Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #61
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac
Add this to the growing list of 3rd party applications that do not work on my 8100. Others, Ramble, Yak-on, BB Weather, and I am sure the list will just get longer. The problem is even though I have my TCP settings set to wap.voicestream.com none of them work. Very frustrating. Have called T-Mo and they have checked and re-checked my account, provisioning etc. They claim all is well, but I kind of doubt it.
i believe that mini opera actually contacts the opera servers.... i sometimes lose all connection to opera browser... few minutes later it is working fine.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:05 AM   #62
paulmac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Storm
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by krad
i believe that mini opera actually contacts the opera servers.... i sometimes lose all connection to opera browser... few minutes later it is working fine.
Thanks for the response, but I think they use TCP\APN settings, see below from the opera mini help site

If Opera Mini is unable to connect to the Internet, you will need to set up an appropriate access point on your phone. Opera Mini normally uses an Internet or WAP access point to connect to the Internet. If your phone is not yet configured to use either an Internet or WAP access point, you should configure one now. An Internet access point is usually preferred if possible.

Not sure what's up but cannot get any app that requires an APN site to work on my 8100. I can get to WAP sites. But things like Ramble, Yak-on, Opera, do not work. Have called T-mo, verified my plan, and provisioning etc. Even wiped and re-installed the OS on my 8100, same thing. I have to believe that in the area I am in (upstate NY) T-mo towers are not set up as APN nodes. Did find one thing on the opera help site, suggested setting the APN to internet2.voicestream.com, but that did not work either.

Not sure but got nothing to loose, wonder what would happen if I set up my TCP to use the Cingular APN? That always worked when I had Cingular in my area.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:20 AM   #63
krad
No longer Registered.

Yes, i can read below... but i don't think the application is actually going to those sites.. i think it is first being redirected to opera servers....

in the way beginning of opera mini, it was released only in specific areas, areas where their servers were... you were able to download the application but it never worked, you were blocked by region.....

I am not sure if they went away from that model, i would tend to think not, if your getting rendered images and pages on crappy phones like a razr or worse...

Like i said, i have a full signal sometimes and it just goes nowhere... other times it is zippy. I am 25 minutes from nyc... so it probably should be better if they have servers there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac
Thanks for the response, but I think they use TCP\APN settings, see below from the opera mini help site

If Opera Mini is unable to connect to the Internet, you will need to set up an appropriate access point on your phone. Opera Mini normally uses an Internet or WAP access point to connect to the Internet. If your phone is not yet configured to use either an Internet or WAP access point, you should configure one now. An Internet access point is usually preferred if possible.

Not sure what's up but cannot get any app that requires an APN site to work on my 8100. I can get to WAP sites. But things like Ramble, Yak-on, Opera, do not work. Have called T-mo, verified my plan, and provisioning etc. Even wiped and re-installed the OS on my 8100, same thing. I have to believe that in the area I am in (upstate NY) T-mo towers are not set up as APN nodes. Did find one thing on the opera help site, suggested setting the APN to internet2.voicestream.com, but that did not work either.

Not sure but got nothing to loose, wonder what would happen if I set up my TCP to use the Cingular APN? That always worked when I had Cingular in my area.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:28 AM   #64
paulmac

I am familiar with Opera Mini, used to use it on my 8700 through Cingular, just does not want to work on my 8100. I did try the older version, and the now the new version, both are a no go. Will keep it installed on my 8100, maybe someday it will just start working. But for now, other than that one, I am avoiding any app that requires APN, since none of them seem to work in my area. At least for now.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:39 PM   #65
2Curious
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMo USA
Default Setup finally completed w/o error, working now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoreyes
LO19 here is the fix for it
I was getting the same error connecting after install. Changed the APN to wap.voicestream.com, pulled battery, after reset, still same error. This was 3 days ago. I've retried daily with same error.

Tried today to change APN to internet2.voicestream.com for the heck of it to see if any change. Still nothing.
Decided to change it back to wap.voicestream.com, pulled battery, and tried again, and low-and-behold, voila !! Setup Finished fine, connected now.

I don't understand at all why it works now, but didn't before.
I'm on T-Mobile in South Florida if that helps any.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:49 PM   #66
ejmccartin

Carrier: T-Mobile

I know this sounds really basic, but you have to abs-o-luutely sure the APN is typed correctly. I agonized for days trying to get opera to work, tried everything I could think of. somehow there was a space at the end of my wap.voicestream.com line. it was invisible and don't ask me how I found it, but when I took it out everything worked just fine. I do like this beta version, but not sure I want to make the effort to use it everytime I go on the web. I would love the option to make it the default browser tho.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:02 PM   #67
redrim
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

I wasn't able to get opera beta 2 working properly, but beta 3 works great!
Old 11-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #68
paulmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmccartin
I know this sounds really basic, but you have to abs-o-luutely sure the APN is typed correctly. I agonized for days trying to get opera to work, tried everything I could think of. somehow there was a space at the end of my wap.voicestream.com line. it was invisible and don't ask me how I found it, but when I took it out everything worked just fine. I do like this beta version, but not sure I want to make the effort to use it everytime I go on the web. I would love the option to make it the default browser tho.
You sir are a genius, that was it. And how I found it in case anyone else has this problem is I went to the line below and "scrolled" back up, and noticed that the cursor stoped with a space between the m at the end of .com and where it was flashing. Removed the space, told it to save, and now mini opera works. Thank you very much for posting this
Old 11-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #69
sowhynot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Okay - really stupid newbie question: where do I find the Opera browser after I've installed it. Is it in the applications? Or do I just choose it as the emulation mode in the browser configuration? I'm assuming it's openwave gateway?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:19 PM   #70
sowhynot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Duh -- nevermind I found it. I swear that icon didn't show up a minute ago.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:43 AM   #71
PaulQ

Model: 9550

Wow - this is indeed an improvement! I can even access Flickr on my Pearl with reasonably good results. I mean, how much can you expect from such a tiny screen - but it works!

I know this is beta but is the final version free? I've never used Opera before.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:19 AM   #72
krad
No longer Registered.

seems to be getting better and better....

make sure especially on sites like wap... wap.blackberry.com to check for wireless settings... you can filter out alot of stuff via websites and not specifically on the actual browser.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #73
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

Any way to know when the official version comes out? Doesn't the beta go byebye once it's no longer beta, and you have to start over?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #74
harryzuluberries

Model: 9630
PIN: DUPONT FIFTH AVENUE LARGE ORPHEO ROLLERBALL
Carrier: the Titanic

loving this new beta!!!!!! like it more than the bb browser....ALMOST! i can't access my banking with wells fargo from opera. only from the bb browser in ie emulation mode. ah well. nonetheless, it renders web pages beautifully on the bb!

7510>7520>7100i>8830>8330>9630
Old 11-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #75
jrdul6748
Thumbs Must Hurt

When I go to beta.mini.opera.com, it doesn't seem like it's taking me to the Beta 3 download, but the current stable one... Anyone else get this vibe? I just don't want to install version 2...
Old 11-15-2006, 03:35 PM   #76
brmcguire

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular

I really like the Opera Mini Beta. I really have not used Opera in the past, but I like the approach to the Start Page. Nothing earth shattering, but it works great. Opera Mini renders pages better then the built in BB Browser. I am sure there are pages out there it might struggle with.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:56 PM   #77
redrim

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmcguire
I really like the Opera Mini Beta. I really have not used Opera in the past, but I like the approach to the Start Page. Nothing earth shattering, but it works great. Opera Mini renders pages better then the built in BB Browser. I am sure there are pages out there it might struggle with.
I'm still mixed. The start page is awesome! The blackberry browser still does things better (especially with MDS), but I've seen better results with the opera browser on a few pages. I don't like how it transports you to a new screen for inputting field data (feels a little awkward)
Old 11-15-2006, 10:45 PM   #78
diddyb

Carrier: tmobile

Nice!!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:53 PM   #79
diddyb

Carrier: tmobile

Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.5849/1438; en; U; ssr))

And now from the wap.blackberryforums.com site.... SWEET!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:13 PM   #80
jrdul6748
Thumbs Must Hurt

Can anyone hook me up with Opera 3b? After I went to beta.mini.opera.com, I checked the address and it redirects me to the normal Opera Mini WAP page... :( Can anyone confirm this for me please? Ahhh... I want this.