BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #21
comfycoxy

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange

Please Login to Remove!

I came across this thread when searching for UMA with Blackberry Orange. It has provided me with an insight into UMA.

Could someone please just clarify and sum up what UMA is and why my 8120 has started to display it on the home screen?! I am in the UK, on the Orange network, and have it connected to my home wifi network which has the ISP Sky broadband.

I have noticed that frequent calls are failing when it is displaying UMA.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #22
Joe Burns

Model: 7100T
Carrier: A

[QUOTE=markbb99;841386][QUOTE=Joe Burns;841235]

I know the connections are going through orange servers, due to the UMA info on the wifi diagnostics screen, but I am hoping that free calls between UMA devices will come in, if they havent already, as surely this requires less 'work' from the orange networking system?
Quote:

You really need to think as your wifi point being the replacement for the GSM tower. UMA does not permit direct UMA calls between handsets in the way you mention. There may of course be a method for billing UMA to UMA - but I can't imagine that a carrier would want to go down that route as how would you know that the person you were calling was on wifi or not. Doesn't the Orange 'Unique' service already offer a UMA free calling package???
Just to update this thread, I had this conversation with orange via email. Obviously it is not a written guarantee, but I will have to wait for the evidence in the billing now UMA is working in the office again:

Hello Joe,

I have no details available to me for the actual costs, but would assume that if the calls are being made through a hub/router within an office or home rather than by connecting to the network there would be no call costs.

I have checked with a colleague in our data team and she advised that the connection is local and not to the orange network so any costs should come from your internet connection.
Kind regards

Implementation Administrator
Northern Implementation Team
Business Customer Services
Web: Orange UK Home Page
Meridian, Yarm Road, Darlington, County Durham, DL1 4XW
xxx61520;xxx61472; please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 19 February 2008 10:35
To: BCS, Implementation

Heather,

These figures are slightly out of what we had agreed with the salesperson, but my enquiry was more enquiring to find out how calls made over a UMA connection were charged, due to the data being transmitted over a wifi connection?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 02-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #23
Joe Burns

Model: 7100T
Carrier: A

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfycoxy View Post
I came across this thread when searching for UMA with Blackberry Orange. It has provided me with an insight into UMA.

Could someone please just clarify and sum up what UMA is and why my 8120 has started to display it on the home screen?! I am in the UK, on the Orange network, and have it connected to my home wifi network which has the ISP Sky broadband.

UMA stands for Unlicensed Mobile access and is also know as Generic Access Network (GAN). Your 8120 will be managing to connect to the network via UMA, so if you try to call using it, it sounds like it is on a weak signal. There seems to be a lot of trouble with these connections at the minute, so you may want to turn off UMA or change your connection preferences if you can.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #24
jetcola

Model: 8320
Carrier: orange

Today my 8320 kept connecting to UMA (strong signal) but when UMA was displayed I could not send SMS and the calls I tried to make failed, I have set mobile connections to GPRS.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #25
chippyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfycoxy View Post

My ISP is Sky and i'm on the Orange network using an 8320.

UMA has just suddenly started working again.

Quick and probably dim question. Do I need UMA to be working to be able to use my home Wi Fi to surf and send emails?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #26
DJBoozy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: ifone
PIN: no more, Imessage :(
Carrier: Orange UK Business

The Test calls i did last night at 9PM last night using UMA Only (turning Mobile Network off 1st) - DID NOT SHOW UP in my unbilled useage.

so free calls maybe? - or more replies doubting this?

Last edited by DJBoozy; 02-19-2008 at 03:05 PM..
Old 02-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #27
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcola View Post
I am on Orange with a B.T. broadband. My 8320 is showing UMA and the Blackberry Internet Service is showing UMA, will I still be using my 6mb of Blackberry service from orange while at home or by using UMA will it be using my broadband usage?

Does anyone know if I can upgrade my 6mb of data use from orange to something more? without keep paying £2 for every 1mb I go over?

many thanks.
Oranges BB plan is pretty lousy innit? Go for o2 or T mobile next time they are much more generous.

I beleive you can add on a 30mb data package from Orange for £8.00 which is better than paying £2 per mb. This will then give you 36mb which is still not a lot ( I get 200mb with o2). You should be able to do quite a bit with 36mb anyhow and I suggest you download the free MINI MONI data counter, it counts in bytes or Kilobytes ( 1024kb =1mb). Just google for Mini Moni or Mini Monitor and download the one that has the same version number as your operating system. To find yours go to options > about and you should see something like 4.2.x.xxx and if that is correct download the version for 4.2. If it says 4.1.x.xxx then download ther version for 4.1
Old 02-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #28
k8jns

Default Uma

Hi, I have UMA also on my blackberry, it appeared briefly yesterday and its working tonight. I have made no changes to my handset, orange have just launched this product.

I made several phone calls and sent and received sms perfectly. There was a slight delay on the calls (this is the pleasure of voip calls!).
Where we live there is absolutely no mobile phone signal so it did come as a small surprise when it said Orange on my phone and allowed me to make a call (although I had read about networks in America doing this, it took a while to realise what was happening!)

It appears orange as still testing so calls maybe free for a while or they might bite you later. The calls as supposed to cost the same as if you were talking on your mobile across gsm, and UMA is accessiable across any broadband connection using a compatiable router (if the wifi works, the uma should work). Some routers allow you to prioritise voice, giving you a higher quality calls.

Orange customer services are usually the last to know and I have spoken with a couple of guys at orange who are generally quite excited about this! I used to work for orange so my guess is the billing system might not catch up with the new technology for a while so use it and enjoy it (although my partner wont be impressed with my mobile working at home!)

Kate
North Devon Cottages - Millbrook Cottages - 4 Star Self Catering
Old 02-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #29
jetcola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
Oranges BB plan is pretty lousy innit? Go for o2 or T mobile next time they are much more generous.

I beleive you can add on a 30mb data package from Orange for £8.00 which is better than paying £2 per mb. This will then give you 36mb which is still not a lot ( I get 200mb with o2). You should be able to do quite a bit with 36mb anyhow and I suggest you download the free MINI MONI data counter, it counts in bytes or Kilobytes ( 1024kb =1mb). Just google for Mini Moni or Mini Monitor and download the one that has the same version number as your operating system. To find yours go to options > about and you should see something like 4.2.x.xxx and if that is correct download the version for 4.2. If it says 4.1.x.xxx then download ther version for 4.1
Thanks, I will give orange a call and upgrade, 6mb is very poor. About time orange followed O2 and T-Mobile and offered a more mb.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:05 AM   #30
Slippery Pete

Model: 8820

All

I can say CATOGORICALLY that you will be charged for calls made via the UMA connection. I know the product manager for the service and he has confirmed this to me personally. The product is called xxx8220;Uniquexxx8221;, and there are plans to officially open this up to all ISPs, but currently they are trialling this -hence why you can all connect today.

But you need to be careful on call costs xxx8211; they are chargeable as per your usual tariff plan.

I hope that helps close this outstanding question.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #31
blackberrykev

Carrier: btinternet
Default UMA but no email

UMA connects via BT Internet / Home Hub. I can send and recieve UMA calls and SMS (switched mobile off just to make sure) but it does not send or receive email (btinternet.com or blackberry.orange.co.uk - any clues?

call costs - BT Fusion is a UMA service and they have cheaper call costs - VOIP with truephone is free (albiet SIP rather than UMA)

kev
Old 02-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #32
Wattie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange (UK)

I am thinking of getting an 8820 BB with Orange in the UK and found this doing a search for Orange to see what people thought of it.
Just out of interest, this feature where you can make calls over a Wi-fi connection, will it work in other countries? Being able to call for the cost of your usual calls from overseas would be a huge advantage.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #33
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

You guys make me jealous (I'm from the APAC region); now at least I know UMA is going global.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #34
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattie View Post
I am thinking of getting an 8820 BB with Orange in the UK and found this doing a search for Orange to see what people thought of it.
Just out of interest, this feature where you can make calls over a Wi-fi connection, will it work in other countries? Being able to call for the cost of your usual calls from overseas would be a huge advantage.
You can make calls as long as you're able to connect to Wi-Fi. When you're out and about overseas, UMA calling is the way to go. More details here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...explained.html

You can also get emails and PINs over Wi-Fi with no data roaming charges, just make sure to only turn on your data services when you're in a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Last edited by ricpac; 02-24-2008 at 09:24 PM..
Old 02-25-2008, 05:24 AM   #35
Slippery Pete

Default UMA international

All, i have checked with my mate again, and NO you cannot use this UMA function internationally. This will only work in the UK. And remember you will get charged for calls you make as per standard tariff. Dont get caught out!
Old 02-25-2008, 06:46 AM   #36
ukbob

Default Working on Sky BB with my orange 8820

Saturday my 8820 started indicating I was on UMA and have made and received calls and email works fine. Called orange and they said no BB was supported officially. I have no idea if and how the call charges work as there is nothing on the Orange Website about this and the person on the phone was fairly unclear.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:16 AM   #37
Slippery Pete

you will get charged as per normal - thats how the calls work!!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #38
renigade

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile (UK)

Hello all,

I have an 8320 from orange but have had it unlocked and am using it on T-Mobile (UK) I have web and walk and the blackberry data plan enabled I am able to use my home wi-fi connection to surf the internet and to send and recieve emails however, I have never been able to get UMA working? When I do a wi-fi diagnostic it says UMA wi-fi Available with a green tick next to it but has a red cross for connection? Error status is problem with ISP or T-Mobile network?
Can anyone help me? Do I need to do anything to my router? I am using the BT Home Hub.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #39
Slippery Pete

this is likely to be due to the fact you are not on the orange network
Old 02-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #40
renigade

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile (UK)

But if you turn off your mobile network connection don't you still get UMA?
If there is no mobile network connection how does it know what network you are with?
Closed Thread