98
FitzDuffy

Model: 8330

Hybrid with PTT.....

The "Hy Q"

or is that still a poem.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:13 PM   #99
Liquidlink
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 20E220C5

I heard from our Company Nextel Rep that a new BB might be out this summer. Most likely it will be a Hybid since Nextel wants to move people and companies to the CDMA network. THey better allow us to move our service plans or my computer will not move. We have about 40 + phones on the $150 unlimited cell and Direct Connect.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:38 AM   #100
rnwjr
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 40199989
Carrier: NEXTEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl
and still no new Blackberry.

So, as I posted earlier, sometime late December/early January I went into the Nextel store to get a bb and the sales rep said I shuold definitely wait until the "new" bb comes out in February.

Well, then I called Nextel to follow-up and they confirmed a new bb but if I wanted to order one, I should call back around the 15th of February. So I did -- on the 15th, 16th, 17, 18th. And no one has heard of the new blackberry.

Today we actually went into the store. And now they said that although they don't know anything about a bew bb, we should wait a month for a phone like the Motorola Q which will have the Sprint phone service and also a "push-to-talk" capability which will be compatible with Nextel. I guess he meant a hybrid Q?

The iphone is looking better and better...
Hmm how is the Q's push email service now??? I would expect a Blackberry Hybrid soon as it's the logical next step for Sprint and RIM....
Closed Thread