Old 07-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #21
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
My major problem with cell phone cameras is the resolution stinks!
So why bother?
I agree - but tell that to market demand.. there IS demand..

I suspect there will be camera-free options for us corporate-folks.. don't worry..

and if you have a SLR -- you should have it on you at all possible times. Obviously you won't sneak it into a concert.. but i can't stand the resolution on any camera phones. Period =)
Old 07-12-2006, 12:56 AM   #22
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint

Expansion card and WiFi support and a camera would perfect the 7130c...
Old 07-15-2006, 04:45 PM   #23
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

ok, couple different things here....

First, if someone was going to hack a BlackBerry to add in a thumbdrive, don't you think it would be easier for them to put a compartment into their boot and have the thumbdrive in there? Not only that, if someone is THAT determined to get some sort of electronics in so that they can get information out, then it doesn't matter what is banned at the door, that person is still going to find a way.

For ntjones:
You go ahead and post that reply to every post where someone says they don't want a camera....that's your opinion to their opinion. There's going to be just as many that support your opinion as theirs, so why make it seem like you're going to be a jerk about it?

And lastly....InPocket's comment about a bluetooth camera. IF you could somehow get the image onto a BlackBerry, you couldn't send it as an attachment from the BlackBerry....just not a feature.

Waving in a BlackBerry because you know that it doesn't have a camera isn't that bad. Just about every cell phone has a camera, and just about everyone has one of said cell phones. By eliminating those and not a BlackBerry might not be a 100% security guarantee, but at least you can be sure that about 90%-95% of the camera threat has been taken care of.

I want to design a device that will completely disrupt any sort of cmos or ccd based camera (i think that's what cell phones use)...that would rock..i'd be absolutely rich. People could still bring their phones into gyms (for example) but if they tried to take a picture, all they got was a blank image....oh man, i'm patenting that idea now

Zro
Old 07-15-2006, 09:32 PM   #24
wlong995
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

Since security has always been a primary concern for RIM, they could always make the camera function dependant on a card key that could be surrendered in secure areas rather than the whole device.
I'm sure RIM will be careful not to aleinate the clientel that they've built their business on.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:43 PM   #25
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Word on the street is that rim is workiong a camera. If it were to come out, it would prob be in a year. This is suprising because RIM's number one customer is still the US government.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #26
bossfn

No one said that every device from now on will have a camera in it...

I agree that camera phones are garbage -- it's purely for novelty. mp3 wouldn't be if it had some decent storage. God knows I only have so many pockets, and ipod/cell phone/blackberry/wallet/keys are already too much to carry. Plus, I refuse to wear a hip holster.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:13 AM   #27
northfield

Model: 7250

Hi, I would love to have a blackberry with a camera the BB is my only internet connection. I would be able to send pics to my kids
Old 07-16-2006, 11:39 AM   #28
northfield

Model: 7250
Smile need help using the BB

Hi, I need some help using the Bberry. Can I print stuff, can I send pictures that are on my Bberry. Hope someone can answer those questions for me. Hope it doesn't sound. Stupid
Old 07-17-2006, 08:59 AM   #29
mrogers
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Emery
Interesting points from opposite views.

BB has to offer a camera to compete for new markets, yet without alienating/compromising value for current market share. ...

I guess RIM could come out with a line that is all silver (like a treo, etc) to differentiate, which would solve the problem fro RIM but also validate the 'points' of their competitors' arguments.
I completely agree. They have to do it to keep growing, but they can't compromise their core customer base. With regards to product differentiation, as I've said before I think the best idea would be for RIM to spawn a completely separate line of consumer devices, since they seem to want to break into the mainstream consumer market so bad (just look at their web site redesign). A distinctly separate but still obviously related line of consumer devices could be crammed full of cameras, removable memory, and whatever else the market demands, while still keeping the BlackBerry line itself as secure as ever.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #30
ntjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zro
For ntjones:
You go ahead and post that reply to every post where someone says they don't want a camera....that's your opinion to their opinion. There's going to be just as many that support your opinion as theirs, so why make it seem like you're going to be a jerk about it?Zro
Who's being a jerk? Maybe you didnt notice the at the end of my post.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #31
stripesace

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

RIM is smart enough to know that they'll have to have a consumer and a proffesional line....

think about other areas of markets where there are consumer, and proffesional lines of products.....
Old 07-18-2006, 03:56 AM   #32
makkystyle
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me there already are distinct consumer and professional lines.... suretype models and full qwerty models. It's pretty obvious that the suretype phones will get things like camera's, MP3 players and other "consumer" apps, while the full keyboard phones will not. Wasn't it T-mobile that had the 7100 first... They are easily the least business oriented service provider in the US so it makes sense they would pick up the 7100 first.

edit: this also solves all the "security crises" theories for moving into technology like cameras. If it has a full keyboard, government will allow it, if it doesn't then they won't.

Last edited by makkystyle; 07-18-2006 at 03:59 AM..
Old 07-18-2006, 08:14 AM   #33
mrogers

Carrier: AT&T

Although I have to concede that makes sense, I hope that's not the direction they take. Because I would like a full-keyboard device (can't stand SureType) with a camera and maybe removeable memory. Basically, if I could have a camera in my 8700c, I'd have the perfect device for me.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:22 PM   #34
sbennett

Model: 8700g

JUST MY OPINION:

I believe this is why BB has developed blackberry connect for other devices such as the new Samsung flip phone with blackberry connect. It is a Samsung phone with 1.3 megapixel camera, micro SD (t-flash) memory card, speech recognition, QWERTY keyboard, mp3 player, etc, etc.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #35
sbennett

Model: 8700g

check out http://www.mobiledia.com/phones/samsung/sgh-t719.html to see pics of the new samsung.

I apoligize about the error in my last statement. It is a SureType and not QWERTY, which still beats a standard keypad anyday of the week.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:02 PM   #36
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I understand what most are saying about the camera resolution. But honestly, I dont feel like carrying a camera and a phone around all the time. It is nice to have the feature built in, even if I have to sacrifice a little resolutinonm. To be honest. I was given a PPC and I have taken pictures with its camera that people were shocked about. They couldnt believe it was from a phone.

As for the MP3, my PPC also has window mobile media player. It is nice because I can transfer my songs to my device and listen to my music while i was at work. At this very moment I am listening to "Live like you were dying".

The main idea is convenience. Yea I could carry an Ipod and a camera, and a phone (blackberry or PPC), but I dont want to keep up with all of that stuff. If they can make a stable device that doesnt experience resets and keeps reliable email that has all of those features, then I want that. Less for me to carry. more for me to enjoy

to see some of the pics I have taken check here, keep in mind that the really good ones were not included because they were nudies: Overall the camera isnt that bad. Some of the pics I have on there though are kind of dark .

www.coreyslifeinpictures.blogspot.com
Old 07-19-2006, 02:46 PM   #37
wlong995
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
The main idea is convenience. Yea I could carry an Ipod and a camera, and a phone (blackberry or PPC), but I dont want to keep up with all of that stuff.
I agree. I carry enough stuff around every day already. Switching to a camera/mp3 phone isn't an option. I depend too much on my Blackberry to keep myself organized and efficient. I would love an mp3 player on my BB. I could do without the camera, but I would take one if it was offered. Sometimes even a crappy picture is worth a thousand words.

And...coreyg510...you're right. I can't believe those pics came from a phone. My wife's i870 takes terrible pictures, but she takes a ton of our 2 year old.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #38
Dragonslayer

Model: 7130t

you're not kidding. Those pics are pretty good. I cant wait for a decent camera BB to come out.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:30 PM   #39
holywarrior74
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistWalker
I feel your pain. I no longer have Cingular and left for the reasons you cited. As to the upcoming BlackBerries, I am all for expansion, because I realize that these companies are not charities, but I find it interesting that the CEO cites security as RIM's number one priority, yet they are adding cameras to their devices. I know the CEO means security for data, but there are other security concerns, and unless certain companies/institutions/organizations change their policies on cameras in the workplace, then adding a camera does little to ensure security for certain companies/institutions/organizations. RIM needs to make sure that they offer a camera and a camera-less version of these devices. One of the reason I am a "Crackberry" addict is because BB devices have no cameras. I could certainly use expandable memory and/or a touch screen, among other features, but I currently have zero need for a camera.

But obviously there is a large enough number of people wanting these features otherwise why would RIM even bother. I personally would love to have a camera on my 7100i

Praise GOD in all his ways
BB 8100 Pearl
Pin 23DE8558
Old 07-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #40
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Before the flames start, I will say that this post is not meant to be sarcastic/mean/harsh/flame inducing/whatever.

For those of you that carry BB, ipod, DigiCam, Portable DVD player, etc, and want a camera and/or MP3 playback on the BB so that you don't have to carry as much, why not keep the BB (for phone and/or email) and pick up a Treo or other Smartphone to reduce the number of devices? BB and Treo cuts the count down from 3 or 4 to 2....depending on what all the Treo is used to replace.

I can understand that this isn't exactly merging them all into one device, but wouldn't an option like that partially satisfy both sides of the equation? RIM doesn't have to make a 'converged' device, you get to carry around less items, and you still get the amazing email of the BB.

Again, this is just an idea, not meant to be a "stop whining" type post. I myself don't carry more than my BB, so I'm not sure if a BB and Treo would be a good solution instead of a BB, iPod, Camera, whatever.

Zro
Closed Thread