Old 05-16-2006, 07:38 PM   #81
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIM_Next_Door
Your right! I'll just order a Motorola Q and use Active Sync from Microsoft. Much easier, cheaper and I guess reliable.
I am assuming you are joking....
Old 05-17-2006, 12:39 AM   #82
TheMarlboroMan

Model: 8700g
Carrier: AT&T

Obviously he is just bitter cause he got called on the technical table. If he can't figure out zip compression do you think he is going to setup activesync? lol

As one who works on BES and MS ActiveSync technology, neither are easy to setup. ActiveSync can be a real pain to securely pass through firewalls, we use ISA here. To attain the level of security that the BES comes with out of the box, WM5 and activesync becomes very complex.

WM5 is cool technology and has definately come a long way but it's not at the enterprise level yet. We play with it in our dogfood forest where technology is fun and not prodution.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:48 PM   #83
whsbuss

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyJ
I have my evaluation running on XP. No probolems.
Can you give some details how to get BESx to run on an XP machine? I thought it only ran on MS exchange, or Domino.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #84
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
Can you give some details how to get BESx to run on an XP machine? I thought it only ran on MS exchange, or Domino.
The BES Server runs on Windows Operating Systems, the server versions being the officially supported OSs. It integrates with Exchange, Domino or GroupWise enterprise email platforms.

Check out the architecture description at
http://www.blackberry.com/products/e...re/index.shtml
Old 05-20-2006, 06:06 AM   #85
whsbuss

Quote:
The BES Server runs on Windows Operating Systems, the server versions being the officially supported OSs. It integrates with Exchange, Domino or GroupWise enterprise email platforms.

Check out the architecture description at
http://www.blackberry.com/products/e...re/index.shtml
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #86
whsbuss

I would like to setup the BES Express on my home WinXP SP2 desktop computer and integrate it with my mail2web.com exchange account. Can anyone who is using the BES Express comment on if this is a good solution?

- how difficult is the setup process?
- how well does it run on a WinXP computer?
- any other comments/suggestions
Old 06-03-2006, 12:21 PM   #87
WMurray
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I'm doubting that your hosted Exchange provider will give you the necessary permissions on their server.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #88
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMurray
I'm doubting that your hosted Exchange provider will give you the necessary permissions on their server.
If you're only serving your own account, it'll work just fine. Just make sure your local account has the correct permissions on your local XP box.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #89
WMurray

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMurray
If you're only serving your own account, it'll work just fine. Just make sure your local account has the correct permissions on your local XP box.
You're right... I spoke too soon. He'd only need his own store.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:38 PM   #90
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

From mail2web site:

With mail2web.com's BlackBerry Enterprise Server add-on, you can stay in touch from the office or on the road wirelessly through your BlackBerry device. This "push" technology allows you to receive all your important emails and updates directly to your BlackBerry device as they arrive, there's no need to manually initiate a synchronization or even cradle your device for you to receive updates.

They ask $9.95 a month for this service.

Me saying: don't bother with BES Express.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #91
Jared
Urban Outdoorsman

Carrier: T-Mobile

My T-Mob corporate rep told me that with the small business edition you can actually install more CALs that 15 however you may just take a performance hit. Sounds fishy to me, does anyone know about this?

7230 -> 8700 -> 9000 -> 9700
BES Admin (BES Express)
@jarbro
Old 06-08-2006, 08:11 PM   #92
ahintz

Model: none

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but can BES Express be installed on the same server as Exchange? And even if it can, will it provide good performance? I will probably end up supporting 5-6 BlackBerry users.

Currently that server (Windows Server 2003) handles Exchange 2003, Microsoft Business Solutions Great Plains 8, and Backup Express 10. Both Great Plains and Backup Express use SQL Server Desktop Edition instances.

I have had great success supporting Exchange ActiveSync on several WM5 devices, but some of my users refuse to give up their BlackBerries and with this version it has finally become affordable to support. Before I embark on downloading and installing though, it would be helpful to know if I should plan on procuring more hardware first.

Thanks in advance.

--Andrew
Old 06-08-2006, 11:15 PM   #93
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz
Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but can BES Express be installed on the same server as Exchange? And even if it can, will it provide good performance? I will probably end up supporting 5-6 BlackBerry users.
I'm not sure on this but I think RIM will support it on the Exchange server if it is less then 15 users, anything more then that and they will ask you to move it to new hardware (cut over)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz
Currently that server (Windows Server 2003) handles Exchange 2003, Microsoft Business Solutions Great Plains 8, and Backup Express 10. Both Great Plains and Backup Express use SQL Server Desktop Edition instances.
You will most likley want to install a new named instanced of MSDE for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. If you ever remove backup express it may also remove the named instance and take down the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. I would recommned calling the named instance BES

Download MSDE2000a.exe from MS and edit the setup.ini file for the following:

[Options]
SAPWD="blackberry"
SECURITYMODE=SQL
INSTANCENAME="BES"

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Ash
Old 06-14-2006, 07:56 PM   #94
RIM_Next_Door
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: 1

When installing on a W2K machine, I get almost done the installation, to the point where it asks for the licensing information, and it accepts (goes out and checks it and says my license is good).

Where I get stopped is it is telling me MAPI is not setup. I read the manual and it says if you have a MAPI error at the point I do, run an application...
Enable MAPI profiles
>To initialize the Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) subsystem, open the Microsoft Exchange 2000 or Microsoft Exchange 2003 System Manager.

Note: If MAPI is not present after completing this step, you might need to run a tool that enables the BlackBerry Enterprise Server installation to facilitate MAPI profile creation and editing. See “Resolving issues during the installation process” on page 28 for more information.

Anyways, I run this application with not avail. Is there something I need to load to make MAPI work on a W2K Professional box? Countless people have told me that it works on W2K and WXP-PRO.

Any responders?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:24 AM   #95
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Quote:
When installing on a W2K machine, I get almost done the installation, to the point where it asks for the licensing information, and it accepts (goes out and checks it and says my license is good).

Where I get stopped is it is telling me MAPI is not setup. I read the manual and it says if you have a MAPI error at the point I do, run an application...
Enable MAPI profiles
>To initialize the Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) subsystem, open the Microsoft Exchange 2000 or Microsoft Exchange 2003 System Manager.

Note: If MAPI is not present after completing this step, you might need to run a tool that enables the BlackBerry Enterprise Server installation to facilitate MAPI profile creation and editing. See “Resolving issues during the installation process” on page 28 for more information.

Anyways, I run this application with not avail. Is there something I need to load to make MAPI work on a W2K Professional box? Countless people have told me that it works on W2K and WXP-PRO.

Any responders?

Thanks.
You need to make sure to install the Exchange System Manager tools from your Exchange CD. After it is installed on the W2K box make sure the version of the file called mapi32.dll is the same as your Exchange server.

My BlackBerry GPS Golf Application | Mileage Calculator
Old 06-15-2006, 04:14 PM   #96
RIM_Next_Door
Thumbs Must Hurt

Do you know where on the CD it is located? I have the Exchange CD but don't see any application that represents teh System Manager application. I tell you RIM, does not explain that very well in the manual they provided.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:16 PM   #97
RIM_Next_Door
Thumbs Must Hurt

MPConfigApp.EXE

Is that it?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:44 PM   #98
MedEdGuy

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Do you know where on the CD it is located? I have the Exchange CD but don't see any application that represents teh System Manager application. I tell you RIM, does not explain that very well in the manual they provided.
It's not actually a separate install. Just startup the Exchange setup program, and you can select the Exchange manager in the custom setup screen.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:42 PM   #99
RIM_Next_Door
Thumbs Must Hurt

I found it, thanks.

Now it's telling me I have to install "Windows Management Tool" before I can install the "Exchange Management Tool." A search of Microsoft.com has proven to bring up nothing. No one seems to know what I'm talking about, but it's a warning box that pops up and tells me it can't continue.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:39 PM   #100
umop episdn

Model: None

Quote:
I found it, thanks.

Now it's telling me I have to install "Windows Management Tool" before I can install the "Exchange Management Tool." A search of Microsoft.com has proven to bring up nothing. No one seems to know what I'm talking about, but it's a warning box that pops up and tells me it can't continue.
Can you post a screen shot of this message?
Closed Thread