CZBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800T
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

T-mobile great CS, 24-7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseBerry
Train 'em and keep CS open until at least 11 PM and data support 24/7!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #22
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
I agree!

This practice of phones being exclusive to a certain carrier sucks!
The Blackberry exclusives have always been temporary (except in cases where technology limits which devices will work with a given carrier). I guess you could consider the 8700g "exclusive" to TMO but it's the same device as the 8700c/r. I don't consider cases like those to be exclusives.

Last edited by takeshi; 12-11-2006 at 10:42 AM..
Old 12-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #23
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I agree!

This practice of phones being exclusive to a certain carrier sucks!

I think it seriously reduces the number of units sold because many people do not want to switch carriers or do not know want to go through the hassle of unlocking the device.

Manufacturers out there, just create your new models & make them available to all carriers !

Cheers
I agree. This is the same situation that stagnated the game platforms in the 80's and 90's. When they had games that where only available on one particular platform. Their theory (for the platform manufacturers) was that it would force people to their product. The game producers got wise and saw the % of gamers they had no access to. Sure it happens every now and again with platforms, but very infrequently.

To even the playing field all carriers should offer the same wide variety of products. That way you would see more emphasis on quality of service from the providers, and less of the "exclusively on" garbage.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #24
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Well you could not make the EXACT same model for all cariers
The reson th 87xx's for tmom an cingular are simaller is because Both carriers use. Subscriber Information Moddule (sim) cards in All ofether Hamd sets Corizen sprint an crapii store the information temporalilly on EPROM that is embedded in the device
You go 3 Major carriors that don use sim tech they need to get with the prgram. It is to my knowledge that all the carriers based In the euroasin mraget all us sims
Old 12-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #25
TreyS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Wonder when VZ will have it..... Have to wait and see. :(

Last edited by TreyS; 12-11-2006 at 09:11 PM..
Old 12-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #26
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron
Yes your point is well taken, however I believe that they could complete the devices and then release them to all the carriers at the same time.

Cheers.......
Old 12-12-2006, 09:26 AM   #27
wayneholbrook
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
PIN: 20D214AB
Carrier: AT&T

Good day everyone,
I was wondering when BB comes out with a model such as the 8700g or 8700r
or the 8700c, I know the cases or different but is there any other differences on these models such as any software between the different compaines?
Old 12-12-2006, 11:26 AM   #28
allenranger2
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron
The reson th 87xx's for tmom an cingular are simaller is because Both carriers use. Subscriber Information Moddule (sim) cards in All ofether Hamd sets Corizen sprint an crapii store the information temporalilly on EPROM that is embedded in the device
You go 3 Major carriors that don use sim tech they need to get with the prgram. It is to my knowledge that all the carriers based In the euroasin mraget all us sims
Was this written with SureType? Lol! Just kidding. I do agree though.

BB 8700g & 9000 Bold AT&T
Old 12-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #29
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Yes your point is well taken, however I believe that they could complete the devices and then release them to all the carriers at the same time.

Cheers.......
My point exactly. The technology is available to make the phones capable for all service providers.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #30
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucejr
My point exactly. The technology is available to make the phones capable for all service providers.
Sure thing! Just whip out a single phone that is EV-DO RevA as well as HSDPA-2ndGen compatible. Would you like Fries with that?
Old 12-12-2006, 05:53 PM   #31
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Precisely!

It's not as though the US has 25 different carriers all with special needs.

I truly believe that if Rim was to introduce the 8800 model(s) at the same time for all carries the response would be really great.

The carriers would be happy, the buyers would be happy and RIM would certainly increase the revenue generated by the new model. By making it available to all subscribers, the sales numbers would be huge.

Speaking for myself as a satisfied Cingular customer, I was very eager to purchase a Pearl. However as we all know it was only available through T-Mobile when first introduced. While I have nothing against T-Mobile, I was not willing to switch providers just to get that model. Nor was I willing to invest the time and trouble to buy one, unlock it and then use it on Cingular.

While that is not that big of a deal, it is after all time consuming and time is never in abundance. At least with my busy schedule and I believe a lot of others are in this same situation.

In the final analysis, I waited and purchased a Pearl from Cingular. However I firmly believe there is no reason other than the money and politics involved when one carrier gets "an exclusive".

Cheers.......
Old 12-12-2006, 06:02 PM   #32
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

I waited for the Cingular Pearl, too. BUT, If RIM gives T-Mo an exclusive I will have to buy one and get it unlocked to run on Cingular as me and SureType are not getting along.

I do hope for a relase to both carriers at the same time.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:14 PM   #33
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
So, specifically, what technology is it that exists that allows a 'universal' modeled phone to fully function on all US carrier networks?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:52 AM   #34
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
Dude, don't make me comment about you learning to read, newbie!

I know enough about finance to run my company with 54 employees for the last 10 years!
At least paulbblc understood where I'm coming from. I'd figure someone that can run a company with 54 employees for 10yrs would. BTW, I'm an aspiring C.A.; all I want to do is Auditing in the forensic sense ;). I wasn't trying to insult you just pose a different point of view, just relax before you pull an artery and have someone else take over your company.

Geez to many ppl get wired up & dead serious over a product that still has not been released yet. Kinda childish to say someone cannot read. Interpretation is another thing and can differ by many ppl reading the same sentence, or paragraph - as how paulbblc replied to my post to enlighten me.

PS Dont assume that a post count is something that reflects intelligence on a subject and state someone being a "newbie". When most everyone on this forum stated that RIM would never bring a BB unit with camera or a picture, I was among a handful few that stated its security can be managed by service books with an indepth range of possibilities of managing that; some of which I still feel can come to fruition. Its late and I have no idea why I wanted to state that. ;)

Last edited by Jagga; 12-13-2006 at 03:55 AM..
Old 12-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #35
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
So, specifically, what technology is it that exists that allows a 'universal' modeled phone to fully function on all US carrier networks?
The same technology that allows 8703e to be on 5 different carriers (Cbeyond, Sprint, Verizon, U.S. Cellular, and Alltel) . Phone manufacturers do not dictate who they will model their phone for. The cellular service providers do this. Just like a game can be manufactured for PS3, X-Box 360, and WII, so can a phone be spec'ed for a particular provider. Bottlenecking the industry to one particular provider stagnates the dissemination of technology to the consumer. Blackberry's are made for Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint/Nextel, Cellular One, Cincinnati Bell, Dobson Cellular, SunCom, TCS, Edge Wireless, SoutherLINC Wireless, ALLTEL, NTelos, U.S. Cellular, Cbeyond, Cellular South, etc. etc. etc.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:17 AM   #36
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
The same technology that allows 8703e to be on 5 different carriers (Cbeyond, Sprint, Verizon, U.S. Cellular, and Alltel) .
Thanks for the clarification that this is not about technology, but about production staging. Otherwise, this same technology has existed since the development of the original cellular standards.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #37
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
Thanks for the clarification that this is not about technology, but about production staging. Otherwise, this same technology has existed since the development of the original cellular standards.
Gotcha. It boggles the mind, especially when you see the tech available in the Asian and European markets. I purchased my iMate Jasjar from UK before it was available (and still not directly available) here in the US. It used the same GSM I was using with TM USA as in TM UK. Came back to the BB though. Much more stable and fun to use.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:33 PM   #38
BBChristopher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

You have to agree though, when a device is developed, a choice is made as to what type of cellular tech is used. That decision will limit which carriers can offer that device. So, in a way, the manufacturer is deciding which carriers will use certain devices.

Ie: you can't take a pearl and use it on Sprint or Verizon. They both use the CDMA network. Pearl is GSM. That is not Sprint or Verizon's fault is it? So, in the manufacture of the Pearl, a choice was made to make it GSM at this time, and not CDMA.

Anyways, just my two cents... interesting discussion.
850, 950, 957, 7100, 7130, 8100, 8800, 8310, 9000
Old 12-13-2006, 09:51 PM   #39
BMWLotAttendant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: Verizon

I asked my local T-Mobile store last night when they are getting the shipments in for the 8800. They were all puzzled.

I explained to them that BB is making another phone like the Pearl called the 8800 and it's coming January/February and wanted to know if they knew anything. (Plus, I had a friend who worked there) The only thing they understood was when I said "Pearl", they all pulled them out their personal 8100s to show me...like this? Yes...I replied. (while rolling my eyes).

Oh yeah, my friend told me, some other guy came in asking the same thing....they had no clue what he was talking about, and he walked out.

And, apparently, you can't pre-pay and on the shipment date, walk in and walk out with it no questions asked. They told me...it would be first come, first serve. (I wasn't sure and was in the mood to ask questions).

Anywho, nothing here yet.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:11 AM   #40
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga
At least paulbblc understood where I'm coming from. I'd figure someone that can run a company with 54 employees for 10yrs would. BTW, I'm an aspiring C.A.; all I want to do is Auditing in the forensic sense ;). I wasn't trying to insult you just pose a different point of view, just relax before you pull an artery and have someone else take over your company.

Geez to many ppl get wired up & dead serious over a product that still has not been released yet. Kinda childish to say someone cannot read. Interpretation is another thing and can differ by many ppl reading the same sentence, or paragraph - as how paulbblc replied to my post to enlighten me.

PS Dont assume that a post count is something that reflects intelligence on a subject and state someone being a "newbie". When most everyone on this forum stated that RIM would never bring a BB unit with camera or a picture, I was among a handful few that stated its security can be managed by service books with an indepth range of possibilities of managing that; some of which I still feel can come to fruition. Its late and I have no idea why I wanted to state that. ;)
You kinda seem to be getting a little "wired up" yourself!!!
Closed Thread