BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #41
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

Please Login to Remove!

The settings for the Cingualr Wap browser are set to use the Blackberry APN the same as the BB browser. I was also worried about this as in Jan I used over 50 megs and a lot of trying of Google local. My bill came in and the charges were zero. I have also got that confirmed by one of the mods at Cingular forums where he did his checks and came back to me with the reply that using Google local is fine under the unlimited BB plan as it sets itself to use teh default APN's on the Blackberry APN.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #42
Obsidiank
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

NLK:

Before you give up on cingular, you should know that it is a common mistake of theirs to leave the WIX Pay Per use line even though you have the UNL BB. I had the WIX pay per use line on my account for a week before I called them and I had it removed. There should be either two or three web browsers. Cingular, Internet, and BB if you have BES.

Cingular is the WAP browser. Again, WAP is included with UNL BB. What do you people with older BBs use when their web devices don't have EDGE and can't view full webpages...wap. WAP has been the only means of internet browsing on mobile devices for a very long time. Thing are changing though.

Internet Browser is the one that uses the BlackBerry.net APN. It allows you to view full webpages using the EDGE connection. This was implemented about two weeks after the debut of 8700c.

Finally, BB Browser allows those of us with BES corporate servers to tunnel webpages through that, allowing us to also view full webpages sans using Blackberry.net

So, all in all...you should see data charges on your bill...because email, and have the EDGE network in general will use some data overhead. The fact that you have WIX pay per use on your features view means that you will be charge. Call them quick and get it removed.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #43
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidiank
Again, WAP is included with UNL BB.
That remains to be seen.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #44
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default To all trying to help with info...

Thanks. I certainly DID have the WIX pay-per-use removed.

I understand a bit better about the browsers: the Cingular one is WAP, what seems to be called the "Internet Browser" is what I call the BB browser because when you launch it it says "Blackberry" ! I don't have a third browser (I'm on BIS).

What obsidiank said above regarding the Cingular browser certainly makes sense. But in that case it seems there are TWO types of WAP: one for the Cingular browser and one for other, third party apps, chargeable. I really don't know.

I don't want to give up on Cingular. It's just that I can't risk having the 30 days expire and THEN finding out I've got excess data charges piling up. It took me 5 months, the BBB, FCC and my two senators to win a fight with Sprint and Nextel. I can't go through that again. And no one seems to know, definitively, under what configurations excess data charges will accrue. We're not even sure if we should see on-line data usage at all: it MIGHT be that all usage is shown or it might be that only excess, chargeable data is shown. So there's really no way to accurately monitor your data bill.

Right now I've got the two browsers (Cingular and Internet), Google Local, berry411, blank APN fields under TCP and, as of now, no WIX pay-per-use line on my plan. I'm going to monitor on-line my data usage and see if anything extra shows up, at least after today when I had the PPU removed. If it doesn't then I'll probably stick with Cingular; if it does I won't, even though I realize that doesn't NECESSARILY mean I'll be charged.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post the info.

=NLK=
Old 05-08-2006, 04:29 PM   #45
vap0r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular

wow. called up there.. this is the 10th time ive called to discuss wap and charges.. i asked the lady to remove the WIX feature and she said it isnt on there but pay per use internet still is.. are you farking kidding me? so she removed it and we'll see what happens.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #46
freebirdwil
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I have finally found my home planet!! As I read all the way through this thread I realized I was totally confused, but then it slowly dawned on me: This whole planet is confused, and I owe it all to Cingular. Long live the Cingularian Confusoids!!! oops got carried away there, nearly poped an EPROM...

2 cents follows: I have been going through this wonderful journey of unknowing called the Cingular Unlimited Blackberry plan with you all. My month just expired and I'm still seven days from a bill. I had to call twice to get the first partial bill straight and as dense as I am it was way clear that I knew more than the three techs I spoke too. Finally got one that even knew what a Blackberry was and made no progress towards enlightenment but did get the charges removed and was once again assured that I would have no charges beyond the 44.99 "as long as I used the blackberry.net APN in my TCP settings and not wap.cingular" I have an unlocked 8700c with Cingular. I have three browsers, used the Cingular browser for one ping and one ping only, as soon as I saw the old-time "Media-Net" I cut it and have been using the Blackberry Internet Browser with TCP set to blackberry.net every since. I have used tons of data and remapped the world with google satellite. The data mb's pile up on my Cingular account and I keep a bag packed by the door in case I get a bill that costs more than the google satellite! I was ready to bail every day before my 30 days but each time I re-called the Cingular Neurotic Therapy & Soothing Services and was assured that everything will be fine (only six days to go now). If anybody really knows anything, you can can be absolutely sure that they might be right! or not! If you don't hear from me after a week, please send help, I'll be one of those Orange guys spread out ready to be drawn and quartered by the Cingular collections department...
Long Live the Cinularian Confusoids!!! freebirdwil (day 24).
Old 05-08-2006, 10:27 PM   #47
taeisme
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

I am offically confused.....
Old 05-09-2006, 02:25 AM   #48
MooseBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Up :)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by taeisme
I am offically confused.....
So's cingular
Old 05-09-2006, 06:45 AM   #49
vap0r
Thumbs Must Hurt

(sorry for the double post but i had to make sure this was in the right thread)

i just got off the phone with the cingular people for the millionth time, im having the same problem with tcp and all of that.. I know the reason im gettin pay per use data charged is because im using wap.cingular as my tcp settings.. but thats the damned internet i dont care how you look at it.. so I got one of the reps i talked to to see my side on this.. she opened a "case" and gave me her CID #.. she said she's going to try to get me a good answer on this in the next couple days.. the reason they finally took it to this level is because i told them i would return the phone if they couldnt promise me I wouldnt get extra charges.. all this might and maybe stuff doesnt work in the world of money.. i really think this cingular WAP TCP issue should have a sticky or something.. it's a pretty big issue.. I will definitely keep yall updated in the next couple of days.

p.s. i know in the back of my mind the "case" is just going to reveal that wap/tcp is charging me and that they cant do anything about it which is ridiculous.. so I'm going to have to cancel my service. I love the phone so much though that i promise I'll be back with tmobile.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:49 AM   #50
fxstsb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: ATT

One thing I have to say positive about the Cingular BB experience; when I call for help from my BB, the prompt asks if I want BB Support.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #51
vap0r
Thumbs Must Hurt

I called cingular today to finally cancel.. the data rep informed me that as of yesterday noone with a blackberry will be charged for WAP access.. I'm calling a reliable rep to verify but I'm pretty sure this is the real deal.. crazy, i was just about to cancel.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #52
r0guenj
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: 305505FA

Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Get access to a bes (I use exchangemymail) and drop the wix on your account. Full access using any app and browser without getting hit for charges through cingular.