Old 07-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #61
nicu2001
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezmfnutz
I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. The set-up is VERY simple. You really only NEED one filter and that is this one:
---
Matches: in:inbox
Do this: Forward to [email address]
---
Which I described earlier. Any other filters you implement are for your own satisfaction and organization style. The other filter that is useful is a sent mail filter. In order to implement this you must go into your BIS/BWC account and select the option to forward sent messages to your gmail account then add the following filter:
---
Matches: from:(xxx@yyy.zzz) Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "BLACKBERRY SENT"
---

Where [email address] is the email address that you have set-up for your blackberry from: header. By default this would be [email address] However using the BIS/BWC you can change this to whatever you please e.g. [email address] or [email address] etc etc. The key is that the address in the gmail filter MUST match the address of your BIS/BWC from: field. The addition of the sent wirelessly via Blackberry from T-mobile. Is just an additional modifier so that only my sent mail from my blackberry goes in the blackberry sent filter.

Other than those 2 filters you do not NEED anything else. It should work like a charm. Give it a try if you have any questions or problems please post in this thread for the benefit of everyone who is reading it.
Hello,

I have followed these directions as well as the other outline given later on in this thread. Everything seems to be working, my gmail forwards to my blackbery, and when I reply to anything on my blackberry it sends a copy to gmail, etc. I am having one problem though... when I reply on my blackberry and it sends the copy to gmail, the filter works and it skips inbox and goes to my "blackberry sent" label, but that reply I made from the blackberry bounces back to my blackberry as a forward from gmail... any idea as to why and how I could avoid this? Also, if I have an email conversation going, it will archive the whole thing on gmail in the blackberry sent label. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #62
jwaters
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

To get it so it would not forward sent email to my BB I had to also set up my BWC filter. I put a filter on BWC that if the content had my sig that it would not forward it to the BB. Nothing else worked for me, I was also getting my sent email sent to me on my BB. Once I added that filter in the BWC I no longer get mail sent from my BB sent back to me.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:31 PM   #63
Rip2632

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Mike,

Do you have the second filter set so the "Has these words" text box has "Sent from Verizon Wireless Blackberry" or words to that effect? I think that's the only way to keep them from being bounced back; Gmail sees BOTH conditions and keeps it in the sent folder, and doesn't bounce it back. If that is NOT the problem, I'm at a loss...
Old 07-02-2005, 09:11 PM   #64
nicu2001

I did have a filter set to not forward if it included the words Sent Wirelessly via BlackBerry from Sprint, but the problem is, if I email someone, and they reply to me with the message content included, it won't forward the reply to me because it will include my sig... know what I mean? Do I just have to deal with all of my replies being forwarded to myself?
Old 07-02-2005, 11:37 PM   #65
jwaters

I know what you are saying, but I just tested my setup, and although it seems as though you would be right, I do get the reply back even if they use the quoted text.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:29 PM   #66
deezmfnutz

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicu2001
I did have a filter set to not forward if it included the words Sent Wirelessly via BlackBerry from Sprint, but the problem is, if I email someone, and they reply to me with the message content included, it won't forward the reply to me because it will include my sig... know what I mean? Do I just have to deal with all of my replies being forwarded to myself?
God is in the details I am sure your filters are set-up wrong. Look again at the filter below. I bet you omitted the primary qualifier of FROM: email addy.

----
Matches: from:(you@atyourdomain.com) Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "BLACKBERRY SENT"
----

There are two parameters used in this filter. You are filtering by TEXT AND BY FROM: email addy (which is YOUR address) That way even if the Sent wirelessly is in someone else's email it WILL not skip the inbox IT HAS TO BE FROM: you in order to skip the inbox.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:37 PM   #67
deezmfnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaters
I know what you are saying, but I just tested my setup, and although it seems as though you would be right, I do get the reply back even if they use the quoted text.

Come on, it does not seem as though he would be right!

You set your filter properly with the Sent from text and FROM: qualifier, so it works. He did not, so it doesn't. Simple.

FYI - Obviously this has worked like a charm for me for the past 6 weeks since I got my blackberry. Not a single problem. Works super FAST and keeps an archive of all of my mail. I do not use a POP client so I will not comment on POP client interfacing with GMAIL, although I assume it would be pretty standard.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:16 PM   #68
rsun
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: at&t/T-Mobile/Verizon

Has anyone looked at the instructions that BlackBerry wrote for the web client?

http://www.blackberry.com/support/client/index.shtml

As others have said, and I agree, the web client is working perfectly for me and I'm using both BIS and a BES.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:24 PM   #69
jwaters

Yeah, wasn't thinking about the fact that both the qualifiers would have to be present for it not to send it to the BB. I'm just glad I got it working finally. I love the fact that the replies post correctly in gmail when I post from the BB. Between that and the spam filter it was worth the effort to finally get it right.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:39 PM   #70
Rip2632

Incidentally, you don't HAVE to use "Sent wirelessly via blah blah blah" You can use anything that will allow Gmail to differentiate and sort. BUT, you have to make sure that, in the list of filters, the one with your new sig. (whatever you make it) is AHEAD of the in:inbox filter. Weird, but I tried everything until I figured out it HAS to be in that order...
Old 07-04-2005, 04:24 AM   #71
wbassman

Default Chill

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemn
This last message has nothing to do with blackberries.. its about an email client and making it "recieve emails sent after I open the application" or something..
The guy is excited about getting answers that he can't get from anywhere else. Whether it's Gmail or not it's a very good question and has been resolved.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:58 PM   #72
nicu2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip2632
Incidentally, you don't HAVE to use "Sent wirelessly via blah blah blah" You can use anything that will allow Gmail to differentiate and sort. BUT, you have to make sure that, in the list of filters, the one with your new sig. (whatever you make it) is AHEAD of the in:inbox filter. Weird, but I tried everything until I figured out it HAS to be in that order...
Bingo. That is what it was. All I had to do was make sure it was first in the filter list and it worked like a charm. Thanks very much!
Old 07-08-2005, 08:05 AM   #73
Tim Koltek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Default Fusemail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmadrid
I agree, I forward, as well.
I use a mail service called Fusemail. What's so cool is that they will collect mail from AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo, and any pop or imap and then forward it to the BB. $19 a year!
Old 07-19-2005, 04:21 PM   #74
shadowlesss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

I have setup my gmail account to forward directly to my vzw.blackerry address and it still takes about 2 minutes to get my emails on my blackberry..someone above mentioned that he got his in 3-6 secs.....what kind of wait time is everyone else having??? Also , is anyone else able to setup gmail to retain the reply to email address even though you reply though the BWC?
Thanks
Old 07-19-2005, 09:59 PM   #75
deezmfnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlesss
I have setup my gmail account to forward directly to my vzw.blackerry address and it still takes about 2 minutes to get my emails on my blackberry..someone above mentioned that he got his in 3-6 secs.....what kind of wait time is everyone else having??? Also , is anyone else able to setup gmail to retain the reply to email address even though you reply though the BWC?
Thanks
5-15 seconds is my usual latency. It is near instantaneous with my gmail forward.

I am not sure that you mean by "setup gmail to retain the reply to email address even though you reply though the BWC?" clarify. If you mean you want messages sent from your blackberry to be FROM: [email address] then yes you can do that easily.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:10 PM   #76
jwaters

3 - 6 seconds or 2 minutes. Is there anyone that gets anything so important that a matter of a couple minutes is going to make a difference? Even the potential 15 minute wait for the BWC isn't bad. If it's that important they can call you or email directly to the BB.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:24 PM   #77
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I agree there isnt anything sent to me that I cant wait 15 minutes for
Old 07-19-2005, 11:47 PM   #78
deezmfnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
I agree there isnt anything sent to me that I cant wait 15 minutes for
To each their own. I love the immediate email. Do I really NEED it, no. But is it cool as hell, YES!
Old 07-20-2005, 04:51 PM   #79
shadowlesss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Here is what I meant by retaining the Reply-To information in my statement above...looks like someone is doing it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingoglia
I do have been using mine the same way since I got it last week.

I have a corporate account, and I control the mail server. I've found that gmail's spam filtering is much better than mine so I decided to use it to my advantage. I'm set up as follows:

My mail server is set up to forward all mail from my corporate account to my gmail account keeping the original reply to address. My mailbox is also set up to deliver mail locally to my local mailbox. Basically when a message comes in it just keeps a copy locally and forwards to gmail at the same time.

My gmail is set up to then forward and retain the original reply to and sends directly to my blackberry email account.

In short, a message is server side forwarded retaining orginal reply to addresses twice before it hits my blackberry. It works perfect, spam is filtered at gmail and I don't have to deal with it... best of all there's only about a 3-6 second delay when receiving mail.

Mike
Old 07-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #80
mingoglia

Model: 7290

That is correct. If you forward mail at the server and server should be able to keep the original reply to address. Basically the server is just taking the message and relaying it somewhere else without touching the header. In contrast, if you're using a mail client to download mail, then forward it somewhere else then the reply address will be the mail client that forwarded the mail. It's the difference between relaying mail, and downloading and then just forwarding mail.
Closed Thread