BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #61
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

As a Blackberry user since the 850, I can honestly say that I will have the iPhone in my pocket the day it comes out. Coincidentally, that same day I will be posting an auction on ebay for a used Blackberry Pearl 8100.

Am I a Mac user? Yes. That statement alone will disqualify my opinion in the eyes of 80% of the people reading this post. However, the reason I am so willing to jump on the iPhone sight unseen is because if there's one thing that permeates through every Apple product, it's the UI. Have they had their share of flops? Absolutely. But, the products that failed for them had nothing to do with the UI, it was more the physical design (the Mac Cube comes to mind).

I have full and absolute confidence that the UI on the iPhone will allow me to use it's features and functions to their full potential. Features and functions, mind you, that can be found on the phone I have now. However, these current features and functions are to convoluted in their execution for me to use with any type of regularity (or at all for that matter). I will be able to do things with seamless ease that I never would have done before. How do I know this? Fire up Windows and try to edit a movie in Movie Maker. Then, try it in iMovie.

Remember, Apple didn't invent the portable music player, they just perfected it. I think they'll do the same for the cell phone.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #62
brfilora
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlevine
I will be able to do things with seamless ease that I never would have done before. How do I know this? Fire up Windows and try to edit a movie in Movie Maker. Then, try it in iMovie.

Remember, Apple didn't invent the portable music player, they just perfected it. I think they'll do the same for the cell phone.

touché Jon Levine...touché

I agree entirely...Mac has pefected the User Interface (This coming from a lifetime windows user mind you)

If you read that article from NYT, it's web-browsing capabilites sound SICK!
Very Seamless Indeed...

Has no one on here read or posted this yet??
The Apple iPhone runs OS X - Engadget

From what this says the iPhone's touchscreen WILL be much more accurate and reliable than your standard touch-screen (Accelerometer??)
-Ignores un-intended touches
-Multi-finger gestures (ie the capabilities for the web cited in the NYT article)

It's also showing that it WILL have Push e-mail (though only with Yahoo?? I'm unclear on that)

Don't get me wrong I love my pearl, but GOD that thing looks SO cool...

If that phone were coming out with Tmo as opposed to Cingular...I'd definately be putting away $100 a month for the next 6 months!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #63
sonybuff

I remember when the Boastful Steve said some time ago “Who needs video in an iPod?”. So he said yesterday: “Who needs a stylus?”. However, despite the state-of-the art Multi-Touch system, it would be nice if iPhone had the writing recognition soft/app (via stylus) as the original Newton did. Overall nice gadget. Reminds me though of Pearl sans keyboard. Instead of forcing us into Cingy he should sell Apple SIM Cards to get an instant connection via other carriers as well...
Old 01-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #64
sneakypure

Carrier: Tmobile

been following for a while, new to site. first post

i can't post the link cuz im new. but go to youtube and do a search for this

Steve Jobs on Nightline 1/10/07

that'll bring it up
here is a link of steve jobs talking about the iphone on nightline. also shows the only 3 that are in existence right now. the interface does look good and it'll sell simply because it's sleek and it's apple.

also you can look right now because of this rim stock down lik 7.8 percent and apples went up 8 percent.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #65
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c

Idk if anyone has mentioned this or not, but Cisco Systems has had the iphone name reserved for quite sometime. Idk if Apple made an agreement with them or what, if not the **** is gonna hit the fan.

8100c
Old 01-10-2007, 08:05 PM   #66
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonbomb1987
Idk if anyone has mentioned this or not, but Cisco Systems has had the iphone name reserved for quite sometime. Idk if Apple made an agreement with them or what, if not the **** is gonna hit the fan.

8100c
Just In:

SAN FRANCISCO -- Cisco Systems Inc. on Wednesday sued Apple Inc., claiming that the maker of computers and media players doesn't have permission to name its newest device the iPhone.

Cisco has owned the trademark for "iPhone" since 2000, the result of its purchase of InfoGear, which owned the trademark previously. Since December, Cisco's wireless division, Linksys, has been shipping a family of cordless and wireless phones under the iPhone brand.

Late Wednesday, Cisco asked a U.S. District Court judge for Northern California to order Apple not to use the name for a device that it introduced on Tuesday during an annual trade show.

Apple intends to begin selling its iPhone sometime in June, which provides a five-month cushion for both sides to reach some kind of settlement. Should that not happen, the suit could impact sales of the device.
The lawsuit follows years of negotiations between the two companies, which continued even as Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs was introducing the iPhone Tuesday during the Macworld show in San Francisco.

Cisco took the iPhone's introduction as a sign that Apple had agreed to Cisco's terms for use of the trademark. In a statement issued Tuesday, Cisco said that it suspected Apple had agreed to terms, and was expecting to hear from the company later that day.

But the paperwork never arrived, a Cisco spokesman said Wednesday.
"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," Mark Chandler, Cisco's senior vice president and general counsel, said in a statement. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without permission."

An Apple spokesman didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 01-10-2007 at 08:07 PM..
Old 01-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #67
SanFrancisco

Rumor has it that Steve did in fact try to call Cisco about it, but his Newton 2.0, er..... excuse me.... his iPhone malfunctioned.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #68
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Rumor has it that Steve did in fact try to call Cisco about it, but his Newton 2.0, er..... excuse me.... his iPhone malfunctioned. http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/anilaughing.gif
your sooooo funny san francisco i'm rolling on the floor laughing... hilarious you should be a comedian. quite the stand up act if you ask me. *rolls eyes* the article i read said Apple's lawyers dropped the ball that they had an agreement but had yet to sign and return it to cisco.

oh and as for the keys atleast it's not suretype (or wrong type with it's constant confusion on which would you actualy want) and the new 8800 keys don't look all that BIG or spaced.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #69
wingrove
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I do think the in built battery is a mistake but yes this will definately be a big kick in the pants to the other phone makers and as windows has benefited from all apples innovations over the years no doubt we will all benefit from the release of this ground breaker. BIG bugger is th news that we wont see it downunder here til 2008!! so plenty of time till my pearl is looking shaky
Old 01-10-2007, 09:32 PM   #70
stealthx32
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8220

Whoops. Apparently I didn't hit refresh.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:33 AM   #71
SanFrancisco

With all the negative reviews and comments the iPhone is receiving throughout the Net, I hereby declare the iPhone is no longer worthy of discussion and will be DOA in June.

Therefore, may this thread RIP.

Love your Pearl, love it often.

The iPhone's MP3 siren song ain't a playin on my Pearl.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #72
heylove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I have a BlackBerry, I have an iPod. I'm good...
Old 01-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #73
wirelesscott
Knows Where the Search Button Is

iPhone will win - I have no question about that. I am very frustrated by the UI of Palm, Windows, BlackBerry and know that OS X is the interface that will actually work.

Lise other who switch to Apple OS X, those who afford to try the iPhone will become "enlightened".
Old 01-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #74
mctommy

Good looking toy.

The Ugly: No removable battery, no external media, nice screen + thin = what battery life, Cingular, Cingular $30 data plan,

Even if their new touchscreen is awesome, smudges, grease, and scratches will ruin this beauty.

One of my old ipod touchpad (3g) died because of my greasy fingers... and no I wasn't eating KFC while playing with my ipod.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #75
Sirius_GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple85
your sooooo funny san francisco i'm rolling on the floor laughing... hilarious you should be a comedian. quite the stand up act if you ask me. *rolls eyes* the article i read said Apple's lawyers dropped the ball that they had an agreement but had yet to sign and return it to cisco.

oh and as for the keys atleast it's not suretype (or wrong type with it's constant confusion on which would you actualy want) and the new 8800 keys don't look all that BIG or spaced.
Wrongtype? Obviously you've never used a 8100.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #76
archer6

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

iPhone... i What?.. i Magic?.. Yes that's what Steve said, here's the quote: "It works like magic".

i cannot imagine this challenging anything in the mobile phone space for quite some time. Apparently these folks agree. Click the Link and You can see too.

iPhone

While we are all enjoying the reliability, functionality and stability of our BlackBerry's NOW, the only interesting aspect of the iPhone for me, is following the "Magic" Story....
Old 01-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #77
Xyvern

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Apple might not be able to keep the name iPhone as they have been sued by Cisco. Besides this, iPhone has no 3G capability and it looks huge.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:54 PM   #78
GregH-BBPearl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Why iphone will not do as well as they want!

It's really simple in my mind. What is the biggest newest thing in cell phones? I mean besides us here who use the push email and btw it can't be beat. TEXT MESSAGING!!
That's right, the biggest thing going on cell phones is unlimited text messaging millions are using it. Now ask your self if people now freak out about getting used to qwerty key boards what do you think is going to happen when they actually have to wait out software driven touch screen to type? Nope I'm sorry touch screen might be nice for a few but will NEVER take over the cell phone industry.
Bottom line right now the two top things in new cell phone technology are push email and trackball. Pearl has them both.
I hear iphone will hook up with some type of yahoo push message that lets you know about email. That does not come close to blackberry "push" and nothing so far is able to do so.
I laugh all the time at my buddies that have windows based email on thier cell phones. Because they always have to plug in somewhere for some more power!

hahaha

Last edited by GregH-BBPearl; 01-11-2007 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 01-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #79
GMK

Carrier: TMO

Text messaging. Very good point and you are right on target that that is the hotbutton item with cell phones, especially in the market group that this phone will appeal to.

I may have missed it in the fotos and chat about the iPhone but has anyone seen what the touchscreen qwerty keypad looks like? On my Pearl, I'm a one hander and if I need to use both, it may be a deal breaker.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:48 AM   #80
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
Carrier: t-mobile

for anyone thinking you can just unlock and it'll work on other carriers, read this: Apple went to great lengths to keep iPhone a secret - Jan. 10, 2007

it won't be possible to use it on any carrier by default as it requires some infrastructure changes, ie. even if you could get past any simlock you couldnt just drop a sim from another carrier with a dataplan and have all (if any, depends on how locked down it is) the features work.