Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 01:04 AM   #61
wpwren
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8350i
PIN: needles
Carrier: Nextel

Please Login to Remove!

I just down loaded this and found the set up pretty straight forward which is good for me. I like it so far for the amount of time I've been playing with it. I've been using weather eye up to this point but it might have to go.

Very nice, nice job...I hope you can continue to improve upon it
Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #62
Hanwei
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.new View Post
Very very nice! Is the app gentle on your battery? Thanks
I haven't noticed any extra drain on the battery so far... but I'll have a better idea later tonight as I won't have played with the storm so much today compared to yesterday.

Side note: everything is still working well! Sweetness.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #63
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
From the text file referenced in Tateu's first post:
Yes, I read that first off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
Not buttons, but shortcuts are easier than menu>forecast, etc...
Yes, I certainly prefer keyboard shortcuts where feasible. But, you haven't used a Storm have you? We prefer the nice large screen real estate to be consumed by app data, not the keyboard.

@Tateu -- It's not a major deal, as I said on the wish list. But having the buttons at the bottom of the each screen (Current Conditions, Forecast and Hourly) for any model would be fine. A trackball device could scroll to and click, while a Storm user could press and click.

Last edited by JSanders; 02-24-2009 at 09:40 AM..
Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #64
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanwei View Post
I haven't noticed any extra drain on the battery so far... but I'll have a better idea later tonight as I won't have played with the storm so much today compared to yesterday.

Side note: everything is still working well! Sweetness.
I have been using v .081 since its release - it has the hourly forecast and the icon information (temp/conditions)... and have noticed no battery drain. I also have the Seido 2600 mhA extended battery in my Curve - and use no more than 10-15% of my battery per day. As always, YMMV.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #65
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Agreed. BBWeather has to poll to update which takes battery power but nothing out of the ordinary

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 02-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #66
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Yes, I read that first off.

Yes, I certainly prefer keyboard shortcuts where feasible. But, you haven't used a Storm have you? We prefer the nice large screen real estate to be consumed by app data, not the keyboard.
Ooooh... got me. Obviously, I have not ever used a Storm, and NOW I understand your point... (note to self: think it through before responding )
Old 02-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #67
tbhuang2

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Wow.. I must say, this is a GREAT step up from the original. I'm so glad someone satisfied my need for hourly forecasting!
Unfortunately, I have a Pearl 8130 with a resolution of 240x260 so the Hourly Forecast screen doesn't fit all of the information. I can read the hour and an icon of the condition but the temperature numbers are cut off and I can't read them. This is what it looks like:

As you can see, the Hourly Forecast is quite useless for me...
Actually, the Current Conditions gets cut off as well. Oddly enough, the Forecast screen for the next few days is flawless (nothing cut off at all, everything perfectly readable)!

2 suggestions:
-It would be useful to allow for the option to go to Hourly Forecast by default instead of Current Conditions.
-I have the Hourly Forecast get the next 24 hours. When it goes from 11pm to 12am, it would be convenient to show the next day's date. Example: 10pm, 11pm, then 12am 2/25/09, 1am, etc.

Can't wait for the next release!!
-Threaded SMS

Last edited by tbhuang2; 02-24-2009 at 01:43 PM..
Old 02-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #68
mikadad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

this is great!!! just deleted weathereye and weather bug from my Bold...yay!!! keep up the great work
Old 02-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #69
stepchild
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhuang2 View Post
Wow.. I must say, this is a GREAT step up from the original. I'm so glad someone satisfied my need for hourly forecasting!
Unfortunately, I have a Pearl 8130 with a resolution of 240x260 so the Hourly Forecast screen doesn't fit all of the information. I can read the hour and an icon of the condition but the temperature numbers are cut off and I can't read them. This is what it looks like:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu:443/tbhuan...eather8130.JPG

As you can see, the Hourly Forecast is quite useless for me...
Actually, the Current Conditions gets cut off as well. Oddly enough, the Forecast screen for the next few days is flawless (nothing cut off at all, everything perfectly readable)!

2 suggestions:
-It would be useful to allow for the option to go to Hourly Forecast by default instead of Current Conditions.
-I have the Hourly Forecast get the next 24 hours. When it goes from 11pm to 12am, it would be convenient to show the next day's date. Example: 10pm, 11pm, then 12am 2/25/09, 1am, etc.

Can't wait for the next release!!
If you change the font, will that work?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #70
Pink2
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am using this on a Bold. I LOVE IT!!! This is exactly what I have been looking for and I am able to get my location!!!!! Thanks so much!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #71
tbhuang2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchild View Post
If you change the font, will that work?
Well, changing the font only affects the Homescreen Icon Font, not the font within the program.

At the time of my first post, I did not notice the option to change Relative Font Size. I have to lower it all the way to -8 to see everything, and then it is verrry small
It would be great if there was an option to either 1) change the font used in the forecasts (BBMillbankTall is the most space efficient), or 2) see only High/low and %precipitation, or any user-defined combination of information.

I suppose my only issues are common only to other Pearl users
-Threaded SMS
Old 02-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #72
vndlewis

Carrier: Verizon

I too have the pearl and agree hourly doesn't work.

I wish I could get the weather alerts too like weather bug. If hourly gets fixed and alerts added then I can get rid of weathereye and weatherbug.

Thanks for the awesome app.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #73
tbhuang2

Wow, thank you so much for today's update. The only thing I have left to ask for is the option to choose which weather info (Current Conditions, Forecast, or Hourly Conditions) the app starts with when opened. Whenever I hit the ESC key or the hang up key, it will always return to the Current Conditions screen...

Oh, and just so you know, whenever the Base Font Size changes, the font in the Options screen changes as well (in an exaggerated amount).
-Threaded SMS

Last edited by tbhuang2; 02-25-2009 at 12:02 AM..
Old 02-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #74
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Yep, this new BBWeather is great!!

I just loaded the .84 version on my 8900 and all is well for me except for on the "Current Conditions" screen there is no way to get the text small enough for everything to fit on the screen without scrolling sideways.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:15 AM   #75
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vndlewis View Post
I too have the pearl and agree hourly doesn't work.

I wish I could get the weather alerts too like weather bug. If hourly gets fixed and alerts added then I can get rid of weathereye and weatherbug.

Thanks for the awesome app.
That's odd ... on my 8100 (running the BBWeather alpha) the hourly page works fairly well.

+1 on the tremendous work to make this program so much better than the original!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture23_0_33.jpg (18.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #76
tateu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhuang2 View Post
Wow, thank you so much for today's update. The only thing I have left to ask for is the option to choose which weather info (Current Conditions, Forecast, or Hourly Conditions) the app starts with when opened. Whenever I hit the ESC key or the hang up key, it will always return to the Current Conditions screen...

Oh, and just so you know, whenever the Base Font Size changes, the font in the Options screen changes as well (in an exaggerated amount).
The default starting screen is easy to add. I'll put it on my list of things to do but unless I get a BIG burst of energy, don't expect any new changes to be made for several days.

Are you sure the options screen font changes "in an exaggerated amount?" It should (and is on my Bold) the exact fonts size specified.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:49 AM   #77
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateu View Post
The default starting screen is easy to add. I'll put it on my list of things to do but unless I get a BIG burst of energy, don't expect any new changes to be made for several days.

Are you sure the options screen font changes "in an exaggerated amount?" It should (and is on my Bold) the exact fonts size specified.
I'd also like to see the Hourly forecast added to the 'space bar' rotation. Could you cycle through the screens like: Current Conditions -> Forecast -> Hourly Forecast -> Current Conditions?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:10 AM   #78
tbhuang2

Quote:
The difference from size 8 to 9 seems awfully large but maybe it's just me.

For those with the 8100 models, I find that the best font for Hourly Weather is BBAlpha Serif at size 8. Very clear, readable and a good balance of size.
-Threaded SMS

Last edited by tbhuang2; 02-25-2009 at 01:13 AM..
Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #79
tateu

Quote:
don't expect any new changes to be made for several days.
I lied...Woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't fall back asleep, so...

http://www.tateu.net/software/bb.php?f=BBWeather_alpha
http://www.tateu.net/software/BBWeather_alpha.txt

For the Pearl: in the simulator with a font size of 7 (BBAlpha Sans) and "Hourly Forecast Display" set to "Text + icons 3" all of the data fits on the screen with this new version.

V0.84 Beta 2009-02-25 05:23:50 PST
* On Current conditions screen, moved temperature fields below the icon field
--This should create a little more room for Pearl devices
* Pressing the Space bar now cycles through all three weather screens
--Current Conditions -> Forecast -> Hourly Forecast -> Current Conditions
* Added option to set default screen that runs when you first load the program
* When you open BBWeather, if there are no Weather Profiles it automatically opens the Add Location screen
* Changed 30 second delay before weather is downloaded when device first boots to 15 seconds

V0.84 Beta 2009-02-24 18:52:14 PST
* Changed 60 second delay before weather is downloaded when device first boots to 30 seconds
* Changed "Relative Font Size" to "Base Font Size." Relative was determined by your system font size. "Base Font Size" is now the default font size for the Weather screens
* Added option for "Weather Font." This allows you to change the font used on the weather screens.
* Added a new Hourly Forecast screen option "Text + Icons 3" which splits the weather info on 3 lines.
--This might fit better on Pearl devices.
* Added dates to the Hourly Forecast screen
* Added option to set the homscreen icon description
* Changed font size of the options screen to the same as "Base Font Size"
Old 02-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #80
rone

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

The app looks great! I loaded it up on my 8900 for short time and did not find any issues with the app.

The issue I do have is the source for weather info. The Weather Channel can not get the weather right here in SE Wisconsin. It was showing the temp about 5 degrees higher than any other source I checked. I checked Weather Bug direct, Weather Eye, and Weather Underground. Weather Underground always does much better at giving current conditions and forecasts for my area than the Weather Channel.

I know this is not the fault of the app. I appreciate all the work that has been put into the app. I would love to use this app but the fact that it relies on the Weather Channel makes that impractical for me.
Closed Thread