Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 12:17 PM   #21
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

Again, it's been covered before. Some people are getting access to the wap APN for free others are not.

The bottom line is according to Cingular you are suposed to be charged.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:29 PM   #22
Obsidiank
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

I disagree. According to every single cingular rep I have spoken too (5+) and online tech chat (3+). The wap.cingular apn is included on the UNL BB plan. I also have never been charged anything.

If you are being charged, I suggest double checking to make sure WIX pay per use isn't on your profile...and to call cingular care to make sure wap.cingular is enabled in your profile.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #23
lgreenberg

Wow.

It's amazing how many different answers you get from Cingular.

CingularMK who is a Cingular data support rep. and who also posts here often also says it's not included.

I'd love to know the names of the 8 reps. You've spoken to so I could get one of them on the phone.

It really doesn't make much difference to me since I'm on BES and loving it.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:50 PM   #24
tmtracy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

I've also talked to CS a few times, and they would tell me that its included...and I have not been charged...
Old 02-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #25
Obsidiank
Thumbs Must Hurt

Igreenburg,

Go to forums.cingular.com and click on the tech support chat link. Talk to a chat rep and ask them about the wap.cingular apn vs. Blackberry.net apn.

I just finished chatting with another rep..answer...wap.cingular is included with blackberry UNL.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #26
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c

From a Cingular Sales Manager, APN is inculded. Any charges should be viewed as errors
Old 02-15-2006, 01:34 PM   #27
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidiank
Igreenburg,

Go to forums.cingular.com and click on the tech support chat link. Talk to a chat rep and ask them about the wap.cingular apn vs. Blackberry.net apn.

I just finished chatting with another rep..answer...wap.cingular is included with blackberry UNL.
This is the problem....

I just don't have the strength to deal with it anymore.

For every person that posts here "I'm not being charged for the wap APN" I'll show you five others who are.

For every person that posts here "I just talked to a Cingular rep. and he told me the wap APN is included" I'll show you five others who say it's not.

I myself have talked to several data support Cingular reps. one or two told me it was included. The others said it was not.

I just want a straight answer from Cingular.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:58 PM   #28
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidiank
Igreenburg,

LOL

They don't have a clue......

This is what I mean when I say no one at Cingular gives you the same answer.

It's comical.

I'll let you know what he comes back with.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #29
lgreenberg

Now what do you guys have to say?

Old 02-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #30
lgreenberg

And finally just to confirm.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:41 PM   #31
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

lgreenberg has the story right, one I have just about given up on. I am one that was happy for the first 4 months with no charges and the last 4 months have had charges. They are nice enough to claim they are wrong and remove them each month, but it is a pain in the butt and I assume one day they will refuse to remove the charges, and I will then have to either move to another carrier or go to a BES for additional cost.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:30 PM   #32
ceebz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 23F2E165

It really is ridiculous that Cingular doesn't include the wap apn in their BB plan. Verizon does, and if I'm not mistaken, T-Mobile does as well.

If and when Verizon gets their data roaming act together, I'll make the switch again. Even though I'm on a BES, and it makes absolutely no impact on me, it pisses me off to no end.

$45 for unlimited email? Whoopity-doo.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:38 PM   #33
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

OK, just for laughs. Data started showing up in the Internet & Downloads part of my online bill. Again, I'm just using the Cingular and BB browsers, berry411 and GoogleLocal but I've made NO entries in the APN under TCP. Those fields are blank.

So I call up Cingular/BBSupport and the CSR tells me that data will be charged pay-per-use if I'm using the Blackberry Browser but not the Cingular one! So, I say, I have a BB unlimited plan but I'll be charged if I use the BB browser but not the Cingular one? Yes, you will, he says triumphantly! After about 10 seconds of silence on my end he probably figured this wasn't going over too well, as well as sounding stupid, and so he'd better rethink things. Then he says: no, I've made a mistake (OK, that's fair). So now it's: I'll be charged if I use the INTERNET browser instead of the BB or Cingular one. See, it seems there are THREE browsers on my BB. But I only see TWO, I tell him. Well, he says, the Service Book is there and watch out because the browser will crop up one day and you'll have to be careful not to use it by accident.

OK. At this point I just want to hang up and get the h*ll away from Cingular. But before I call and cancel the service let me ask the cognoscenti here one thing: is it normal for data (no charges attached yet) to show up in my Internet & Downloads section? That is, might it just be normal BB data that will be covered by my plan? Or is data not listed unless it's pay-per-use (I've got about 800KB now)? I searched and saw an old post asking basically this same question but it never caught a reply. I'm hoping this time it'll be different.

Thanks in advance for any info (at least about the bill).

=NLK=
Old 02-16-2006, 08:30 PM   #34
DallasAtty
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

First post, new to BlackBerry.

I only have the Cingular Browser on my 8700c. I called Cingular's BlackBerry support line . . . (800) 304-3044 . . . and asked about this and the lady had little idea what I was talking about. She asked if there was a problem with the Cingular Browser. No, but I understand there's a difference and I'm supposed to have both. She said she'd re-send the service books, but that I should just use the Cingular Browser.

I had called earlier about the WAP thing and they said it was already on my plan. Google Local wasn't working, but then I deleted the service book (from their FAQ) and it started working. So I guess I've got it. Not to mention the fact that the Cingular Browser, according to the same CSR above, is a WAP browser. Anyway, I don't know what I need or what I've got at this point. I have seen that I can't get the Themes from Blackberry.com because it says I need a color screen and 4.1 . . . both of which I obviously have. I'm lost.

What should I do, if anything?
Old 02-16-2006, 09:09 PM   #35
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010
OK, just for laughs. Data started showing up in the Internet & Downloads part of my online bill. Again, I'm just using the Cingular and BB browsers, berry411 and GoogleLocal but I've made NO entries in the APN under TCP. Those fields are blank.

So I call up Cingular/BBSupport and the CSR tells me that data will be charged pay-per-use if I'm using the Blackberry Browser but not the Cingular one! So, I say, I have a BB unlimited plan but I'll be charged if I use the BB browser but not the Cingular one? Yes, you will, he says triumphantly! After about 10 seconds of silence on my end he probably figured this wasn't going over too well, as well as sounding stupid, and so he'd better rethink things. Then he says: no, I've made a mistake (OK, that's fair). So now it's: I'll be charged if I use the INTERNET browser instead of the BB or Cingular one. See, it seems there are THREE browsers on my BB. But I only see TWO, I tell him. Well, he says, the Service Book is there and watch out because the browser will crop up one day and you'll have to be careful not to use it by accident.

OK. At this point I just want to hang up and get the h*ll away from Cingular. But before I call and cancel the service let me ask the cognoscenti here one thing: is it normal for data (no charges attached yet) to show up in my Internet & Downloads section? That is, might it just be normal BB data that will be covered by my plan? Or is data not listed unless it's pay-per-use (I've got about 800KB now)? I searched and saw an old post asking basically this same question but it never caught a reply. I'm hoping this time it'll be different.

Thanks in advance for any info (at least about the bill).

=NLK=
Cingular becomes more laughable every day.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:13 PM   #36
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasAtty
First post, new to BlackBerry.

I only have the Cingular Browser on my 8700c. I called Cingular's BlackBerry support line . . . (800) 304-3044 . . . and asked about this and the lady had little idea what I was talking about. She asked if there was a problem with the Cingular Browser. No, but I understand there's a difference and I'm supposed to have both. She said she'd re-send the service books, but that I should just use the Cingular Browser.

I had called earlier about the WAP thing and they said it was already on my plan. Google Local wasn't working, but then I deleted the service book (from their FAQ) and it started working. So I guess I've got it. Not to mention the fact that the Cingular Browser, according to the same CSR above, is a WAP browser. Anyway, I don't know what I need or what I've got at this point. I have seen that I can't get the Themes from Blackberry.com because it says I need a color screen and 4.1 . . . both of which I obviously have. I'm lost.

What should I do, if anything?
If you're using BIS you should have two browsers. CINGULAR & INTERNET.

If you're using BES you should have three browsers. CINGULAR, INTERNET and your EXCHANGE BROWSER.

Sometimes Cingular doesn't enable access to the INTERNET browser. I suggest you call back and try for another rep. who knows what he/she is talking about (good luck) and ask them if it's enabled for you.

Have you tried re-registering as well?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:03 PM   #37
ceebz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 23F2E165

Unlocked my 8700 today, (thanks GSMPhonesource) and I'm giving serious thought about making the switch to T-Mobile.

T-Mobile coverage here in Colorado is pretty good. However, I take regular trips through Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota. I'm a little worried about coverage in those areas. Anyone have any experience with T-Mobile in those areas?

Old 02-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #38
TChachra
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Default Some of them Know

I just called Cingular after switching my 8700c from Blue to Orange.
I didnt have the internet provisioning turned on...thus no internet browser. I called and spoke to a knowledgable REP. Had my internet browser back in less then 10 seconds.

Some of them know what they are talking about.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #39
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010
OK, just for laughs. Data started showing up in the Internet & Downloads part of my online bill.
Unfortunately, the online screen doesn't show pay verses free data, just data, so you really can't tell if it is good or bad until you get the bill. It would make the screen so much more useful if they included the data type and cost, but it would also probably cause their incoming complaint calls to go from monthly to daily
Old 02-17-2006, 11:52 AM   #40
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_mitch
Unfortunately, the online screen doesn't show pay verses free data, just data, so you really can't tell if it is good or bad until you get the bill. It would make the screen so much more useful if they included the data type and cost, but it would also probably cause their incoming complaint calls to go from monthly to daily
You are absolutely correct, sir! Unfortunately, by the time my bill comes through my 30 days will have expired and I'll be stuck. Last night while I was trying to get to sleep (I do some of my best research at night) I began to panic, thinking that it should have been obvious to me that the CINGULAR browser was basically MediaNet and therefore chargeable at pay-per-use rates while using the BB browser would be included in the BB Unlimited Plan. Even though there's nothing in my TCP APN settings Cingular must have somehow enabled the WAP APN (hence the WIX pay-per-use line on my plan) and will be running the meter for everything done through the Cingular browser.

All in all, it's too much to have to worry about. I actually DO have better things to do with my time. And while I can certainly understand people wanting to stay with Cingular (e.g. lgreenberg with the "no-worry" BES) I'm going to pack the thing up and return it. Before I do, however, I might try to get hold of one of those "good" reps mentioned above and see if I can get a straight story about data charges, but without a direct number it's sort of CSRussian roulette (with only one chamber empty).

Thanks for the post.

=NLK=
Closed Thread