Old 12-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #61
seidioseidio
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
While I agree that all L-Ions are not created equal it is easy to "promiss" increased performance in the same size package but harder to deliver. There are so many ways to test and spec batteries that it is really hard to compare one brand from another. I have no doubt that "some" extra power would be available in a higher quality battery but little.

Is not Seidio in this to make money, too?
Actually it's not that difficult. The first is easily measurable. Batteries are rated in milliampere-hours (mAh). This is a measure of how much electrical current a battery can put out--and for how long.

Treo 700/650
OEM Battery - 1800mAh
Seidio Battery - 2400mAh
33% increase in the same size battery

Motorola Q
OEM Extended Battery - 1640mAh
Seidio Battery - 2100mAh
28% increase in the same size battery

The second would be running multiple batteries through the exact same situation and measuring the time they last.

Here's a real world test of our new 3200mAh PPC6700 battery (taken from the PDAPhoneHome forum):

Here are the results of some tests I did. The batteries involved were:
Seidio 3200mAh extended battery
Seidio 2400mAh extended battery
Lion Battery (Mugen) 2800mAh extended battery
'eBay' no brand 2400mAh extended battery (My testing indicates this to be 1800mAh, not 2400mAh)

Streaming live audio in Media Player over EVDO signal, backlight on full.
Seidio 3200mAh Extended Battery: 8 hours
Lion 2800mAh Extended Battery: 7 hours
Seidio 2400mAh Extended Battery: 6 hours
eBay 2400mAh (Really 1800mAh) Extended Battery: 3 hours, 30 minutes

All four of those batteries are the same size. I for one would much rather have the extra 4.5 hours.

Yes we are here to make money, which is why we create batteries that outperform the OEM's and our competitors. Our customers are too smart to fall for "promises" of more power without deliverance.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:20 PM   #62
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidioseidio
Here's a real world test of our new 3200mAh PPC6700 battery (taken from the PDAPhoneHome forum):

Here are the results of some tests I did. . .
Impressive and not surprising results. One gets what they pay for.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:31 AM   #63
SlavKO

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default question for you seidioseidio....

seidioseidio, will you be updating this thread when you have something available or will you start a new thread/post?

And thanks for 'educating the consumer'...it shows that you want the consumer to make an educated choice, whether they decide to buy one of your batteries or not.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:04 AM   #64
theanswriz42
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: t-mobile

Hey, I'm new to the board and just got my 8100 in the mail today. I would definitely be interested in purchasing an aftermarket battery if it was rated at a higher mAh than that of the OEM one with similar/same size.

Cheers
Old 12-21-2006, 06:15 AM   #65
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Battery ratings should be in equivalent mAh. The other variable is current drain, which should be the same using the same device, depending on usage of course. For instance pacemakers have a given mA battery installed, and if you set them at a lower voltage output the current drain goes down, so the battery lasts predictably longer, sometimes as much as 2 years.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #66
tacsniper
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers
Default Canada/International shipping

Is it possible for Seidio to offer this extended batter, car craddle and the just released 8100 cradle in a special price pakage when they all become available... I wanted the new 8100 carddle that you just released and take advantage of the 15% off, but to get FedEx shipping, I will have to pay $45 USD and the craddle is only like $27 USD? and I believe you said both the extended battery and the car craddle should be available some time in January... if you can pass this on to your marketing team or the right person, and consider this idea so for us the Canadian/International customers to get the most siedio products w/o paying an arm and a leg + a kidney that would be greatly apprecaited!

OR if there are any Calgary/Canada board member that would like to do a group order and split the shipping cost please let me know. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:27 AM   #67
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
On power duration and output in batteries of the same size, I know that some manufacturers use cheap or inferior materials, or otherwise cut corners, so the batteries do not perform well, notwithstanding the lies/claims made in advertising.

Far as I know, from investing in lithium battery stock in year 2000, there is a big difference in performance of lithium cells, depending on the quality of the material.
I agree but trusting a vendor to use these more expensive batteries will not be easy. I still do not see the same size, weight and chemistry type battery all of a sudden doubling it's output.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #68
BB8100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

I am good for 4 extended batteries as long as they do not change the current form factor. And price is a red herring. I will pay more to get a better product. Period. Innovation costs money and I will always pay to have technology that frees me. As one who was stranded during 9/11 and could not get to a charger for 9 hours I was very thankful to have a BB that could PIN with an extended battery. As was my wife and my parents. I will pay for this improved technology as unfortunately in my world it is essential.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #69
seidioseidio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacsniper
Is it possible for Seidio to offer this extended batter, car craddle and the just released 8100 cradle in a special price pakage when they all become available... I wanted the new 8100 carddle that you just released and take advantage of the 15% off, but to get FedEx shipping, I will have to pay $45 USD and the craddle is only like $27 USD? and I believe you said both the extended battery and the car craddle should be available some time in January... if you can pass this on to your marketing team or the right person, and consider this idea so for us the Canadian/International customers to get the most siedio products w/o paying an arm and a leg + a kidney that would be greatly apprecaited!

OR if there are any Calgary/Canada board member that would like to do a group order and split the shipping cost please let me know. Thanks!
Thanks for the input. I will pass this on to the marketing group.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:26 PM   #70
seidioseidio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavKO
seidioseidio, will you be updating this thread when you have something available or will you start a new thread/post?

And thanks for 'educating the consumer'...it shows that you want the consumer to make an educated choice, whether they decide to buy one of your batteries or not.
We will most likely start a new thread.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. We want to educate consumers as much as possible. I think there are a lot of myths and misconceptions when it comes to 3rd party manufacturers and their ability to create an equivalent quality product to the OEM. I sold high end audio for years, and I can assure you that Monster Cable builds much better A/V cables than the free set that come with your DVD player.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #71
DrMoze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes, pack-in cables are usually pretty shoddy. But seriously, are Monster cables that much better than moderately-priced well-shielded cables? Do they make enough of a visible/audible difference over decent cables to justify their huge price markup?

Sorry for straying off-topic. I really wanted to say I'd be very interested in a couple of high-capacity Pearl batteries when they are available, if they maintain the current form factor/battery cover. That would be a no-brainer in my book. And thanks for seeking input and posting info here. It makes good business sense, and seems to be a win-win approach.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:46 PM   #72
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Question Did I Miss Something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB8100
I am good for 4 extended batteries as long as they do not change the current form factor...
I thought the original Seidio posts said the battery would be coming with a battery cover/door [which will include speaker holes]. To me this implies that the phone will become thicker, by how much is unknown since that information has not been disclosed.

Terse debate strayed into how one manufacturer can pack more power in the same size battery over that of a "lesser" manufacturer. Seems then Members thought the announced extended battery would be the same size as the current OEM Pearl battery.

I'm NOT aware that the Seidio extended battery will be the same size as the one currently in our phones. It will be bigger requiring use of a cover.

Did I miss something?
Old 12-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #73
seidioseidio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
I thought the original Seidio posts said the battery would be coming with a battery cover/door [which will include speaker holes]. To me this implies that the phone will become thicker, by how much is unknown since that information has not been disclosed.

Terse debate strayed into how one manufacturer can pack more power in the same size battery over that of a "lesser" manufacturer. Seems then Members thought the announced extended battery would be the same size as the current OEM Pearl battery.

I'm NOT aware that the Seidio extended battery will be the same size as the one currently in our phones. It will be bigger requiring use of a cover.

Did I miss something?
We are actually working on both. We are going to maximize the mAh in the original OEM size and we're also going to have one that will extend the back of the 8100. The latter will come with the door but obviously the other one won't need it. I can't really disclose anything else right now.

Thanks,
Old 12-21-2006, 08:08 PM   #74
samples05

seidioseidio,

Will the new extended battery and battery door work with my current Seidio rubberized case and belt clip? I love my case and clip and don't think I could scarifice the function of those for a longer life battery. On the Other hand, if the new battery will work with the Rubberized case, I'm in for two batteries. I am also highly interested in the desk craddle and car craddle.

Thanks

B. Samples
Old 12-21-2006, 09:05 PM   #75
DrMoze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by samples05
seidioseidio,

Will the new extended battery and battery door work with my current Seidio rubberized case and belt clip? I love my case and clip and don't think I could scarifice the function of those for a longer life battery. On the Other hand, if the new battery will work with the Rubberized case, I'm in for two batteries. I am also highly interested in the desk craddle and car craddle.

Thanks

B. Samples
Feel free to re-read the post immediately preceding yours.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:03 AM   #76
robotpedlr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

It is very refreshing to see the quick (and very complete) repsonses from Seidio on this form. It definitely gives me a high level of comfort in their level of customer service and appreciation. I also appreciate their request for input into the design of future products.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2006, 02:18 AM   #77
TheBigNewt

Carrier: Tmobile

If Seidio can make one that's more efficient in the same size that could sell IMO. But a bigger size battery with a new door (with holes) would not work with their current skins/cases, so that may be a waste of time. You'd have to do a true test comparing the stock battery and the new one before anyone would invest (I bet) $50 in a new battery for a new phone that has a decent one to start with.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:09 PM   #78
Tixxx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: t-mobile

Cool stuff, I can't wait till these come to market!
Old 12-30-2006, 04:17 AM   #79
seidioseidio

Seidio just released the super extended battery for BB 8700G, 8700C and 8703e. we are not too far`away from releasing the one for BB 8100.

Seidio is pleased to release the 2400 mah super extended battery for 8700G, 8703e and 8700C.

BlackBerry Battery

Seidio
Old 12-30-2006, 04:49 AM   #80
damianp67
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular
Thumbs up

I have to agree that Seidio has proven to me through a number of purchases to be a great alternative vendor of phone accessories. Love their cases, docs, and batteries. And they communicate to us crackberry heads on this geek forum!
Closed Thread